The Ashes Thread - Cricket

Just to check, because the feverish aftermath coverage seems a little unbalanced, we didn't win the Test, did we? We didn't build an innings, again? Smith still scored 92. Archer took five wickets in the game, not an innings. Australia still lead the series.

Because it seems some folk are going down rabbit holes but ignoring all that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Just to check, because the feverish aftermath coverage seems a little unbalanced, we didn't win the Test, did we? We didn't build an innings, again? Smith still scored 92. Archer took five wickets in the game, not an innings. Australia still lead the series.

Because it seems some folk are going down rabbit holes but ignoring all that.

Behave. We did as much as was possible in the 3ish days that were available. Smith, and to a large extent Lyon, have gone from invincible to mortal in a couple of days, and Buttler and Bairstow should have gained some confidence from how they played in the second innings. Leach looked good yesterday.

We still have one opener who is not currently worth a shirt (so do they), and Root isn't performing.

You are right that we get nowt for it and we have to win this weekend. I am sure the Yorkshire weather will oblige.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

Behave. We did as much as was possible in the 3ish days that were available. Smith, and to a large extent Lyon, have gone from invincible to mortal in a couple of days, and Buttler and Bairstow should have gained some confidence from how they played in the second innings. Leach looked good yesterday.

We still have one opener who is not currently worth a shirt (so do they), and Root isn't performing.

You are right that we get nowt for it and we have to win this weekend. I am sure the Yorkshire weather will oblige.

Just a bit more balance is all I ask.

Was very surprised by Lyon, to be honest.

Root is also baffling but you'd still trust him to find some form soon.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Do we believe in momentum ? I’ve heard that word a lot looking ahead . We have the edge , we have the momentum . Is that a tangible ‘ thing ‘ when you start a new game with two pretty even teams . Bottom line is we’re still one down and need to go again and get a result . It’s on a knife edge now . More of the same entertainment wise though please it’s been great viewing . Nothing like the Ashes contests

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Just a bit more balance is all I ask.

Was very surprised by Lyon, to be honest.

Root is also baffling but you'd still trust him to find some form soon.

I think that's fair to be honest.

It seems Archer is being seen as the answer to all problems, and if Root's not careful, he'll run him into the ground. Woakes and Leach each had a better strike rate than Archer, and while Archer unsettling batsmen will have contributed to other wickets, I think Root needs to trust his other bowlers more.

Can see an attack or Broad, Anderson, Archer and leach playing at Old Trafford, the top 7 had best find some form.

4 hours ago, phiggins said:

I think that's fair to be honest.

It seems Archer is being seen as the answer to all problems, and if Root's not careful, he'll run him into the ground. Woakes and Leach each had a better strike rate than Archer, and while Archer unsettling batsmen will have contributed to other wickets, I think Root needs to trust his other bowlers more.

Can see an attack or Broad, Anderson, Archer and leach playing at Old Trafford, the top 7 had best find some form.

If Anderson's fitness can be trusted, that would take a bit of the workload off Archer. This has turned into an intriguing series... at least 'til there's a double England collapse at Headingley, that is.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

If Anderson's fitness can be trusted

He's not in the squad for the next Test and has a single Second XI game lined up.

The man's running on devotion. You won't find a harder working player but his body's not up to it now.

In part, because he was always the answer and England bowled him into the ground.

I think we are lining Jimmy up to play at Old  Trafford , for right or wrong , most probably for Woakes . That seems to be the word . An issue intertwined with this is the total lack of first class cricket in the meat of the season and as prep for test cricket . 

England doing better than expected with a welcome return to form of Ben Stokes and Jonny Bairstow. Pleased to see Jonny B back in the runs as due to his Dad he has a psychological need to keep wicket. Give the unwarranted stick he has got from the fourth estate since the world cup, all I can say is that I see a lot of his rival Ben Foakes and need to post:

• a) he is not in form and playing T20
  • b) he is not that much better a keeper than Jonny

Though you can expect the 2019 version of the old Alec Stewart v Jack Russell debate from the 1990's to re-heat before too long.

Dismayed at Jofra Archer's workload with 48 overs, Archer is a strike bowler who should be used in short bursts of 4 overs as per Australia with Mitchell Johnson in 13/14. Instead he risks burn out as was the case with Angus Fraser and Darren Gough. It can't be the case every time England are stuck Joe Root chucks the ball over to Jofra and says "get us out ofJail big guy". A strike bowler bowls in short bursts, a stock bowler bowls longer spells keeping it tight, Jofra is a strike bowler not a stock bowler.

Given that Chris Woakes has a good record at Lords his lack of use in the second innings leads to speculation about his knee Injury. A possible opening for Sam Curran ?

Unlike England, Australia will make changes, James Pattinson will return for Peter Siddle and Marnus Labuschange for either Cameron Bancroft or Matthew Wade. The mystery call is Mitchell Starc for Pat Cummins given Langer's rotation policy?

England remain unchanged mainly due to a lack of immediate alternatives though you can expect a shuffle in the batting order - Denly to 3 and Stokes to 5. Dropping Joe Root to number 4. Joe is neither a good captain or someone who really likes being captain as his far better record in the ranks in the ODI side in recentb times proves. In his defence, you do not refuse the England Captaincy nor to you give it up lightly and in this sense again the lack of alternatives keeps his position safe though whether he would survive a  0-3 or 0-4 Ashes defeat remains to be seen.

Meanwhile over at London Zoo,  Chi Chi reacts to the news that Jason Roy remains England's opener.

spacer.png

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

I like Jonny , he’s an aggressive batsman but I’m not taken with his keeping tbh . He shells a few and as kumar  said on comms you judge a keeper especially standing up and he just has to many frayed edges . Personally I’d have foakes and Jonny at 4 but they won’t tinker there with other areas of concern 

26 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I am slightly out of the loop in terms of domestic cricket. What other options do we have to open/replace Denly? Buttler’s patient innings gives him a stay of execution I’d suggest...

Tough isn’t it , especially with just 20/20 going on . How do you judge ? Early season they were talking about Sibley and Crawley and , err wait for it , Ballance , but that was in the first class window . The structure is all over the place  really . We have guys in on one day form , and guys outside who haven’t played country championship for weeks and weeks and in some cases have gone out of form trying to slog it in 20/20 ! Guys like Roy and Buttler are in the team as one day players ... and how do we want them to play ?

Roy got pelters for trying to whack it and never looks like he can bat all day , whereas Buttler in the other extreme looks a bit out of nick and not sure how to play it , and ended up going nowhere .  Both have to got to work it out . I actually think Denly looks quite good but isn’t going on . Root is the big one - we need him to score runs as our main man and being captain they will be all over him smelling weakness . 

Our bowling is holding up good ... this whole series will come down to our batting. Get runs and their line up is just as  flaky and susceptible to pressure . I’ve no idea how it’ll go but I can’t wait to see

11 hours ago, DavidM said:

An issue intertwined with this is the total lack of first class cricket in the meat of the season and as prep for test cricket . 

There's a full round of Championship games going on right now.

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

There's a full round of Championship games going on right now.

Yes they’ve just started as the third test squad was being picked , but I mean in terms of making test selections and replacing players . It’s gonna be tough to introduce players 

11 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Dismayed at Jofra Archer's workload with 48 overs, Archer is a strike bowler who should be used in short bursts of 4 overs as per Australia with Mitchell Johnson in 13/14. Instead he risks burn out as was the case with Angus Fraser and Darren Gough. It can't be the case every time England are stuck Joe Root chucks the ball over to Jofra and says "get us out ofJail big guy". A strike bowler bowls in short bursts, a stock bowler bowls longer spells keeping it tight, Jofra is a strike bowler not a stock bowler.

Given that Chris Woakes has a good record at Lords his lack of use in the second innings leads to speculation about his knee Injury. A possible opening for Sam Curran ?

I don't think Curran is a good enough bowler to be first change. If he plays instead of Woakes, then that will just increase the workload on Archer. The like for like replacement for Woakes, if he is injured, would be Roland-Jones.

Denly should open, with Roy moving down to three or four. Roy has batted one innings at three, and scored a run a ball 70.

4 minutes ago, phiggins said:

But that's an isolated round, that is happening in the week of back to back test matches, so not really much use

No, I completely agree, it's rubbish. The entire county season is run with breathtaking incompetence by the ECB who seem incapable of scheduling games for when people might want to see them (hence the plummeting in county membership numbers) or for keeping interest in different formats across the season.

And the Championship should be a minimum 16 games, ideally more.

I think this is the second round of games since the end of the World Cup though (I could be wrong) so it's not like there have been zero opportunities for people to put themselves forward. It's not good enough but, partly, that's also because no one is standing out.

The other side to this is the current leadership under Ed Smith doesn’t always seem to put to much store on county stats , preferring one day international displays and loyalty to players in the system 

Just now, DavidM said:

The other side to this is the current leadership under Ed Smith doesn’t always seem to put to much store on county stats , preferring one day international displays and loyalty to players in the system 

Ed Smith and his bunch of similarly backgrounded nodding dogs.

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I think this is the second round of games since the end of the World Cup though (I could be wrong) so it's not like there have been zero opportunities for people to put themselves forward. It's not good enough but, partly, that's also because no one is standing out.

That’s a salient point I’ve heard much debate about . Very few are kicking the door in or deemed ‘ ready ‘ . I really liked the look of Ollie Pope when he played , reminded me of Ian Bell . Not sure how he’s he getting on but I think he’d come back into it 

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Ed Smith and his bunch of similarly backgrounded nodding dogs.

James Taylor sure stays close , although what his actual role or influence is i don’t know . Don’t mean to be disrespectful but it looked like they just wanted to give him a job after he had to retire 

14 minutes ago, DavidM said:

James Taylor sure stays close , although what his actual role or influence is i don’t know . Don’t mean to be disrespectful but it looked like they just wanted to give him a job after he had to retire 

You just have to call out his name, and you can be sure that, wherever he is, he'll come running.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

On 17/08/2019 at 08:52, THE RED ROOSTER said:

For the batman to be Leg Before Wicket the ball must pitch in line with the stumps if the batsman is playing a shot. It does not have to pitch in line if the batsman is in the opinion of the umpire playing no shot at the delivery. See the Video in the link  

My understanding is it doesn’t have to pitch in line but it can’t be lbw if it pitches leg side. Unless as you say the batsman isn’t playing a shot. 

Archived