Liverpool RLFC make progress - Aiming for 2021 Entry

21 hours ago, Eddie said:

I wonder what ticking along actually means. As pleased as I’d be to see a team in Liverpool I seriously doubt it will ever happen as the city is completely absorbed with football, or more specifically Liverpool and Everton, even non league sides can’t thrive there. As far as I’m aware there’s just one amateur club and I don’t think they even have a men’s team.  

Rename Widnes as the Mersey Ferrymen. 

There is no reason not to promote a Liverpool amateur team, but it seems very wrong headed to expect a professional team to thrive.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

So what about the existing academy age range, where will the players come from to fill those teams in this “easy” solution?

They play in the new academy which  will have players who did not get in to the 19 age group.

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Sadly this could be true. It would be an absolute disaster for the sport and undo so much hard work that has gone into expansion at grassroots and League One level. Just so a few greedy short sighted Super League clubs could get an extra few grand in funding. 

Its not only the fault of Super league clubs . Super league players must take part of the blame . They hold clubs to ransom with talks of switching codes or moving down under. There's very few player loyalty . Our game isn't big enough to support full time teams (well not 12 teams ) and with relegation . The relegation factor doesn't help either . Take this season we have a really good competitive league but one team will be relegated . That will probably lead to administration boom and bust just for trying to compete or this season could be on one bad refs call .   

Chief Crazy Eagle

Just now, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Two points;

1. Participation in the game isn’t high as it is. 

2. You want a lower quality of player to be recruited?

Not remotely following what you are saying.   All sports want participation and want to develop players.   The reserve teams will have young players and ubs will develop them.

3 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

So what about the existing academy age range, where will the players come from to fill those teams in this “easy” solution?

the academy will be under 18s and of course that's in effect 16 to 18 years. I see no problem in finding numbers to run an u18s academy indeed it would be cheaper to run as the academy contracts at that age would not be as high.

I would think that most clubs will have around 10 players who with the abolition of the u19s would be spare and add that to the first team squads were there's nearly always about 8 or 9 players not picked then your nearly there for the A team. then you perhaps start holding back a couple of duel reg and loan players and there's the numbers not forgetting the ability to bring in players from other clubs to bolster the A team if needed. so fev could loan Leeds say 3 or 4 players from there own A team that would not be included in the new A team league and thus have plenty of free weekends

Is the plan to get to SL or to be a small lower league club? I think it might be hard to compete in Liverpool as a SL club, I think there will be a struggle to draw crowds (yes I know that's rich coming from a Broncos fan). It will be hard to develop players, as working class kids will already be playing football or boxing, so RL would come a distant third at best. Obviously James Graham is one, but he's an anomaly rather than the norm. If they focused on Liverpool, the Wirral and Lancashire (Preston, Blackburn, Chorley, Lancaster etc) for development purposes, it would be adding to the pool rather than fighting with St Helens and Widnes over a small pool. 

2 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

Is the plan to get to SL or to be a small lower league club? I think it might be hard to compete in Liverpool as a SL club, I think there will be a struggle to draw crowds (yes I know that's rich coming from a Broncos fan). It will be hard to develop players, as working class kids will already be playing football or boxing, so RL would come a distant third at best. Obviously James Graham is one, but he's an anomaly rather than the norm. If they focused on Liverpool, the Wirral and Lancashire (Preston, Blackburn, Chorley, Lancaster etc) for development purposes, it would be adding to the pool rather than fighting with St Helens and Widnes over a small pool. 

the problem is that if they don't aim for super league then the money to develop the game just wont be there and I don't see Koukash and his fellow directors pouring money into a club that's not going to grow in real terms 

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

What semi professional teams can you think of in Liverpool? There was South Liverpool who went bust in the 90s after decades of struggle and are not in the Cheshire league. A.F.C. are a different proposition altogether as you know but even so play in Crosby not Liverpool and are only in the NW Counties League (record attendance about 600). I can’t think of any others even playing NW Counties standard. 

I’ve never lived in Newcastle so don’t know the culture there, though the football comparison seems sensible; however they have a successful Union team with decent gates, that would never happen in Liverpool either imho. 

Just a few that I consider Liverpool. 

Evostick northern premiership division 1 north west:

Marine 

City of Liverpool

Prescot cables

Nwcfl:

Bootle (premier division)

Cammell laird 1907 (division 1 south)

Afc Liverpool (division 1 north)

Lower Breck ( division 1 north)

I personally would also include Vauxhall motors  

2 hours ago, North but south said:

Just a few that I consider Liverpool. 

Evostick northern premiership division 1 north west:

Marine 

City of Liverpool

Prescot cables

Nwcfl:

Bootle (premier division)

Cammell laird 1907 (division 1 south)

Afc Liverpool (division 1 north)

Lower Breck ( division 1 north)

I personally would also include Vauxhall motors  

Marine are Crosby, Bootle isn’t in Liverpool either (though I can see an argument that it is, even though they are not thriving as a club in fact none of those listed are). Camel Laird and VM definitely aren’t. Prescot Cables certainly aren’t. You might as well say St. Helens and Widnes are Liverpool RL teams if you’re counting them as Liverpool football clubs, in which case there is no reason for this debate. 

I’lL give you Lower Breck btw, but I seriously doubt they have any fans as such. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Marine are Crosby, Bootle isn’t in Liverpool either (though I can see an argument that it is, even though they are not thriving as a club in fact none of those listed are). Camel Laird and VM definitely aren’t. Prescot Cables certainly aren’t. You might as well say St. Helens and Widnes are Liverpool RL teams if you’re counting them as Liverpool football clubs, in which case there is no reason for this debate. 

I believe you stated amateur teams, all listed above are semipro which is slightly better than amature. Outside London you'd find very few cities with several teams in the city centre but based in the outskirts. 

I personally look at anything inside the m57 as Liverpool, a lot of people in huyton will say they are from Liverpool. 

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

And when you consider the football madness if the city, the fact that the best you can come up with is an evo stick North (8th tier?) team proves my point. 

Stating that there wasn't any when there are is simply wrong. If you had said professional teams then you would have been correct.

I didn't even include Tranmere.

Why would you include Tranmere? Anyway I really can’t be bothered with pedantic internet arguments but what I said is even non-league teams can’t thrive there, and as far as I’m concerned a team in the 8th tier isn’t what I meant by thriving. And in a city of almost half a million, the fact that the third best team is in the 8th tier of English football demonstrates exactly what I was saying. 

If you want to include anything within the M57 that’s fine, I don’t personally but each to their own. 

12 hours ago, superten said:

Its not only the fault of Super league clubs . Super league players must take part of the blame . They hold clubs to ransom with talks of switching codes or moving down under. There's very few player loyalty . Our game isn't big enough to support full time teams (well not 12 teams ) and with relegation . The relegation factor doesn't help either . Take this season we have a really good competitive league but one team will be relegated . That will probably lead to administration boom and bust just for trying to compete or this season could be on one bad refs call .   

Saints being 10 points clear is not competitive.

Saints and Warrington resting whoever they want for the next 6 games is not competitive.

A race to the bottom is not what we should be aiming for

9 hours ago, yipyee said:

Saints being 10 points clear is not competitive.

Saints and Warrington resting whoever they want for the next 6 games is not competitive.

A race to the bottom is not what we should be aiming for

saints still lost to bottom side London twice.

Any one down to 7th can still make play offs

any one from 8th and below can still be relegated .

Far more to play for more clubs than recent years .

But one problem with the league is they play too many rounds  

Chief Crazy Eagle

17 hours ago, yipyee said:

Is there a gap in the market for a SL team in Liverpool? 

Do liverpudlians who like the game not already fans of saints and Widnes?

Does players who want to play not go and play in saint helens and Widnes? 

Aka Graham 

So what sort of radius do you want to put around an area so that no other teams are allowed inside it?

rldfsignature.jpg

On 03/08/2019 at 16:18, deluded pom? said:

So what sort of radius do you want to put around an area so that no other teams are allowed inside it?

My point is that anyone already interested in the game will be fans of other clubs similar to Wigan football. There is a small hard-core of fans but the rest are Utd, Everton and Liverpool fans.

Wigan tried their best but even their fans were Wigan fans second. Also the rugby fans dont like the footy team?

• 3 months later...
On 02/08/2019 at 13:08, Gerrumonside ref said:

If someone wants to pour their own money into a scheme to popularise the game in Liverpool that sounds great.

My problem with it is there are 2 clubs nearby (Widnes and St Helens). Why haven’t they capitalised on Liverpool?

Archived