The Ashes Thread - Cricket

6 minutes ago, Industria ditat said:

Tim Paine is (rightly) going to get slaughtered in Australia for that - his field positions were rubbish and the review on Leach was madness. As captain it is his job to remain calm and make clear decisions - he absolutely bottled it. He might have lost the dressing room today.

Hopefully he'll remain captain for the rest of the series.

Tim Paine is getting absolutely slaughtered in Australia ! But he didn’t have Smith next to him to tell him what to do

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have enjoyed my sport this weekend.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

47 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Good interview with Broad ... we were very average and got rescued by one bloke 

That’s the right mindset. Root was similarly upfront, I saw, when talking about how the first innings simply wasn’t good enough.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Tim Paine is getting absolutely slaughtered in Australia ! But he didn’t have Smith next to him to tell him what to do

Paine has been poor with the use of his decisions all series so far

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Got to say by the way , the seam bowling in that last passage was terrible . Ironically after being so good 

and can I just say i firmly believe Joel Wilson is the worlds best umpire 

It's the impact of bowling 30 overs in an innings. With only 4 bowlers they will become very tired if England can keep them out there

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Good interview with Broad ... we were very average and got rescued by one bloke 

Average is being generous tbh.

Have just caught the hightlights, just wow, Ben Stokes has single handedly just saved the ECB a few million quid, well done son, you should be tapping them up for some more moula considering that the rest of the tests would be desolate without your superlative innings to keep the series alive.

7 minutes ago, JonM said:

He was a computer programmer for Barclays Bank while playing test cricket for WI.

Watching the excellent documentary "Fire in Babylon", I can see that he and many other West Indian players of the time had a very good reason to be angry young men. Some of the abuse they received, especially in Australia, was shocking by the standards of any era.

It is rather charming to see him these days, as a sedate and good-natured elder statesman.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Average is being generous tbh.

Have just caught the hightlights, just wow, Ben Stokes has single handedly just saved the ECB a few million quid, well done son, you should be tapping them up for some more moula considering that the rest of the tests would be desolate without your superlative innings to keep the series alive.

First four days of Test Matches, especially against Australia sell out months before they play. The fifth match at the Oval had sold all theirs by December last year.

25 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Watching the excellent documentary "Fire in Babylon", I can see that he and many other West Indian players of the time had a very good reason to be angry young men. Some of the abuse they received, especially in Australia, was shocking by the standards of any era.

He won a scholarship to study Computer Science at University and as programming paid better than cricket, he combined writing software with test cricket for several years. He only turned fully professional when Kerry Packer essentially bought the entire West Indies first XI.

I've just got a copy of a book about Leary Constantine, who was one of my grandfather's childhood heroes - interesting to hear about his experiences as a West Indian in 1930s Lancashire. 

In the interests of balance, this is the opening paragraphs to the Sydney Morning Herald Cricket page.

"Ben Stokes played a starring role in the greatest World Cup final of all time, and he's the hero again here in one of the most thrilling matches we have seen in Ashes history.

What a summer this has been for the world's best all-rounder.

This series is well and truly alive. Australia will need to regroup after blowing what seemed an unlose-able Test. This will be very difficult for them to get over. They lost their head in the pressure moments, and Stokes kept his.

What a thrilling final two Tests we have."

This story also gives plenty of credit to England.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/we-can-all-die-happy-now-cricket-doesn-t-get-any-better-than-this-20190826-p52knk.html

On 23/08/2019 at 12:23, ckn said:

Good to see we’re giving the Aussies a chance. They’ll come out for their 2nd innings and blow it, then we’ll show our class by getting 400-0 to win the game  

Honest. That’ll happen. 

Not far off ? and honest I meant 9 instead of 0 wickets...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Not the biggest cricket fan, got tickets in the western Terrace on a whim and got home at 2 am after celebrating!

What a day of Cricket!

Better than the WC imo, in that it was more relief afterwards, in this we've (Stokesy) properly won it back for us.

9 hours ago, Moose said:

First four days of Test Matches, especially against Australia sell out months before they play. The fifth match at the Oval had sold all theirs by December last year.

I tried to get a couple of tickets in April for Old Trafford, I think it was Ticketmaster's site, couldn't find anything available, not even in the many different tiers of corporate.

3 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

1.275m were listening *online* ... so that excludes the numbers who had the radio on in more traditional means, or who were watching on Sky.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived