The Ashes Thread - Cricket

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

What a bucket of plop

Pray for rain.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Irony of ironies ... September test in Manchester and a glorious day forecast ! Really we’ve no complaints . We were one great knock away from being creamed 3-0 . I thought this side looked weak on Wednesday . Stokes papered over the  batting cracks but the selectors fell for it , and the bowling looked without depth . How Overton is a better cricketer than Woakes needs explaining ( Farbrace saying he’s fit and aching to play ) , and if they don’t fancy Woakes I just can’t believe Overton is the next cab . Jimmy and Wood have been huge losses , but surely there’s someone out there with more bite and impact . Their change was Cummins for goodness sake . Speaking of which I think their seam rotation has been quite outstanding - top lines , more importantly top lengths   time after time . Always at you on a wicket taking length . I think there was a stat that 5% of our deliveries were hitting the stumps , although Broad in particular is busting a gut . Obviously in the batting Smith is holding them up to a big degree , today he was taking the micky in doing as he pleased , but they’re grinding out more than enough for their attack . Been very disappointing in total . I thought home comforts would give us the edge , but pitches haven’t really been that ‘ traditional ‘ like 13 or 15 , selection has been muddled and more than anything we haven’t been good enough 

11 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

In Manchester?

Seems unlikely.

Headingley proves that miracles can happen... like mere rain in Manchester, instead of torrents.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Someone make sure Country Joe & the Fish are excluded from the Old Trafford area.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

It’s a good day out to remember either way when you go to an Ashes test . I saw Alan Border score one of the slowest most boring tons ever ( It seemed as a kid ) but us  finally win there in 81 . Always remember it

A great day out. I was at Headingley when Sir Geoffrey got his 100th 100. I'll always remember that. As for this test match, well it has proved that Overton and Leach are nowhere near good enough to play test cricket. No matter what Leach has done with the bat, he is supposed to be a bowler. He was rank today, I can't believe Root kept him on.

7 hours ago, Trevorkfevfan said:

Agnew is merciless teasing Boycott, problem for Boycott is that he bites every time! The bloke is short of a grey cell or three!

Maybe, but he could bat. If some of this lot had his application, we would not capitulate like we do. It'll be all over by 3.00 today because instead of playing their normal game, England's batsman will retreat into defensive mode, and make it easy for the Aussies. Be good yo keep Lyon wicketless though.

8 hours ago, Trevorkfevfan said:

Agnew is merciless teasing Boycott, problem for Boycott is that he bites every time! The bloke is short of a grey cell or three!

Someone got a couple of fake "100th Century in Faisalabad" commemorative plates made, and Boycott was good enough to autograph them. Aggers played a blinder that day.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, GeordieSaint said:

Poor defence by Roy; he’d been playing so well too.

That was a rubbish , rubbish shot . He looks all over the place , almost like it’s cricket on ice . You could have drove a Manchester tram through that gate . It was a decent ball but the number of times he’s castled tells you no way is he a test bat . The white ball does nothing  and his technique is set up to stand and deliver to that 

I’m sick as an England fan , but I’ve got to say in this series Cummins has looked the best bowler in the world . Consistency of lines and lengths at good pace has been incredible . Wicket taking , threatening stuff just repeated over n over 

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I’m sick as an England fan , but I’ve got to say in this series Cummins has looked the best bowler in the world . Consistency of lines and lengths at good pace has been incredible . Wicket taking , threatening stuff just repeated over n over 

And then backed up by Hazlewood and the other bowlers. 

Have to say, Denly has been excellent this morning. 

28 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Have to say, Denly has been excellent this morning. 

He gets into a bit of bother from the short stuff but one thing about him compared to Roy is that he’s got a good technique 

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

He gets into a bit of bother from the short stuff but one thing about him compared to Roy is that he’s got a good technique 

I think most batsmen would be in trouble with this Aussie attack; they have been disciplined, accurate and consistent.

Archived