The Ashes Thread - Cricket

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And Smith is nodding away at Leach's bowling happily thinking "our bowlers will love this with a proper field set". There's a lot in this pitch for day two.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I think we’ve reached the plonk fielders anywhere plan and hope for the best . He’s totally scrambled us . If you look at his dismissals in the past they’re like everyone else , often caught behind the wicket . But we seem to have given up on sitting in there with an orthodox field . 

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

He looks good next to Roy though 

That was catching practice warm-up easy... Oh dear...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

There are no words 

? How on earth... you can understand fast bowlers doing it occasionally, even if it's frowned on but surely a spin bowler should be given the bum's rush off the field.

You don't get many chances against Smith... and England have botched all of today's.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think if Australia get past 350 then that'll seem like a huge ask for this England team for the rest of the game, especially with the knocked morale of everyone but Stokes. Even Stokes looks a bit too angry today and that can't be good for a batsman.

13 minutes ago, DavidM said:

This is why the momentum argument is pointless when the next game starts .

Nobody sane believes in momentum.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Nobody sane believes in momentum.

This isn't the political subforum... ? 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Totally agree with Holding . To many theories , stick to one boring plan at Smith . I think we did it for one over and he played n missed twice . He may leave it all day says Lord Gower .... then he won’t score says Mikey and get the rest out

Truly depressing test match. We've seen the transformation of Archer from electrifying fast bowler, into medium pacer. Spinners bowling no balls, Roy doing what he seemingly does best and dropping catches at slip and the captain has absolutely no idea what to do.

The paper that Stokes put over the cracks the other week didn't last long. Our only hope is Smith forgets to declare and bats out a draw.

We just look completely and utterly flat , almost going through the motions . And if Overton is a first change in tests I am . The crowd have had no reason to get into it . You need some zip , butwe always pick the same type of bowler

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

We just look completely and utterly flat , almost going through the motions . And if Overton is a first change in tests I am . The crowd have had no reason to get into it . You need some zip , butwe always pick the same type of bowler

Overton was a baffling selection. All this talk of momentum, nobody seemed to factor in them bringing in the best batsman in the world, while we went from selecting our all time leading wicket taker to selecting Craig Overton.

Awful.

12 minutes ago, DavidM said:

People have mentioned bowling Archer in to the ground . It looks like we’re doing it . We’ve got loads of guys to jog in bowling 83 . He’s got to be your point of difference. 

I've some sympathy for England, given injuries to Wood, Anderson and Stone. But you look at how Archer's gone from bowling 96mph to 80 odd mph, and Woakes has gone from taking 6 for not many to being dropped in the space of three tests and have to wonder who is to blame. 

New captain, new coach and new chairman of selectors needed. 

Archived