The Ashes Thread - Cricket

Just now, DavidM said:

I’ve not met many other people who think we need the hundred tbh

An occasionally controversial cricket writer tweeted that the only people in favour of The Hundred were those who were going to make money playing in it, coaching it, or broadcasting it. Hard to disagree.

It'll last two seasons.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Three Aussies from this side played in the WC semi , seven from England . We’ve basically transplanted a side and told them to adapt - fast - whereas the Aussies have had some guys prepped for this . This has been 18 years on the making for them .

I'd love to know how many of the Australians - and also next summer's tourists - have played more first class cricket in England than some members of the current England team.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

I'd love to know how many of the Australians - and also next summer's tourists - have played more first class cricket in England than some members of the current England team.

Exactly . Labuschagne openly said playing for Glamorgan was all about getting where he is now ... and his 5 hundreds set him up a treat . 

Oh for a top order of 

Geoff  Boycott ....absolute knob

Chris Tavare... most boring man ever

David Steele.... pulled out of his allotment to play cricket. They'd have been 203-2 at close having bored us all to death all day but england would be in the game.

Application....English batsmen cant do this anymore.

Even Botham's sh it or bust innings of 81 (i was there) was more symptomatic of his career at thr time than owt else.....

Just graft a bloody innings and learn how to leave a ball alone ffs.

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Application....English batsmen cant do this anymore.

Mr May was spot on with this. They are immersed in an entirely white ball culture and one where what little attention is paid to red ball cricket is something to be a bit embarrassed about. That's not the players' fault, it's a deliberate attitude put forward by the ECB.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Good question.

I think Root has only played twice this year for Yorkshire in FC cricket.     Jonny Bairstow hasn’t played any FC cricket outside Tests for over a year  

Which not only suggests that it’s not surprising England’s players might sometimes go into a Test series “underdone” but also makes you wonder what Yorkshire pay these guys for.

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

An occasionally controversial cricket writer tweeted that the only people in favour of The Hundred were those who were going to make money playing in it, coaching it, or broadcasting it. Hard to disagree.

It'll last two seasons.

People predicted, with a great degree of confidence, that the IPL would implode almost immediately. There was one BBC radio report that banged on about deserted stadia and lack of atmosphere, even after the first few matches had been played in front of hordes of howling, partying fans. I assume they'd got a RL journalist in to do the job, and he just went into autopilot mode.

It is unlikely that, even in their wildest dreams, the Hundred would get a fraction of the IPL's success, but there will be support from certain areas:

1. People who like live Cricket on FTA TV. That would include me.

2. People who prefer a shorter form of the game and don't have time for the longer matches. I love the full-fat five-day binge, but also appreciate the thrills and spills of a match that can be done in an afternoon or evening. No jokes about England's Test batting lineup, please.

3. People who have been raging for decades now about how the sport in the UK has been stifled by the dead hand of the county structure, and see the Hundred as a loosening of the death-grip. Something different needs to be tried. is it this? I don't know.

I have a fair amount of sympathy for all of the above categories. Not sure the Hundred will work, but it may be the foot in the door for something more productive in the long run.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

People predicted, with a great degree of confidence, that the IPL would implode almost immediately.

I honestly don't remember that. The ICL had been a success, albeit a 'rebel' one so I'd thought there was a consensus that a T20 league would work in India.

There's been a lot - and I do mean a lot - of revisionist nonsense saying people thought the original Twenty20 Cup (as was) would be a failure. No one that I was aware of said that. Some, me included, couldn't see it ever being anything other than a replacement Sunday League and unlikely to be taken too seriously. It took us about a fortnight, with counties putting up House Full signs everywhere, to admit we were wrong.

But if you want to watch Oval Invincibles take on Northern Superchargers then I'll not judge you too much.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I honestly don't remember that. The ICL had been a success, albeit a 'rebel' one so I'd thought there was a consensus that a T20 league would work in India.

There's been a lot - and I do mean a lot - of revisionist nonsense saying people thought the original Twenty20 Cup (as was) would be a failure. No one that I was aware of said that. Some, me included, couldn't see it ever being anything other than a replacement Sunday League and unlikely to be taken too seriously. It took us about a fortnight, with counties putting up House Full signs everywhere, to admit we were wrong.

But if you want to watch Oval Invincibles take on Northern Superchargers then I'll not judge you too much.

To be honest, not many people predicted disaster for the IPL, but some did.

As for the Hundred, I'll wait and see. I'm not convinced cricket needs another format, but I'll give it a go.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

31 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Thorpe said after close of play that these were the best seven batsmen. I struggle to see how anyone can say that Roy, buttler, denly or Bairstow are better red ball batsmen than Ollie pope. 

If they don’t make any changes for the next game then it’s a case of foolish stubbornness. Sibley and Pope need to come in, and you could leave any two out. 

Thing is , maybe they are ? I don’t know . That may a stark indictment on county cricket . We’ve gone through a few who haven’t nailed a spot down 

Saturday is fancy dress day at many Tests, today we’ve 11 people pretending to be professional cricket players. 

Amateurish stuff with that drop. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Nope, I’ll never find this appropriate. It’s deliberately aiming to hurt someone, just as wrong as a chicken wing hold or “accidentally” dropping an elbow into someone’s face on the ground. 

And you can’t say that he isn’t deliberately aiming for the head. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Well ,here’s that 20 minute spell before a break that all batsmen hate , especially when you’re struggling to score a run .

by the way , stat I read this morning . 179 is the lowest score ever to get a hundred plus first innings lead 

I see Australia have a tour match against Derby coming up.

Any thoughts on if our lads will get some red ball practice in before the fourth test?

It’s a big fourth inning target, but actually this is winnable.   It’s only lunch on the third day.     The weather forecast is good, there’s 240 overs remaining in this match and England need 348 more to win.  If they don’t spunk their wickets away, that’s actually achievable.  1.5 risk free runs an over sees them home   

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

2 minutes ago, Steve May said:

It’s a big fourth inning target, but actually this is winnable.   It’s only lunch on the third day.     The weather forecast is good, there’s 240 overs remaining in this match and England need 348 more to win.  If they don’t spunk their wickets away, that’s actually achievable.  1.5 risk free runs an over sees them home   

England's batsmen are no longer capable of occupation at the crease...

5 minutes ago, Steve May said:

Tell them it that way and their one day mentality will kick in . That’s a cunning plan . In reality it’s a test match and these chases are hardly ever done , even by good batting line ups . They should beat 67 though

Just now, Robin Evans said:

England's batsmen are no longer capable of occupation at the crease...

Ain’t that the truth.

Root should fine the buggers fifty quid for every boundary in this innings.    Target should be every batsman hits a single in every over.

Just now, DavidM said:

Tell them it that way and their one day mentality will kick in . That’s a cunning plan . In reality it’s a test match and these chases are hardly ever done , even by good batting line ups 

Yes.  But historically big run chases happen on the fifth day, when the wicket is crumbling like a  Brexiters promise and the time is running out.   It’s only the third day.   

59 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Quick sweepstake

What score does the 3rd wicket fall...

Me.... 43

Archived