The Ashes Thread - Cricket

Colours to the mast time, I am predicting 4-1 to Australia. Why for the following reasons

• In a what promises to be a low scoring series, will England put enough runs on the board to give the bowlers a chance.
  • Bowling wise, Australia have all basers covered with their attack - England by contrast have two aging seamers, two crocked quicks, a bowler who can bat with a knee problem and a spinner who has lost confidence and is very much a confidence player
  • The atmosphere is flat - England are World Cup Winners and that was the main event this Summer. Frankly we should not be playing the Ashes this year of all years -Try teling the ECB marketing men and women taht though...

Winning the first is crucial in that as with the Womens Ashes, there a gap but not that big a gap between the two sides, Australia got off to a flier in that series and England visibly lost confidence only looking like the side the most of us who watch the game recognise, last night with the pressure off. Ditto this first test, Australia win my prediction looks good. England win and momentum shifts, I will still back Australia to win the series but 4-1 goes out the window.

The word is Peter Siddle will play on an Edgbaston ground where it swings. the interesting call is will England find a way to shoehorn Sam Curran into the side. There's no point in picking Sam in the squad if there is no intention of playing him and IMO if he did play he might have a good time.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I predict a negative series of low scores and short matches given the new ball and both sides having a bowling attack that's much better than their batting.

A few years ago, I'd have gone out of my way to watch these games by working at home, they've lost their "magic" for me though.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

7 minutes ago, ckn said:

A few years ago, I'd have gone out of my way to watch these games by working at home, they've lost their "magic" for me though.

It doesn't help that we had a spate of seemingly only playing Australia so the lustre somewhat left. Plus, obviously, we've just won the World Cup and whilst our bilateral series against the Aussies *is* special, it's not as special as playing every other team in the world and coming out on top, even if that's ODIs versus Tests. Lastly, we're in danger, real danger, of a series that is close but individual matches not being - and that's dull.

I think any and all series results are possible as the two sides are matched pretty well. Neither can bat worth a dime and both have decent enough bowling attacks for the likely conditions. I suspect Australia will win but that's only because they have more to prove.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

46 minutes ago, ckn said:

I predict a negative series of low scores and short matches given the new ball and both sides having a bowling attack that's much better than their batting.

36 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It doesn't help that we had a spate of seemingly only playing Australia so the lustre somewhat left. Plus, obviously, we've just won the World Cup and whilst our bilateral series against the Aussies *is* special, it's not as special as playing every other team in the world and coming out on top, even if that's ODIs versus Tests. Lastly, we're in danger, real danger, of a series that is close but individual matches not being - and that's dull.

I think any and all series results are possible as the two sides are matched pretty well. Neither can bat worth a dime and both have decent enough bowling attacks for the likely conditions. I suspect Australia will win but that's only because they have more to prove.

Yes, I can see where both of you are coming from - especially the point about the rarity value.

I think the first day still has something about it and can set the tone for the rest of the series.

Let’s hope for a bit of excitement.  

Personally I prefer watching us bowl over batting so I’m looking forward to the series as a whole and hopefully a few early wickets.

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

Me too - why didn’t we appeal it do you think?

Giving the Aussies a chance? :kolobok_ph34r:

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

And then the daftest of reviews, way over the top and very obvious from the live bowl so why couldn't the players see that?

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The panto villain is trapped lbw by Broad

Another missed review chance, this time by the Aussies.

A bit of nerves from both sides?

Going entirely as expected so far. Let's see if England manage to be something other than 30-3 when they get their turn.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Is it wrong to think of this England team as the most dislikeable in a very long time?  I'm actually finding myself almost neutral in it.  Almost, but not quite.

Archived