Match Thread: Dewsbury v Featherstone Rovers. Sunday 4th August 2019

marklaspalmas

Seems ages since we played, but it's only been a fortnight.

Two changes certain from our last game. Will Dagger has left and presumably Jack Johnson slots into his wing position.

And Josh H is banned, so I'm guessing Teteh finally gets a run out. Or Coach Carr may go for Jack Render in the 3/4ers. Or perhaps even Walters into the centre and John Davies back in the 2nd row.

Let's see.

It'll be Jack Ormondroyd's 100th game for Fev. He's served the club well over the years. Still young.

It goes without saying we need this win.

IT'll be one of the rare games I get to see live so I'm looking forward to the team turning on the style.

We should have too much for them but then I recall saying the same earlier in the season before trudging away dejected from post office road when Finn and Sykes did a number on us. 

Ours was a different team back then - no Chissy or Albert or Johnson for instance but we still need to be on top of our game to ensure a win and get a stronger foothold in the playoffs.

UTR

10 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

And Josh H is banned, so I'm guessing Teteh finally gets a run out. Or Coach Carr may go for Jack Render in the 3/4ers. Or perhaps even Walters into the centre and John Davies back in the 2nd row.

Or maybe Alex Sutcliffe will be fit again? He was really impressive for us I thought.

Having listened to Carr's post-match comments following the Rochdale game it wouldn't surprise me if Johnny Davies got a recall. Clear from Carr's comments that he's been simply not selected, rather than injured, recently, but the coach didn't sound very happy with some of the players post-Rochdale.

Our recent record against Dewsbury has been very good, but they have been a real banana skin occasionally for us in recent seasons. Remember going there a few years ago on the crest of a wave for the season opener after a triumphant pre-season under John Bastian before the wheels came off big time (late Thackeray drop goal that day). Then the following season they ended our top 4 hopes 4 days after a wonderful win at Bradford, and that cost Andy Hay his job. And of course they deservedly beat us at our place earlier this season.

Hopefully the players will be well motivated for revenge this time.

58 minutes ago, fevtom said:

With Bradford hosting Toronto this is our chance to go five points clear of 6th and have one foot in the play offs. It won't be an easy game but we should have too much for them.

We need to keep winning, teams are going to fancy their chances against Toronto with the cue perhaps on the rack to a degree - Widnes nearly beat them last time (and Bradford had pummelled Widnes).

Last year we got lucky to a degree with the timing of our late-season game against Toronto but I think we haven't been so lucky this time, Toronto are resting anyone with even the slightest injury and put out a very strange team at Widnes, Mellor at full back, Wilkin at half back and Beswick at loose forward, no Leutele, O'Brien, Russell etc, they might be vulnerable the next few weeks.

Squad named:
https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/carr-names-19-man-squad-for-dewsbury-w94pF

As well as Will Dagger returning to Hull KR, Ben Reynolds has now returned to Wakefield, so Callum McLelland is called up.

There's a welcome return for Alex Sutcliffe.

New signing Jack Johnson is in the squad, and Scott Wheeldon returns, with Jack Ormondroyd giving way. Think Jack is unlucky as he has played well recently in my view.

Line-up looks fairly straightforward then, one to miss out from the backs (probably Teteh) and one from the forwards (interesting to see if Davies gets a runout this time).

Agree about Ormondroyd being unlucky he has done well for us this season.Don't think he has reached the potential he showed a couple of seasons ago but regular games have helped to show consistent form.If Davies plays we could have him popping up as an inside centre down one side and Day down the other.Not an easy game at Dewsbury and i will settle for two points without thinking about the points scored.

Regarding McLelland; he has played 3 games for us this season (including one in the 1895 Cup) so to be eligible to play for both Leeds and us after the end-of-season deadline he needs to play once more (or twice if the 1895 Cup doesn't count, though I can't find anything that says it doesn't). Now that Reynolds has returned to Wakefield, it looks like McLelland is going to be Chisholm's half back partner for the rest of the season, barring another signing before the signing deadline next Friday.

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Squad named:
https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/carr-names-19-man-squad-for-dewsbury-w94pF

As well as Will Dagger returning to Hull KR, Ben Reynolds has now returned to Wakefield, so Callum McLelland is called up.

There's a welcome return for Alex Sutcliffe.

New signing Jack Johnson is in the squad, and Scott Wheeldon returns, with Jack Ormondroyd giving way. Think Jack is unlucky as he has played well recently in my view.

Line-up looks fairly straightforward then, one to miss out from the backs (probably Teteh) and one from the forwards (interesting to see if Davies gets a runout this time).

Can't see the squad listing under that heading. Why?

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Regarding McLelland; he has played 3 games for us this season (including one in the 1895 Cup) so to be eligible to play for both Leeds and us after the end-of-season deadline he needs to play once more (or twice if the 1895 Cup doesn't count, though I can't find anything that says it doesn't). Now that Reynolds has returned to Wakefield, it looks like McLelland is going to be Chisholm's half back partner for the rest of the season, barring another signing before the signing deadline next Friday.

noticed not in their squad friday so from playing regular games gone back to sitting in the stand but guess he can have a run out as water boy ?

3 minutes ago, POR said:

if the four dr play then one of the two loan players have to miss out so if johnson plays teteh and albert miss out if albert plays johnson and davies miss out

Johnson isn't on loan.

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/johnson-joins-the-rovers-Hpkky

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Whoever misses out tomorrow, I hope they get a game next week? While the win is paramount, the strength and readiness of the squad is almost as important with the play-offs looming, and everyone needs to be match fit and ready to cover any injuries or other absences.

Archived