Liverpool RLFC make progress - Aiming for 2021 Entry

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

My problem with it is there are 2 clubs nearby (Widnes and St Helens). Why haven’t they capitalised on Liverpool?

While at University I lived in Liverpool, but Scousers would be to answer this better than me. The impression I got was anybody from outside of Liverpool had no connection to Liverpool. They were wools. The outskirts are included as being Scouse (Huyton for example) but anyone non Scouse might as well be from 200 miles away.

Before I went to University I remember a school friend of mine (who had great knowledge of sports) saying St Helens was like Liverpool, Wigan like Manchester. Basically if you supported Liverpool (or Everton) you supported St Helens, and the same for Wigan and the Manchester football clubs. I assumed this was the case given the close proximity of both St Helens and Wigan to the two cities, but I soon learned differently. England isn’t like Australia, Sydney for example, where all those places outside Sydney are regarded as Sydney teams. When Aussies see how close St Helens is to Liverpool and Wigan to Manchester they assume, as did I, that both clubs could call on support from those cities, it isn’t the case. I learned very quickly how parochial England is, with Scousers (in general) only interested in Liverpool and nothing outside, same for Mancs and Manchester. This is a reason why rugby league in the north of England has been largely confined to those towns (and Leeds/Hull) along the M62 and hasn’t been able to expand beyond their own town borders.

Nowhere on Earth can I find a place like England where the accents/dialects are so diverse, places separated by just 40 miles where the English language is spoken so differently. Johnny Vegas from St Helens, he talks nothing like Scousers, and St Helens and Liverpool are much closer than the 40 miles that separate Liverpool and Manchester. They all have their own mini cultures.

2 hours ago, DC77 said:

While at University I lived in Liverpool, but Scousers would be to answer this better than me. The impression I got was anybody from outside of Liverpool had no connection to Liverpool. They were wools. The outskirts are included as being Scouse (Huyton for example) but anyone non Scouse might as well be from 200 miles away.

Before I went to University I remember a school friend of mine (who had great knowledge of sports) saying St Helens was like Liverpool, Wigan like Manchester. Basically if you supported Liverpool (or Everton) you supported St Helens, and the same for Wigan and the Manchester football clubs. I assumed this was the case given the close proximity of both St Helens and Wigan to the two cities, but I soon learned differently. England isn’t like Australia, Sydney for example, where all those places outside Sydney are regarded as Sydney teams. When Aussies see how close St Helens is to Liverpool and Wigan to Manchester they assume, as did I, that both clubs could call on support from those cities, it isn’t the case. I learned very quickly how parochial England is, with Scousers (in general) only interested in Liverpool and nothing outside, same for Mancs and Manchester. This is a reason why rugby league in the north of England has been largely confined to those towns (and Leeds/Hull) along the M62 and hasn’t been able to expand beyond their own town borders.

Nowhere on Earth can I find a place like England where the accents/dialects are so diverse, places separated by just 40 miles where the English language is spoken so differently. Johnny Vegas from St Helens, he talks nothing like Scousers, and St Helens and Liverpool are much closer than the 40 miles that separate Liverpool and Manchester. They all have their own mini cultures.

Top class post and as one of the few non-parochial Scousers I agree with all of it. Anyone who thinks Widnes or Saints either are or ever can be Liverpool teams they are deluded. 

8 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

My problem with it is there are 2 clubs nearby (Widnes and St Helens). Why haven’t they capitalised on Liverpool?

It’s pointless, 98% of Scousers aren’t interested and the 2% that could be have left. 

6 hours ago, The Lad said:

So how many clubs are coming in 2021?, Ontario, New York and maybe Liverpool. And with limited funding to the lower leagues.

I doubt Liverpool will ever be in League One. You’ve missed out Valencia though. 

On 01/08/2019 at 13:20, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Another side that is going to require 20-25 players, on top of Ottawa and players needed for the Super League Reserve League, I still ask the same question; where exactly are these hundreds players going to magically appear from in the next eighteen months?

Academy's cut players every year and these players walk away from the game or go to union....

3 hours ago, DC77 said:

You have to understand that many of these places have a long history (longer than that of Australia itself) and a deep sense of civic pride and individual identity.  

The big problem with Liverpool, is that no one knows anything about rugby league. Maybe some one should write "Support Liverpool RLFC" in chlorine on the Anfield ground the night before game day. Once it gets on BBC world news you'll have a lot more support and people interested in Rugby League.

9 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

The big problem with Liverpool, is that no one knows anything about rugby league. Maybe some one should write "Support Liverpool RLFC" in chlorine on the Anfield ground the night before game day. Once it gets on BBC world news you'll have a lot more support and people interested in Rugby League.

I know quite a few people with an interest in rugby league in Liverpool.

Whether they’ll follow a team in League One is a different question entirely.

I totally support the idea of private individuals putting funding in the game there though.

13 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Pretty close by though.

A lot of people from Wakefield either support Leeds United or Huddersfield Town because there is no pro football team in the city

That works when people from smaller towns go to bigger towns but not the other way around. 

11 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I totally support the idea of private individuals putting funding in the game there though.

I’ve got a handful of pals who are Saints fans but 95% of people would consider a RL a ‘wool’ sport and as a result it’s worthy of derision. 

1 hour ago, Mr Plow said:

Pretty close by though.

A lot of people from Wakefield either support Leeds United or Huddersfield Town because there is no pro football team in the city

Football is a different beast completely and always has been. Comparisons to it are fairly pointless.

4 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

This is a good point. The L1 "experience" isn't always great - a few hundred people watching the game often in not very fantastic surroundings. The quality on the pitch can be a bit hit and miss too. We don't need to just attract people in, we need to keep them too. The  match day experience matters.

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

Things will begin to change with a Toronto. Ottawa and New York in the league.

Not with them playing those small town "wool" teams it won't.  Based on what other posters have had to say about Mancunians and Liverpudlians those traditional teams will probably be a reason for them to ignore what the likes of Toronto and New York bring to the game.  Realistically, breaking through that disinterest/derision would require leaving out the "wool" teams altogether as I have suggested before.

44 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Where’s the dead end argument on this thread?

For the moment Eddie,I'm inclined to agree with Oxford on this.You are scouse,I've lived in liverpool for 20 odd years and for me the proof is irrefutable,nobody is interested in rugby league except for a passing polite question if mentioned,that's the cold hard truth of it. I was by prescot cables ground yesterday and remarked to myself how good they have done for themselves. if a liverpool rugby league club could be formed and achieve a similar size following of the cablemen then I would class that as a success. Now,in a city where people are so passionate about their teams that it consumes them,is that an acceptable level?

Archived