Liverpool RLFC make progress - Aiming for 2021 Entry

16 minutes ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

For the moment Eddie,I'm inclined to agree with Oxford on this.You are scouse,I've lived in liverpool for 20 odd years and for me the proof is irrefutable,nobody is interested in rugby league except for a passing polite question if mentioned,that's the cold hard truth of it. I was by prescot cables ground yesterday and remarked to myself how good they have done for themselves. if a liverpool rugby league club could be formed and achieve a similar size following of the cablemen then I would class that as a success. Now,in a city where people are so passionate about their teams that it consumes them,is that an acceptable level?

Absolutely, if there was an NCL team in Liverpool attracting 350-400 fans to home games it would be a massive success. Tbf I don’t think that would ever happen either, well maybe in Prescot but not in the city. It’s a massive shame, if people there opened their eyes they’d see there’s more to life than Liverpool and Everton. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Absolutely, if there was an NCL team in Liverpool attracting 350-400 fans to home games it would be a massive success. Tbf I don’t think that would ever happen either, well maybe in Prescot but not in the city. It’s a massive shame, if people there opened their eyes they’d see there’s more to life than Liverpool and Everton. 

In that case the question is, What can the game offer them which could make them open their eyes because it's irresistably good/unique/special?  Find the answer to that and then the obstacle can be overcome, but without that answer it won't be overcome.

38 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

In that case the question is, What can the game offer them which could make them open their eyes because it's irresistably good/unique/special?  Find the answer to that and then the obstacle can be overcome, but without that answer it won't be overcome.

How about "New York vs. Liverpool"?  Its so obvious!

46 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

guns! just give them guns

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

Where’s the dead end argument on this thread?

Just read the posts, then find another thread and find banging on about the same things again and again.

Same old ideas, someone mentions expansion, aother asks where are all the players coming from? No one agrees. Dress it up how you like, it's a cul de sac.

2 hours ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

nobody is interested in rugby league

Not what I said or meant, I simply asked why no one ever says enough is enough?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

39 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Just read the posts, then find another thread and find banging on about the same things again and again.

Same old ideas, someone mentions expansion, aother asks where are all the players coming from? No one agrees. Dress it up how you like, it's a cul de sac.

Fair enough, that said this forum would have to close down if we couldn’t endlessly repeat the same old ?

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

I wasn't quoting you or speaking on your behalf!!

Liverpudlians are a strange lot. What most people would say was Liverpool they don't. For example It's like someone from Westminster saying they aren't from London as Westminster is a different place. Speaking to people from Liverpool you'd think Liverpool was only a few streets in a group of towns.

Are there people who play Rugby League in the Liverpool area? Yes. Are there people who are interested in Rugby League living in Liverpool? 100% yes. That's without even considering the 3 large universities in the City.

Whilst working in Liverpool I worked with more people who were interested in Rugby League than where I now work in the middle of Manchester. In my opinion a Rugby League team could work in Liverpool and maybe more so than a team in the middle of Manchester. Teams in both area would be a good boost to the marketability of the game.

7 minutes ago, North but south said:

Liverpudlians are a strange lot. What most people would say was Liverpool they don't. For example It's like someone from Westminster saying they aren't from London as Westminster is a different place. Speaking to people from Liverpool you'd think Liverpool was only a few streets in a group of towns.

Are there people who play Rugby League in the Liverpool area? Yes. Are there people who are interested in Rugby League living in Liverpool? 100% yes. That's without even considering the 3 large universities in the City.

Whilst working in Liverpool I worked with more people who were interested in Rugby League than where I now work in the middle of Manchester. In my opinion a Rugby League team could work in Liverpool and maybe more so than a team in the middle of Manchester. Teams in both area would be a good boost to the marketability of the game.

The City of Liverpool is a distinct place and the towns in the conurbation are completely different, that’s the same everywhere surely?

32 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The City of Liverpool is a distinct place and the towns in the conurbation are completely different, that’s the same everywhere surely?

You ask someone from Stratford were they are from and they will say London. You ask people from most cities who live in the outskirts and they will say they are from that city.

Now Dagenham and Knightsbridge are very different, more so than old swan and Bootle and further apart, yet both will say they are from London and yet the person from Bootle will state they don't come from Liverpool. 

13 minutes ago, North but south said:

You ask someone from Stratford were they are from and they will say London. You ask people from most cities who live in the outskirts and they will say they are from that city.

Now Dagenham and Knightsbridge are very different, more so than old swan and Bootle and further apart, yet both will say they are from London and yet the person from Bootle will state they don't come from Liverpool. 

To be pedantic, people from Bootle and Huyton etc would say they’re from Liverpool but people from the city would say they aren’t. But I understand your sentiment, and yes it is odd. 

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

Fair enough, that said this forum would have to close down if we couldn’t endlessly repeat the same old ?

Well if that's all there is .....

But as an alternative maybe we could discuss how to change things.

3 hours ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

I wasn't quoting you or speaking on your behalf!!

No I never said you were but you said you were agreeing with me when stating stuff I wasn't inclined towards. Nothing more!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

38 minutes ago, Eddie said:

To be pedantic, people from Bootle and Huyton etc would say they’re from Liverpool but people from the city would say they aren’t. But I understand your sentiment, and yes it is odd. 

I'm from Huyton, and yes I say I'm from Huyton.... although we seem to have stronger scouse accents than those from the inner city - who have mainly moved out to suburbs anyway or too St Helens, Warrington, Wigan, etc... even their they in the main still don;t attend RL games.

If somebody asks where I'm from outside of Liverpool/Merseyside, no point saying Huyton, Hunts Cross, Netherley, or whatever as they won't have heard of it.. so easier to say Liverpool and then qualify its as saying well close too..... 

Anyway I guess its to do with Liverpool Corporation boundary or not being born in a inner city Liverpool Maternity Hospital , that is within the old Corpy boundary,  outside that and its not Liverpool for many...

8 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Anyway I guess its to do with Liverpool Corporation boundary or not being born in a inner city Liverpool Maternity Hospital , that is within the old Corpy boundary,  outside that and its not Liverpool for many...

I agree entirely, it’s not Liverpool outside of the city boundary, though I can’t be arsed with all the Wool/Plazzy stuff, I couldn’t care less where people are from. I’d love it if more people in that area were into Saints (or Widnes) it’s not like it’s far. 

Just now, Eddie said:

I agree entirely, it’s not Liverpool outside of the city boundary, though I can’t be arsed with all the Wool/Plazzy stuff, I couldn’t care less where people are from. I’d love it if more people in that area were into Saints (or Widnes) it’s not like it’s far. 

yep, don't know why more don't go along to watch those teams from the area's they have moved into.... I guess some research may help....

... although having first watched Huyton I'm surprised I'm still attending games myself.... chuckle

BTW - hate those terms as well.... funny thing is all the kids where born in Oxford Street Maternity (wife insisted their rather than Whiston) so would more claim their scouse heritage than myself... chuckle...

Archived