The Ashes Thread - Cricket

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

Not a great start!

Need a captains innings from Root now. 

This … may not age well.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Yet more world class umpiring there.

That wasn't a difficult one to see it wasn't close.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just now, gingerjon said:

This … may not age well.

Especially if the umpires are going to raise the finger for balls that would be close to a wide down the leg side in a one-day game.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Umpiring has been abysmal . Decisions like that and Wade yesterday are so obviously wrong it’s not funny . The errors were 10 on day two so gawd knows where we are now . At least it’s not a day where umpiring decisions are gonna matter...

17 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Umpiring has been abysmal . Decisions like that and Wade yesterday are so obviously wrong it’s not funny . The errors were 10 on day two so gawd knows where we are now . At least it’s not a day where umpiring decisions are gonna matter...

And another... I generally don't grumble about refs and umpires in games but this is just shamefully bad.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

According to Atherton Joel Wilson has had “ a difficult game “ . There’s one of those commentary euphemisms again . The umpires have had the worst test in living memory ( since the elite panel anyway ) and he’s been especially awful . My question would be what happens to them ? I think the umpires are set for the tests - surely someone monitors all this and takes action .

Quite a lot of the panel are English or Australian . Would anyone mind if they did the tests . If you’re on the elite panel you should just do any test match . I know they’ve talked about this before and it’s only a matter of time before it comes in I’d reckon . You’d think we’ve moved on from times like Tufnell appealing endlessly in Oz , and the umpire saying “ I’m not here to give you Pommy f*&£#@s anything “

Root looks like a walking wicket though, far too many are getting through and he's relying on the umpires bottling it with LBWs now when facing Lyon.

Yep, defensive cricket is the way to save this. Roy epitomises low risk cricket with that last shot.

I think they've decided the only way to get Lyon out of the game is to smash him enough that he's removed. I don't think they've thought it through though, Australia have plenty of runs to play with and can afford a high run rate if it means England do stupid things like that.

I have now seen Roy's dismissal and, on calm reflection, think crucifixion will be acceptable for this first offence.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I have now seen Roy's dismissal and, on calm reflection, think crucifixion will be acceptable for this first offence.

That review just now must be close as well to an "oh for $deity's sake"

I applaud Nassers optimism . We might need that review at 6 o’clock tonight . This certainly puts Moeens rubbish into perspective . A spinner should want to carry this track around 

PS I’ve never ever heard anyone say correction other than sky cricket commentators 

PPS I’ve just noticed the test is sponsored by specsavers . Umps doing a fine job for that sponsorship 

So much for impregnable Edgebaston. 0% chance of precipitation too ?  We need Archer for the next match.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

9 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Pitiful from England so far. Weak. No fight or application.

No surprise at all , I gave us until tea when someone asked me this morning . I’m  afraid we’ve lost the art of just batting time . There’s a one day mentality , and a group of players immersed in one day cricket , so they don’t have the application or skill set just to bat time for hour on end . Jonathon Trott was mulling over this the other day . That time and type of player is out of vogue . It’s about attack , even under the cosh - Root has said this openly . Fine , but in this situation you are totally found wanting . This pitch has suited them down to the ground to . We must have lateral movement or we are stymied with our attack . It’s been an Aussie style track . Archer must play , shame Wood is injured . Whether Stone is in the frame or Rashid we’ll see . We either need a serious word with groundsmen or change our attack to get more dimensions 

9 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Pitiful from England so far. Weak. No fight or application.

TBH, I'm not sure there's a Test side out there you'd expect to bat for a full three sessions to save the game when there's no chance they could push for a win either. It's just not something that happens much any more.

Archived