The Ashes Thread - Cricket

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

When Geoffrey Boycott says it's the greatest ' knock ' he's ever seen , then it tells us how good it was 

It was the 5 runs from 123 deliveries part of it that he liked though.

24 minutes ago, JonM said:

It was the 5 runs from 123 deliveries part of it that he liked though.

Which was just as necessary as what followed , that's the point , he was able and focused to do both as an when required 

Just thougt I would wait until after the hyperbole has died down before posting.

"The Greatest Innings of all time" I saw Headingley 1981 as a kid and there are a few other claimants to this title - Certainly Ben Stokes knock is up there and will be the subject of many a late night pub debate years into the future.

"The Greatest Match of all time"  again I saw Headingley 1981, Edgbaston 1981, Edgbaston 2005 but it's up there and as the above, the subject for debate.

"The Greatest Series of all time" - Well if the last two games have anything like the pathos and drama of the first three then this joins 1981 and 2005 as a GOAT contender.

What all of this has in common is that they are ASHES clashes and while it's hard to top a world cup win, and I am still firmly of the view that this series should have been scheduled for another year. This series has delivered.

The only concern going into Old Trafford is that Selectors Ed Smith and James Taylor stick with the same XI for Old Trafford. Jason Roy needs to be put out of his misery, Jos Buttler needs a break, Chris Woakes does too and should be replaced by James Anderson, If fit or Sam Curran if James Anderson is not fit. Dom Sibley was the named England opening concussion substitute for the second and third testsand should replace his ex-Surrey colleague as opener. Buttler is most likey to be replaced by Ollie Pope (again concussion sub for 2/3 Tests) who would bat, unlike last year, at No 6 where he was playing for Surrey. The alternative wuld be Dawid Malan but as I posted here before Ed Smith would have to "eat crow" over his comments about Dawid being suited for overseas conditions and not English or James Vince and If Vince gets the call the scream you here is me logging on to an ECB media release.

I no longer surprised by anything in life but if Mitchell Starc is not playing for Pattinson or Cummns at Old Trafford I cannot see him playing at all and if I was a betting man Usman Khawaja will make way for Steve Smith with Labuschange moving to number three.

On paper, I would still fancy Australia to win but Sport is not played on paer and England now have momentum.

PS - Just a reminder below that not everybody enjoyed yesterday ......

EC00kL9WkAAfzB5.jpg

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

I thought your summary was excellent Rooster. I think in the cold light of day the Australian second innings was rather rushed, as if they thought England would capitulate again. Really they should have batted England out of the game completely. 

I would keep Khawaja at 3 followed by Smith and then Marnus. A middle order consisting of those 3 has capability.

I agree that Starc has to play. 

If Paine were not captain his place would be in peril especially as Wade is a wicketkeeper also. However there is no obvious candidate to bring into the number 6 position. 

I think Khawaja’s goose is cooked . Wade is the other candidate for Smith to come back but I think they like his aggressive attitude . England fans I think struggle with the fact that Starc has played no part , as he’s  the guy on past experience we usually fear most . What would he have done to the tail ? Apparently unlike us they dont believe in carrying over one day form , but I’d be staggered if he’s not in at OT as it usually has some  has pace n bounce . You’d say for Pattinson , although Cummins has had some workload . I think we’ll make two changes , Roy looks shot and utterly frustrated ( as heard on the microphones ) , and Denly will open with Pope coming in . Personally I’d retain Buttler as I don’t see anyone better and experience is a factor in this cauldron . Jimmy will play no doubt if he pulls up ok , I’m not sure Root fancies Woakes to much personally so I can see him ‘ rested ‘ . I see Paine’s point in questioning momentum , with these two sides anything could happen when we start again

I felt for Buttler a bit. While the others got the chance to redeem themselves a bit (not all took it), he was run out by a dodgy call by Stokes on one. Obviously he hasn't performed at all yet but I suspect he gets one more go.

Roy has shown nothing at all to suggest he knows what he is doing in this form of the game and goes. I also fear that Burns' luck has now run out.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

A test match that seemed to sum England up. A team that has individuals capable of brilliance, but a collective capable of sheer ineptitude.

I was worried that it was going to end up as a gallant defeat, with certain players claiming credit where they were due none. Root, Bairstow and Woakes all gave their wickets away, as did Archer (but he is a number 9 playing in his second test), after being in a position at lunch where they were at least an even money chance. They owe Stokes big time, after an insanely good innings.

For the next test, Anderson, if fully fit in for Woakes. Might weaken the batting, but the back up bowling cost us 60-80 runs on the first day, so that balances that out plus Woakes has been worked out to a degree.

Ollie Pope will be very unlucky not to get in the side for either Roy or Buttler. Suspect they will be only two changes, with Denly opening and Sibley having to wait until the winter tours. 

One last point, the ball tracking tool this summer has been tin pot. That lbw might have been hitting leg stump, it certainly wasn't hitting middle and leg. There was also one earlier in the match where leach hit someone on the back leg in front of middle stump and ball tracking gave umpires call on leg stump. Has it been programmed by Muralitharan?!

7 minutes ago, phiggins said:

One last point, the ball tracking tool this summer has been tin pot. That lbw might have been hitting leg stump, it certainly wasn't hitting middle and leg. There was also one earlier in the match where leach hit someone on the back leg in front of middle stump and ball tracking gave umpires call on leg stump. Has it been programmed by Muralitharan?!

I know it's a very minor detail and I only caught it on about the 185th time watching the highlights - we win every time - but that ball tracking graphic says Original Decision: Out. But the point is that the original decision was, is, and forever more shall be, not out.

Like I say, a small thing. But now I've seen it, it's really bugging me.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

58 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Interesting  point this . You could clearly hear the Aussies a few times in the tests complaining about the ball tracking , and Mark Taylor afterwards was ranting about the system . Must admit at times I’m surprised by what it comes up with - it just doesn’t look right on what you’ve seen ! For instance I was convinced Stokes wasn’t out and it was missing or clipping leg , and he blatantly said he didn’t believe the DRS . Paine intimated  the same on his dismissal . And this is before we get to the ‘ultra edge ‘  , where the third umpire can get consumed by technology and go totally on a murmur or spike on a line and forget their common sense and understanding of the game ( there was a truly horrendous example for NZ in the winter ) . I dint know how the boffins work it all out , but complete faith is put in it for right or wrong 

Spoke to my brother on the phone this morning , he's lived in the Hutt Valley just north of Wellington since 1975 , very much " the Kiwi that has won you the World Cup and kept your Ashes alive " attitude in NZ ATM 

6 hours ago, mickhornet said:

Doing a lot of whinging the Aussies nothing new.Blaming the ref.

If they hadn't wasted their last review on a ball that pitched in Bradford they would have won,they got what they deserved.

Paine is O from 9 with reviews , which is usually my ratio on the horses every Saturday . He’s said he’s handing over responsibility for them to someone else . Luckily for him the skipper is back next game to take charge 

Aggers and Liew are back having their weird war of words...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

38 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Aggers and Liew are back having their weird war of words...

Oh dear...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

22 hours ago, DavidM said:

Interesting  point this . You could clearly hear the Aussies a few times in the tests complaining about the ball tracking , and Mark Taylor afterwards was ranting about the system . Must admit at times I’m surprised by what it comes up with - it just doesn’t look right on what you’ve seen ! For instance I was convinced Stokes wasn’t out and it was missing or clipping leg , and he blatantly said he didn’t believe the DRS . Paine intimated  the same on his dismissal . And this is before we get to the ‘ultra edge ‘  , where the third umpire can get consumed by technology and go totally on a murmur or spike on a line and forget their common sense and understanding of the game ( there was a truly horrendous example for NZ in the winter ) . I dint know how the boffins work it all out , but complete faith is put in it for right or wrong 

There has been some tripe spouted by aussies about DRS since the game. Taylor wants umpires to review their own decisions because captains waste reviews. Isn't that the fault of the players rather than the system?

The other pearl of wisdom doing the rounds is that the umpire should've given out because England had a review, but Aus didn't. Frankly one of the most ridiculous suggestions I've ever heard. 

2 hours ago, phiggins said:

The other pearl of wisdom doing the rounds is that the umpire should've given out because England had a review,

McGrath said that as it happened - partly, I suspect, because it looked so obviously out (because it was out) that an umpire who appeared to have been giving stuff out for fun would be expected to give it out.

Oh well.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Was never out , seen it now 2.6 million times on highlights and every time it’s going down . The DRS either malfunctioned in the heat or also withered under the tension . It was Wilson’s best and bravest decision of the series .  

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

McGrath said that as it happened - partly, I suspect, because it looked so obviously out (because it was out) that an umpire who appeared to have been giving stuff out for fun would be expected to give it out.

Oh well.

Except it wasn't obviously out. Umpires will rarely give lbw for right arm over the wicket to a left hander, when you can see middle stump. None of commentators would put their neck on the line and say it was out until they saw ball tracking. McGrath "If that's hitting", Ponting "if that's not hit his front pad, then its very close"

38 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Was never out , seen it now 2.6 million times on highlights and every time it’s going down . The DRS either malfunctioned in the heat or also withered under the tension . It was Wilson’s best and bravest decision of the series .  

It probably would've hit leg stump, but no way it was hitting middle and leg. It malfunctioned to show trajectory after hitting the front pad, and suggested the ball would swing after impact. 

Ultimately, teams have just over 2 reviews per day on average, and they retain reviews if it is umpires call. Fielding teams should never be burning their reviews on LBWs.

44 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Give over

Archived