Saints will look HOME and abroad for Holbrook replacement.

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I wouldn't be so sure about Long personally but there you go. By all reports Holbrook to GC was done in less than a month and as we've heard nothing major in the press about Holbrook turning down a new deal at Saints, what conclusion can be drawn from that?

I agree and think Saints will almost certainly go down under unless other factors make a British option more viable.

After being bitten by the Cunningham appointment there's no way Long would have got the job any time soon.

Given that Holbrook was out of contract this year anyway, it's highly unlikely that they haven't given any thought to alternative options. Back in April I think it was, both parties said they would sit down to discuss a new deal but two potential NRL opportunities came up in that period which held things up. I don't think it's like he's just walked in one day and said bye so shouldn't have been a total surprise.

This has come as no surprise to Saints. We've had contingencies in place since for quite a while in case Holbrook left. We were sounding out a potential successor long before last week's announcement.

Interviews for the head coaches position are already booked in. We have six candidates at present and a couple of Saints representatives are heading out to Australia shortly to interview.

Also, I wouldn't read too much into the quotes that we're looking in the UK for a new coach!

1 hour ago, Chris22 said:

This has come as no surprise to Saints. We've had contingencies in place since for quite a while in case Holbrook left. We were sounding out a potential successor long before last week's announcement.

Interviews for the head coaches position are already booked in. We have six candidates at present and a couple of Saints representatives are heading out to Australia shortly to interview.

Also, I wouldn't read too much into the quotes that we're looking in the UK for a new coach!

If they are again looking down under for coaches that's incredibly short sighted. Have they not learnt their lesson? 

43 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

If they are again looking down under for coaches that's incredibly short sighted. Have they not learnt their lesson? 

You mean the lesson of having a coach quickly turn us into far and away the best team in the country?

46 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

How many trophies have you won under Holbrook? 

Give over, he’s only had one season of trophy winning potential (and we won the league leaders shield). This season the treble is nailed on ?

3 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Which lesson? The one where an Aussie has transformed the culture of the club on and off the field in two and a half years, finished top two years running playing some incredibly entertaining stuff and now preparing for a challenge cup final?

Appointing Holbrook was anything but short sighted for the club as a whole. Appointing someone now who has experience of being involved in big games, of winning cultures and is looking to make a name for themselves for a top job back home a couple of years later also wouldn't be short sighted. It would be perfectly sensible.

6 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Daniel Anderson?

Ian Millward?

When will they learn their lesson.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

On 03/08/2019 at 09:05, The Daddy said:

I'm a strong advocate of Richard Marshall, what he achieved at Halifax a club with limited resources was outstanding. If he's not ready to step up now I don't know when he will be. 

I still can't get my head around the "Marshall over achieved at Fax" opinion. We finished as either the 1st or 2nd best part time team in the competition while having the 1st or 2nd best part time budget in the division. We also managed maybe just 1 win in all the middle 8 competitions we played in  which could hardly be classed as progress. His eye for a player is poor so he would need a lot of help in that regard, we still have the bulk of Karl Harrisons team from 4 years ago while the turnover of players that Marshall has brought in only to show the door has been pretty high. 10 Players out of our current 32 man first team squad are Marshall's signings, out of those 10 there are 2 of them that have already left the club, 1 that is on a season long loan and is no longer getting in the team, and another that has been told to find another club. We are left with basically 4 players out of a 32 man squad who Marshall signed that are regular first team players. A lot is also mentioned about our reserve team but again Marshall has had little or no input in to the players that we signed and most of them have been down to Martin Gonzalez and Steve Greenwood.

Saying all that with a lot of help around him that he would get at Saints you never know. I doubt he would last a season though.

What about Shane Flanagan. He was very successful at Cronulla, including winning an NRL Grand Final. He is currently deregistered by the NRL, because of the drugs fiasco at Cronulla, and his violation of a ban on him being connected to the club.

I don't know if he wants to relocate to the UK, but surely he would be worth a phone call, wouldn't he?

On 03/08/2019 at 13:23, Oliver Clothesoff said:

You’re basing Saints’ readiness for such news off Ladbrokes?

Have a good day pal, no point going any further, is there?

I think most of us worked that out with you a while ago.

You'd have a paddy if we said Saints couldn't pick eleven of their team and beat Manchester City at football.

People called Romans they go the house

On 04/08/2019 at 20:46, Manfred Mann said:

What about Shane Flanagan. He was very successful at Cronulla, including winning an NRL Grand Final. He is currently deregistered by the NRL, because of the drugs fiasco at Cronulla, and his violation of a ban on him being connected to the club.

I don't know if he wants to relocate to the UK, but surely he would be worth a phone call, wouldn't he?

Given they signed Barba who had issues, Flanagan could be a option. 

There are probably other younger assistant coaches who will want to emulate Holbrook who will get the job though I feel. Saints will want to go for a similar appointment. 

Flanagan might be very  good for Leeds though. 

On 04/08/2019 at 20:46, Manfred Mann said:

I’d be disgusted. I don’t want him at all. 

Betfred has Sydney Roosters Assistant coach Adam O'Brien as the short priced favourite. If he was chosen he would be following in the career footsteps of the man he replaced at the Roosters.

Archived