The Ashes Thread - Cricket

37 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

My understanding is it doesn’t have to pitch in line but it can’t be lbw if it pitches leg side. Unless as you say the batsman isn’t playing a shot. 

if it hits you outside the line of off stump and you are playing a shot its not out, even if hitting the stumps

if you don't play a shot it just needs to be hitting the stumps

on the leg side if it pitches outside the line of leg stump you cannot be given out LBW

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, gingerjon said:

In part, because he was always the answer and England bowled him into the ground.

In fairness, he's 37. Most fast bowlers would have been retired for several years by now.

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

My understanding is it doesn’t have to pitch in line but it can’t be lbw if it pitches leg side. Unless as you say the batsman isn’t playing a shot. 

That’s right. If it pitches outside leg, then you can’t be out lbw. If the ball pitches in line, or outside off, and hits the batsman in line and is hitting the stumps, then it’s out.

Only difference not playing a shot makes is that impact can be outside the line.

32 minutes ago, JonM said:

In fairness, he's 37. Most fast bowlers would have been retired for several years by now.

Yes. It's rather amazing he's carried on at all.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, phiggins said:

I don't think Curran is a good enough bowler to be first change. If he plays instead of Woakes, then that will just increase the workload on Archer. The like for like replacement for Woakes, if he is injured, would be Roland-Jones.

Denly should open, with Roy moving down to three or four. Roy has batted one innings at three, and scored a run a ball 70.

I like the Curran boys but I agree Sam is not a first change with his lack of pace and needing it to swing to have a threat ( by the way I thought we picked these balls to swing - they’ve done virtually nowt ? ) . I can see him in though as a fourth bowler and bat down the line . Surrey seem to be trying to turn him into a batting all rounder without much success yet . Interesting mentioning Toblerone Jones . Did really well then got crocked so I wonder if he’s on the radar with bowlers dropping like flies . If Jofra goes down that’s it shake hands 

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Toblerone Jones

Brilliant. ?

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

53 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Lot of reaction already that this test is in the bag .... which is rather dangerous !

Absolutely...

But Smith has been the difference so far. I did think his replacement played exceptionally well but can he play like that again with less pressure/more time to think about the role...

I also expect Root to fire on his own ground.

Very interesting Test match.

10 hours ago, phiggins said:

I don't think Curran is a good enough bowler to be first change. If he plays instead of Woakes, then that will just increase the workload on Archer. The like for like replacement for Woakes, if he is injured, would be Roland-Jones.

Denly should open, with Roy moving down to three or four. Roy has batted one innings at three, and scored a run a ball 70.

He would be fourth seamer, as i suspect Stokes would come on first change, buthe  does swing the ball and adds Left arm  variety - probably long term a better batsman, and in addition is what they call a "golden arm" i.e he can send down an absolute pie and get a wicket - Just ask William Porterfield. The only concern would be leaking runs if he was being used as a stock bowler. which would impact on Archer as you say simply because you cannot create pressure on a batter if runs are coming freely at the other end.

Rumblings out of the England camp about "resting" Woakes today, I suspect his knee is playing up and with back to back tests, as was proved at Edgbaston, you cannot have someone puling up lame once the game has begun. He was very sparingly used in conditions that should have been helpful.

9 hours ago, bobbruce said:

My bad because my response is not that clear, the original question referred to a decision pitching outside off-stump and the poster was a bit confused as to why this was not given out. when the pitch map came on TV.  As you say, if had pitched outside leg then this would not have been an issue nor if, in the opinion of the umpire, he had not been playing a shot

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

11 hours ago, DavidM said:

Lot of reaction already that this test is in the bag .... which is rather dangerous !

He is probably the only point of difference in the side

Both batting line ups have fragile players who are subject to collapses for not much. They all have players that can get runs - but are inconsistent

The bowlers are both good - with the English side able to generally make better use of the conditions

12 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

He would be fourth seamer, as i suspect Stokes would come on first change, buthe  does swing the ball and adds Left arm  variety - probably long term a better batsman, and in addition is what they call a "golden arm" i.e he can send down an absolute pie and get a wicket - Just ask William Porterfield. The only concern would be leaking runs if he was being used as a stock bowler. which would impact on Archer as you say simply because you cannot create pressure on a batter if runs are coming freely at the other end.

Rumblings out of the England camp about "resting" Woakes today, I suspect his knee is playing up and with back to back tests, as was proved at Edgbaston, you cannot have someone puling up lame once the game has begun. He was very sparingly used in conditions that should have been helpful.

My bad because my response is not that clear, the original question referred to a decision pitching outside off-stump and the poster was a bit confused as to why this was not given out. when the pitch map came on TV.  As you say, if had pitched outside leg then this would not have been an issue nor if, in the opinion of the umpire, he had not been playing a shot

Trouble with that approach is that Stokes is not a first change bowler either. In fact, I can see him bowling less and less over the next year or so, and batting in the top 4

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 13:31, DavidM said:

Headingley  usually produces a result - providing the weather co-operates

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Headingley  usually produces a result - providing the weather co-operates

I made no comment here that we would have five days of good weather. None.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 hours ago, phiggins said:

Trouble with that approach is that Stokes is not a first change bowler either. In fact, I can see him bowling less and less over the next year or so, and batting in the top 4

That may be true but Stokes does bowl a "heavy" ball as they say in the trade so If Archer does need a backup paceman that's where Stokes comes in to rough up the opposition.  Not Ideal for a no 5 Batsman but with Wood and Stone unavailable no other option either.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

If you win the toss this morning would forum members bat or bowl. Think I’d have a bowl with the cloud cover get archer on fresh while he’s still in the Aussie batsmen’s thoughts. 

England seem to have followed your view. I always remember an interview I saw on telly with an Aussie (I think it was Steve Waugh) who said "if in doubt, bat. If you're sure you want to bowl, bat . If you're still not convinced because of conditions that you should bat then tell people to stop complaining and bat. If all else fails, give the bowlers something to keep them occupied in the dressing room and bat anyway."

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

England seem to have followed your view. I always remember an interview I saw on telly with an Aussie (I think it was Steve Waugh) who said "if in doubt, bat. If you're sure you want to bowl, bat . If you're still not convinced because of conditions that you should bat then tell people to stop complaining and bat. If all else fails, give the bowlers something to keep them occupied in the dressing room and bat anyway."

Yeah it’s a gamble but they need the win I think they’ll fancy getting them out cheap with cloud cover. Not sure they expected rain though here’s hoping the rain doesn’t hang on until the cloud cover clears. 

Eeeee, Yarksher summer.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Archived