The Ashes Thread - Cricket

What an incredible finish to a match. I've never felt such sustained tension when following cricket. After Broad went I just thought it was a matter of time before the Aussies won. There just didn't seem to be any hope at all. What a performance by Stokes. One of the greatest ever sporting moments. Hopefully that will give England the lift they need to go on and clinch the Ashes.

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

What an incredible finish to a match. I've never felt such sustained tension when following cricket. After Broad went I just thought it was a matter of time before the Aussies won. There just didn't seem to be any hope at all. What a performance by Stokes. One of the greatest ever sporting moments. Hopefully that will give England the lift they need to go on and clinch the Ashes.

Given some of the Eeyore-ish comments on here before the series started (and I wasn't massively enthused by the scheduling either), this has turned out to be a fascinating series.

Whoever gets the urn, I'm looking forward to the remaining two Tests.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

So jimmy is out . Must say I’m a tad surprised they’ve gone back to Overton . Just didn’t have the ammo when he got a go . Looks like an unchanged side , although I’m surprised there’s not a batting  tweak . Hopefully they’ve not fell into the we won it’s fine trap

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

So jimmy is out . Must say I’m a tad surprised they’ve gone back to Overton . Just didn’t have the ammo when he got a go . Looks like an unchanged side , although I’m surprised there’s not a batting  tweak . Hopefully they’ve not fell into the we won it’s fine trap

Odd selection. They're trying to selecting an 8th batsman, not a 3rd seamer it seems.

Just now, phiggins said:

Odd selection. They're trying to selecting an 8th batsman, not a 3rd seamer it seems.

Quite . They’ve stuck with the same batsmen but obviously don’t have much faith in them as they’ve selected a medium pacer who can bat to bolster the line up rather than the best bowler . Which I think is quite wrong headed . Batsmen are there to get runs , pick bowlers to get wickets. Should be immaterial anyway with Woakes n Curran there you’d think 

The weather forecast for the next Test is pretty patchy - we could see the series going to the Oval with it all riding on the final match.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Overton for Woakes confirmed. Our bowling weakened further, just as Australia are about to bring in the world's best batsman.

As poor as I think some selections have been, winning a series after injuries to Anderson, Archer (1st test), Stone, Wood and now Woakes, is a big ask.

Australia odds on favourites IMO to retain the Ashes at Old Trafford if weather does not intervene. To say that the England selection has been underwhelming is an understatement.

Rory Burns - Neds a score here or at the Oval to make the winter tour. The likes of Adam Lyth also scored a hundred early in their short England career but tailed off afterwards as soon as he had been worked out et tu Rory facing a barrage of short deliverys into the body.

Joe Denly - Pushed up to number two by Jason Roy's abject failure as a opener. Joe's from my county and he is a good County pro but that's the size of it

Joe Root - Batting in the wrong position and an unhappy captain. Relieving him of the captaincy would be a mercy killing - Just compare the Test and ODI records for Root 66 over the last few years to see how it affects him.

Jason Roy - Sorry I am all for a bloke being given a fair go but was he not in the side as an opener so as far as I am concerned any runs are irrelevant in a long term context. He is in Joe Root's position.

Ben Stokes - Techncally the best batsman in the England side but he surely cannot pull England's fat out of the fire again with bat and ball. Stokes for England Captain on the non World test championship  tour of his native New Zealand - You read it first here.

Jos Buttler - Nees a break from Test Cricket, one centrury in 34 innings tells it's own story.

Jonny Bairstow - Jonny B has nver let England down, I think the press have been messing with his mind with all the Foakes talk in the Cricket pages . Jonny emotionally needs to keep the gloves. One can only hope Bayliss has given him the nod for the series.

Craig Overton will prove adept at relentlessly hitting the middle of Aussie bats as he did down under. if England needs his runs an number 8 then it says little about batters 1 to 7

Jofra Archer - About to be bowled into the ground. when Overton and if Leach leak runs.

Stuart Broad - Still worth his place in the side as a bowler but rumour has it that its Oval and out for Broad as he swops dressing room for commetarty box.

Jack Leach - Unsung Hero and Yeoman Left Armer but not someone keeping Aussie batters awake at night.

Australia have made a positive move swopping Smith for Khawaja and at last Mitchell Starc comes in for Cummins or Patterson . It remins me of an exchange between an Australian Official and a nameless ECB blazer in the Waugh / Warne era "my the best team win" offerd the Aussie hand out  "I F***ing hope not!"  was the reply.?

England will finally make changes to the batting once the series is lost and then it will be a case of where was this guy....?

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Well we got a morning session in before the rain came down. A colleague of mine's going to be there tomorrow, when the forecast looks better, so I hope she sees some Cricket.

Two early wickets, including Broad getting Mr Popularity for an immensely satisfying duck. However, Smith and Labuschagne are now in and looking very solid. Archer's been a little out of sorts with the cold and the wind, so better weather should bring some more threat from him.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, 17 stone giant said:

So, what problem do people think will be solved first?

a) Brexit

b) How to get Steve Smith out

Seriously , have you ever seen a test batsman make it look so easy , whatever the conditions . Don’t think I have 

Didnt watch any but it was an interesting day following on the bbc website. 

I like Glamorgan so I am pleased Marnus continued his good form. His scores in the context of the series have been tremendous. 

Glad Steve Smith has shown he is unaffected by his injury too. 

So it's overcast and wet in Manchester in September - who would have thought it ?

The point made by Jim Maxwell at the Oval in the last Ashes series played this late in September 2013 when England seemed to be chasing down Michael Clarke's target only to be thwarted by bad light remains valid. What did people expect playing at this time in the year ?.

Cricket administrators need to learn - Greed is not good

Australia in pole position at 170-3 and I have this feeling that the wicket is going to appear a lot less flat once Starc and Cummins bowl on it. With two clear days coming on Saturday and Sunday can England keep the series alive until the Oval and will it actually matter if they do, since the selectors resolutely fail to make much needed changes to the side?

Shane Warne rose even higher in my estimation yesterday ?

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

8 hours ago, Trevorkfevfan said:

Be interesting  to see if Starc sets a few Batsmen skipping around a bit.

3 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

and I have this feeling that the wicket is going to appear a lot less flat once Starc and Cummins bowl on it.

Absolutely , and this has been key in ashes tests on less helpful tracks ( lords and oval last time ) , and especially down there . They have bowlers who can take the pitch out of it to more of a degree with threat through the air . I don’t know why we’re playing them on tracks like this compared to four years ago - and we’re not playing at TB at all , but when it’s hard yakka I’d say they have more ammo

Smith being weird this morning, even by his own standards.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

36 minutes ago, ckn said:

Root has to be the worst first slip fielder in current test cricket.

His captaincy tbh leaves a lot to be desired at times . Four men on the leg side to Smith when you don’t want to bowl anywhere near there . We continually bowl both sides of the wicket to him . As Holding said , outside offstump all day all week 

Archived