Original York RLFC

I’m interested in sone pictures of the original York RLFC club that played at Wiggington Rd /Clarence St for over a century. 

Ive read info on the Knights website as well as in Mike Latham’s Groundhoppers Guide. But I’m wondering if anyone has any photographs of what the original strip looked like and the original club crest/badge. I can’t find a picture anywhere.

Are there any York fans (or even non-York fans) who have some imagery?

8 minutes ago, goldcoaster said:

I’m interested in sone pictures of the original York RLFC club that played at Wiggington Rd /Clarence St for over a century. 

Ive read info on the Knights website as well as in Mike Latham’s Groundhoppers Guide. But I’m wondering if anyone has any photographs of what the original strip looked like and the original club crest/badge. I can’t find a picture anywhere.

Are there any York fans (or even non-York fans) who have some imagery?

From what era mate?

15 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Not always Gav. I can remember pictures of Geoff(?) Pryce and Peter Roe wearing an amber shirt with a broad black V with white trim IIRC. Circa early 1980s.

I also remember them playing in plain amber with no decoration. Quite liked that strip.

York had a number of different strips . in the early days they are often pictured in an all white strip and in the 1970s I have photos of them in a red shirt .

I did post a number of York photos on the Facebook rugby league historian group some time ago . I have a few hundred slides that im transferring to computer from the 1970s and quite a number from the earlier years although of course they would be black and white photos

21 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Not always Gav. I can remember pictures of Geoff(?) Pryce and Peter Roe wearing an amber shirt with a broad black V with white trim IIRC. Circa early 1980s.

york wasps my mate baz banks played at same time Image result for york wasps rugby league shirts

1 hour ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Same club isnt it as the one today - certainly the same fans which is the most important thing

now same club depends on your view on administration, liquidation and other such changes of ownership .

yes I would say same club but these questions have been asked about other clubs in the past so as I say depends what your views are 

1 hour ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Same club isnt it as the one today - certainly the same fans which is the most important thing

Did you actually read the original post?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 01/08/2019 at 12:42, Gav Wilson said:

It used to just be the York Coat of Arms before the Ryedale era I believe mate. And the kit was always amber & black hoops.

Some decent photos here

Some good photos there. Saw Featherstone play many times at York, always a tough game for us. York oftern had ex Featherstone players in their ranks and also a some of them went to coach York as well. 

On 02/08/2019 at 10:48, POR said:

york wasps my mate baz banks played at same time Image result for york wasps rugby league shirts

I am sure Barry played for York pre sponsored shirts and York Wasps. He transferred to Hull around 1981 from York and I don't think he went back. He got picked for Yorkshire whilst playing for York.

On 02/08/2019 at 20:38, Lobbygobbler said:

Yes and it suggests the current club is different to the original

I think in the case of York it is very distinctly a different club, as there was a spell - no matter how short - where no club existed.

2 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I think in the case of York it is very distinctly a different club, as there was a spell - no matter how short - where no club existed.

Matt - our own club had a one year gap after WW2 before playing at Charles St. I think some clubs shut for 6 years during WW2

Not an issue so long as the same fans are continuing supporting

4 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Matt - our own club had a one year gap after WW2 before playing at Charles St. I think some clubs shut for 6 years during WW2

Not an issue so long as the same fans are continuing supporting

A break for a world war is hardly the same as a club going down the financial gurgler and then a new club being formed.

rldfsignature.jpg

4 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

so in that case a club that's been liquidated is the same as you contest is the case for York.

so Bradford, Widnes, hunslet and Keighley are 4 that come to mind and im pretty sure there are more if I could be bothered to look . actually Bradford would be at least twice and of course Sheffield eagles and Gateshead were reformed from the ashes of mergers so they would count of course.would north or south wales count I wonder. 

at the end of the first world war st helens actually took a while out for financial reasons so what's the status with them .

its starting to look as if we could actually get a league together out of them

Archived