Match Thread: Dewsbury v Featherstone Rovers. Sunday 4th August 2019

marklaspalmas

Very lucky to come away with a win.Dewsbury certainly deserved something out of the game.Not good conditions for playing Rugby League and both teams put in the effort for 80min.I won't be too critical about players but a few of ours were not at it today.Best for Fev Davies ,Wellington,and Golding played very well with Mclelland showing up also.For Dewsbury thought Sykes.Knowles,Trout and no's 33 and 42 stood out.We are not playing at our best but managing to win which is something.Just wish the centres and wingers could get some early ball as they are getting few chances.

Got out of jail.

should never have been in that posistion we ended up in if chizzy not gone for spectacular rather than the simple when he broke through

How Connor Jones didnt get on today is beyond me - the game was crying out for him for me, King average today bar the tackle at the end

Davies and Albert best forwards today 

Johnson looked shaky under the high ball and Render was hopelessly out of posistion for their third try 

Next week is not a gimme next week VS Swinton

Give credit to Dewsbury. They've got some talented players and until we decide to throw the ball about more then we will struggle even more. It must take more out of players constantly pounding down the middle in this heat than throwing the ball wide. We must start using Jones like we used Andy Kain cos to have that talent sat on the bench all afternoon beggars belief.

18 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Always thought that this would be a tough game. As a positive, can’t remember the last time we won a game with a drop goal.

I reckon the last time was also against Dewsbury, at home in 2016, when a Danny Craven drop goal saw us win 21-20.

In the opening game of 2014 Dewsbury beat us 11-10 thanks to a late Thackeray drop goal, so that's 3 times in 5 years that a game between us and the Rams has been decided by a late 1-pointer.

10 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Give credit to Dewsbury. They've got some talented players and until we decide to throw the ball about more then we will struggle even more. It must take more out of players constantly pounding down the middle in this heat than throwing the ball wide. We must start using Jones like we used Andy Kain cos to have that talent sat on the bench all afternoon beggars belief.

not the first time  he's had  some one warming their backsides on the bench all game

Well played Rovers - it was a highly entertaining game and your defence at the end was terrific though maybe with a bit of composure we could and perhaps should have taken a DG and a point. Still, we are heartened by our performance and you know you have been in a tough game.

10 minutes ago, Reverend Ram said:

Well played Rovers - it was a highly entertaining game and your defence at the end was terrific though maybe with a bit of composure we could and perhaps should have taken a DG and a point. Still, we are heartened by our performance and you know you have been in a tough game.

Excitng game for the neutral. But not good for the ticker?.Dewsbury should have concentrated on the drop goal and am certain the game would have ended all square. Your centre looked a certain scorer in the last few seconds but was magnificently brought down.

Thought it was a poor game quality wise but exciting because of the way the last 10 mins went. Lots of disappointing performances from Fev and for Carr not to use Jones when it was clear King was struggling is baffling to say the least. No doubt Chisholm will get all the glory for the winning drop goal but he was pretty anonymous up to that point. Still a wins a win.

just what we needed going (hopefully)into a play off spot.  last thing we need is to smash teams, good win, with good defence on the goal line (at last) to win.  Dewsbury are a very good team for some baffling reason lower in the league than they should be.

I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

2 hours ago, elppaxr2i said:

Got out of jail.

should never have been in that posistion we ended up in if chizzy not gone for spectacular rather than the simple when he broke through

How Connor Jones didnt get on today is beyond me - the game was crying out for him for me, King average today bar the tackle at the end

Davies and Albert best forwards today 

Johnson looked shaky under the high ball and Render was hopelessly out of posistion for their third try 

Next week is not a gimme next week VS Swinton

I thought Johnnie D was the difference today.  We struggled before he came on, we took the lead while he was on, and then they came back into it when he went off again.  Thank god he was on for the last 10.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

3 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

When you look at our results and performances this season, we do seem to play up or down to the level of our opponents.

Oooh thank you kind sir. We knows our place.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

11 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

Following the remarks made I wonder if they apply to Leigh as well? Either they were very poor or Swinton have started playing really well.!!

They have only lost two of their last seven, they beat Toulouse away, drew at Bradford, and only went down by a point at Leigh. You could argue their recent results are closer to those of a top 5 team than a bottom 5 one.

21 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Ha! We seem to play to the league position level of our opponents, is that better?

To be fair I was impressed by your defensive organisation on Sunday. We pressed strongly for a lot of the time and would have created/scored a lot more against a less well organised side.

Your front row wasn't as strong as it should have been and, now that you have lost another scrum half, you may be overly dependent upon Chisholm for the remainder of the season. You could certainly cause an upset in the play-offs though.

I like playing against Fev: we rarely get much out of the games even if we are generally competitive but it is always a good atmosphere with a good crowd of sound RL supporters - seen it all, done it all, plenty of bumps and bruises along the way and always well behaved. Proper fans, like I say.

(This won't stop me from trying to wind you up now and then, though.)

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

7 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

To be fair I was impressed by your defensive organisation on Sunday. We pressed strongly for a lot of the time and would have created/scored a lot more against a less well organised side.

Your front row wasn't as strong as it should have been and, now that you have lost another scrum half, you may be overly dependent upon Chisholm for the remainder of the season. You could certainly cause an upset in the play-offs though.

I like playing against Fev: we rarely get much out of the games even if we are generally competitive but it is always a good atmosphere with a good crowd of sound RL supporters - seen it all, done it all, plenty of bumps and bruises along the way and always well behaved. Proper fans, like I say.

It wouldn't be the same if you didn't!!! 

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Dont start getting us a good name. We are just coming to terms with our bad image. To be fair I enjoy coming to Dewsbury and Batley more than any other. That stand generates a good atmosphere and you have a smashing ground. With friendly supporters. What I dont really understand is that if you play like you do against Fev then why arent you in the top five?

25 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Dont start getting us a good name. We are just coming to terms with our bad image. To be fair I enjoy coming to Dewsbury and Batley more than any other. That stand generates a good atmosphere and you have a smashing ground. With friendly supporters. What I dont really understand is that if you play like you do against Fev then why arent you in the top five?

Because we have only just started playing like that. It has taken Lee Greenwood quite some time to assemble a 17 that plays for him, having taken charge very late and not having the resources that Carr was able to tap into. We'll be right this year and will be pushing for top 8 next season.

Had a long look at the game on RoversTV, for me it really highlights yet again how important it is not to turn the ball over in your own teritory.

From memory we did this inside our own 30m at least 7 times - Albert in the first half and again in the 2nd half (when Knowles was all over him), McLelland from a kick off, Chisholm twice (once when trying to gather a grubber on his line, once when knocking down a pass), and also a forward pass in each half.

Apart than those occasions, and one run from Ryder, Dewsbury never threatened form outside our 20m line. We outgained them in terms of yardage gained by over 350 yards. But you've got to respect possession.

One other thing we need to give some attention - it was obvious to everyone in the stadium that Dewsbury would try a short kick off after Chisholm's drop goal with time nearly up, but the two guys standing where the left-footed Sykes was likeliest to kick it were King and Chisholm , two of the smallest guys on the team. Can't remember who we had left on the pitch at that time but surely you want your Walters/Day/Harrison/Sutcliffe types up at the 10m line in obvious kick off situations.

3 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Had a long look at the game on RoversTV, for me it really highlights yet again how important it is not to turn the ball over in your own teritory.

From memory we did this inside our own 30m at least 7 times - Albert in the first half and again in the 2nd half (when Knowles was all over him), McLelland from a kick off, Chisholm twice (once when trying to gather a grubber on his line, once when knocking down a pass), and also a forward pass in each half.

Apart than those occasions, and one run from Ryder, Dewsbury never threatened form outside our 20m line. We outgained them in terms of yardage gained by over 350 yards. But you've got to respect possession.

One other thing we need to give some attention - it was obvious to everyone in the stadium that Dewsbury would try a short kick off after Chisholm's drop goal with time nearly up, but the two guys standing where the left-footed Sykes was likeliest to kick it were King and Chisholm , two of the smallest guys on the team. Can't remember who we had left on the pitch at that time but surely you want your Walters/Day/Harrison/Sutcliffe types up at the 10m line in obvious kick off situations.

I doubt anyone has the stats but I wouldn't bet against us being the worse team in the league (probably all 3 'pro' divisions) for failing to gain/keep possession from a ko to us.

Archived