York at home

750VFR

Looks like stackys gonna be playing strapped up with injections and listening to cresta in the mail it seems like Star could be missing for this game at least. Lose Sunday and it’s good night for our season. Hope we’ve used this week off to rest and get some freshness back and then go hell for leather for the last 5 games. 

1 hour ago, dhuggybear said:

Will we be expecting a refereeing apology Monday for the forward passes 2 for us given 1 for them not. Thought 1 of ours looked good can't comment on other but there's did look forward. Could have been a different game!!!

Referees arnt going to apologise for correctly calling 2 forward passes, I can’t comment on theirs in the lead up to the last try as I wasn’t in line but ours were clearly forward unfortunately.

7 minutes ago, The Vet said:

Referees arnt going to apologise for correctly calling 2 forward passes, I can’t comment on theirs in the lead up to the last try as I wasn’t in line but ours were clearly forward unfortunately.

No worries thought Tees looked ok other didn't see one in corner and theirs did look dubious.

5 minutes ago, The Vet said:

All three were forward , can’t explain why people keep blaming the officials they are what they are. Missing tackles and ###### poor goal line defence coupled with not talking chances when they are gifted is why Barrow are fighting relegation and York are 2nd in the league . Very hard to beat a team when they complete at 84% and only make two mistakes In their own 30 all game. 

53 minutes ago, wonderofwood said:

All three were forward , can’t explain why people keep blaming the officials they are what they are. Missing tackles and ###### poor goal line defence coupled with not talking chances when they are gifted is why Barrow are fighting relegation and York are 2nd in the league . Very hard to beat a team when they complete at 84% and only make two mistakes In their own 30 all game. 

Finally some sense on a forum... ... halleluja!!

Once again one man rugby , like all season rapid backs with no ball it's so depressing to watch ,York have just come up from league one ,there passing was fluent, line speed great fitness fabulous .our forwards took three tackles to get behind the ball ,not acceptable very few completed sets and the ball boy is more use than Ryan Johnstone very poor compared to Carter who  passed and ran with great passion 

39 minutes ago, jcd said:

Once again one man rugby , like all season rapid backs with no ball it's so depressing to watch ,York have just come up from league one ,there passing was fluent, line speed great fitness fabulous .our forwards took three tackles to get behind the ball ,not acceptable very few completed sets and the ball boy is more use than Ryan Johnstone very poor compared to Carter who  passed and ran with great passion 

In cross and ritson wet have two lightning wings why aren't we using them

You have solved Barrow's problems. "Pass it to the quick players" !!! Rugby league simply isn't about passing it to the wingers. Yesterday was not too dissimilar to how we have lost most our games this year. York beat us around the ruck in attack and defence. Quick play the balls and dominance in defence. The speed of our play the balls have been painful to watch at times this year. We have a big pack but it is not as mobile as the other packs in the league. Set the platform well and then you will see the likes of tee and Deon getting more of the ball. 

Enjoyed the visit to Craven Park yesterday. For what it's worth, I think Barrow are better than some of the teams I have seen this season, BUT, for me, they lacked any sort of structure to their game, at times in the second half, it was like watching the Harlem Globetrotters as they ran this way and that, throwing the ball in the air in the hope somebody would catch it., and this gave the York defence time to get organised. I also thought one or two of your lads were struggling at times fitness wise, if you can address this very quickly, you could still avoid relegation. Good luck for the rest of the season

52 minutes ago, HaxbyKnight said:

Enjoyed the visit to Craven Park yesterday. For what it's worth, I think Barrow are better than some of the teams I have seen this season, BUT, for me, they lacked any sort of structure to their game, at times in the second half, it was like watching the Harlem Globetrotters as they ran this way and that, throwing the ball in the air in the hope somebody would catch it., and this gave the York defence time to get organised. I also thought one or two of your lads were struggling at times fitness wise, if you can address this very quickly, you could still avoid relegation. Good luck for the rest of the season

I agree with you, in the first half our tackling let us down, and gifted you two tries, in the second half it was a different story, the raiders won it 12-6, and with a couple of decisions reversed would have been 18-0 to raiders. I think it was York that ran out of ideas, on the last tackle, they peppered the raiders fullback with high kicks, and defenders trying to push him back. He never missed a kick all game, and apart from a short period with the two forward pass decisions, they never really threatened.

39 minutes ago, alba said:

I agree with you, in the first half our tackling let us down, and gifted you two tries, in the second half it was a different story, the raiders won it 12-6, and with a couple of decisions reversed would have been 18-0 to raiders. I think it was York that ran out of ideas, on the last tackle, they peppered the raiders fullback with high kicks, and defenders trying to push him back. He never missed a kick all game, and apart from a short period with the two forward pass decisions, they never really threatened.

A few oppositions teams fans have said York lack fitness towards the end of a match, not sure if it’s lack of fitness or the fact York often go for the kill earlier on. In a lot of matches we have a really good purple patch, scoring a few tries and building up a lead. Then it’s back to playing a very structured kind of play. The fact there’s only 2 teams (Featherstone X 2) who’ve thrashed York show this approach works. 

We did seem to lose a bit of focus towards the end yesterday. Don’t think it was all one way in the 2nd half though - our forward Mike Kelly lost the ball just short of the line when he had an overlap to his left, also switched off at the drop out. There were chances in that 2nd half to extend the lead. But overall Barrow played the better stuff in the 2nd half.

Barrow for me lack someone to bring things together. Good backs, forwards who aren’t afraid to drive in the ball hard, just need a half decent halfback to guide the team around. 

As for your club, my 2nd visit this season (I was there for the cup game), I still rate you as the friendliest of the Cumbrian clubs, never had any issues and good to talk to some of you in the club next door and the fact your crowds have stood up despite a poor season shows you have potential. I don’t think it will ever be easy for a Cumbrian club due to the location but keep the faith, I’m sure if you can retain some of the better players you’ll be straight back up in 2020. That’s assuming there’s not a huge turnaround in the remaining 4 matches. 

Archived