The Ashes Thread - Cricket

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure I’ve seen Root as simmering as this . Not happy at all with some of this rubbish . This is the risk of bowling first , big chance IF it goes well , but if it doesn’t you can lose control of the game . And I’d say that’s what he’s thinking at present . Needs his bowlers to reign this in . Not exploited conditions anything like .Especially when you’ve no margin for error in the series .

It took a while, and there was a danger of Warner getting his mojo back, but the Sandingistas were disposed of in a single (rain-affected) day for less than 200.

Six for Archer - anyone willing to bet that he won't do that again in the coming years?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It took a while, and there was a danger of Warner getting his mojo back, but the Sandingistas were disposed of in a single (rain-affected) day for less than 200.

Six for Archer - anyone willing to bet that he won't do that again in the coming years?

The impressive thing is that it wasn’t pace this time , it was his skill set and adapting to that pitch . So he can blast you out or work you out . Paine said no worries we’ve got plans , may need another one now 

The impressive thing is that it wasn’t pace this time , it was his skill set and adapting to that pitch . So he can blast you out or work you out . Paine said no worries we’ve got plans , may need another one now 

Let 'em prepare... then bowl Archer downhill at them in their next innings. :kolobok_cool:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Looking forward to seeing it on the highlights later.

The only issue facing him is, I'd suggest, the same we have for all our fast bowlers. He's the only one and he's going to be worked hard. If we want him to have a long career he can't be playing every game and we need to make sure he gets proper recovery time.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

When you've got Glenn McGrath praising your cricket smarts - as he was on TMS - then you must be doing something right.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Looking forward to seeing it on the highlights later.

The only issue facing him is, I'd suggest, the same we have for all our fast bowlers. He's the only one and he's going to be worked hard. If we want him to have a long career he can't be playing every game and we need to make sure he gets proper recovery time.

In his interview he said Root came to him and said ‘ can you go again ?’ And he said ‘no’ he was blowing to hard after his 5th wicket . Until the last over and root came to him again ! The rest must step up as this is a bit of a reflection on them . Both Woakes n Stokes were shipping 6 an over at one point 

Have I gone full Ian Botham, or is 17 overs not really that insane a workload for a 24yo in cool conditions on a green pitch?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

The match - can we say the series - is on how we bat tomorrow . If we’re still batting at the close that’ll be a big advantage . Should be easy eh ?

Correct, and if Jason Roy really is going to play a quick fire ODI style 60 today is the day to do it. You can never tell how a pitch plays until both sides have batted but this is shaping to be a low innings test .

All the attention on Jofra but Woakes and Stokes need to up their game the Warner-Labuschange stand was helped by some truly risible bowling in helpful conditions. Others need to shoulder their share of the load or Archer and Broad are going to be bowled into the ground.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Have I gone full Ian Botham, or is 17 overs not really that insane a workload for a 24yo in cool conditions on a green pitch?

By itself, no it's not. But if the expectation is that he's going to bowl that number, or more, every time, especially in series with such small turnarounds, then it might get to be a problem. Not least because England (and probably others but they're foreign and I don't care) have a truly woeful record at keeping their bowlers in particular healthy.

Correct, and if Jason Roy really is going to play a quick fire ODI style 60 today is the day to do it.

Ho hum.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rooooooooot. Gets nowt again, but apparently this isn't about him but all because he came in at 3 instead of five minutes later at 4.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Good to see we’re giving the Aussies a chance. They’ll come out for their 2nd innings and blow it, then we’ll show our class by getting 400-0 to win the game  

Honest. That’ll happen. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Archived