The Ashes Thread - Cricket

Just now, GeordieSaint said:

Are the conditions difficult or are we just batting poorly again?

Three out of four have got themselves out.

New captain needed, and a new chairman of selectors needed as well, so we can start to pick the best team and not throw in a bunch of all rounders.

Absolutely abysmal performance this morning 

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Are the conditions difficult or are we just batting poorly again?

They’ve bowled - again - in the right areas . But they’re good bowlers they’re allowed to , it’s test cricket . It’s not a minefield , we’ve just made a total and utter mess of it . There’s an old adage about driving at headingley .... candy off a baby today. Abysmal dismissals . Again no one can just bat to grind an opposition down or has the mentality to tough it out 

This is the worst ever in history since the last shambolic collapse . These shots are terrible . This’ll be why Root didn’t bat then- we’ll have been all out for 1 in those conditions yesterday 

That ball would have troubled the best batsmen in the world, Bairstow isn’t in that class and I doubt he could have done differently. Outstanding bowling. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

All of those who booed Warner have shown him who is boss.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

We can’t see off a new ball. 

We have a Test team who never play red ball cricket - and a dwindling player pool being masked by ODI World Cup success.

I'd kick the cat but the blinking thing's already scurried off. She's deaf but I think even she heard my reaction to the first ball after lunch.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Bayliss is going, which should help the test team.

Ed Smith needs to go, and replaced with a selector that understands why picking batsmen that can only bat down the order doesn't lead to big scores.

Root needs to be replaced by a captain that can actually get something out of his players, and will make use of the bowlers he has.

Roy at a minimum needs to be moved down the order. Denly has to go. As does Buttler. Stokes survives because of his 100 in the last test. Toss up between Bairstow and Foakes for keeper. Woakes out for Anderson.

Sibley and Pope should be given a chance, and given a run in the side to develop

Alastair Cook has just said this on the BBC Cricket Live:

'I feel sorry for Root'

a2ab6153-fbd1-4b7c-8f5b-2fee9d8a3105.jpg

Alastair Cook Former England captain on BBC Test Match Special

I feel really sorry for Joe Root. To captain in an Ashes series at home is an honour - it's an amazing thing to do. It's a big occasion in your life.

Archived