Was Wembley 1994 The Greatest Performance By The National Team?

Just watched this again. Amazingly, it slips under the radar sometimes when people talk about the greatest international games and performances. 

GB were down to 12 men after 25 minutes in the Ashes Test at Wembley. Edwards was captain too on that day.

They held the Kangaroos to one try despite being one man down for 70% of the game. This wasn't any Australian side either. It had Mullins, ET, Menninga, Renouf, Sailor, Daley, Langer, Harrogan, Clyde, Fittler and Stuart. They were hammering the GB line for the whole of the second half.

This should be on the tip of everyone's tongue when they talk about famous days. The Davies' try often gets shown but the performance is not spoken about as much as it should. It is 25 years since that game this year.

9 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Just watched this again. Amazingly, it slips under the radar sometimes when people talk about the greatest international games and performances. 

GB were down to 12 men after 25 minutes in the Ashes Test at Wembley. Edwards was captain too on that day.

They held the Kangaroos to one try despite being one man down for 70% of the game. This wasn't any Australian side either. It had Mullins, ET, Menninga, Renouf, Sailor, Daley, Langer, Harrogan, Clyde, Fittler and Stuart. They were hammering the GB line for the whole of the second half.

This should be on the tip of everyone's tongue when they talk about famous days. The Davies' try often gets shown but the performance is not spoken about as much as it should. It is 25 years since that game this year.

My favourite ever game it has to be said.

That and the 3rd test of 88. Melbourne is also up there.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

51 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Probably.

Think Princes Park Melbourne 2nd test of 1992 tour ranks alongside it too.

22 minutes ago, M j M said:

The Rorke's Drift Test in 1914, the 1954 and 1974 World Cup finals are arguably the greatest historical performances.

Don't forget the 1970 Ashe's series decider in Sydney, probably the best GB test team of all?

It was a great game and one that I've watched again several times - both with Ray French commentating and also with the Aussie commentator.

Jonathan Davies was immense in that game. It's a real shame he got the injury and had to go off and then miss the other matches.

The early 90's were for me a golden era that I'll always remember fondly. Partly because I was young and sport always seems more magical when you're a kid, but also because there were some fantastic games too.

1st and 2nd tests in 1990 were amazing, as was this test in 1994 and the 1992 world cup final at Wembley. I didn't follow the 1992 ashes down under at the time, but I've since watched the test GB won and that was good too. There was something magical about winning at the old Wembley though.

Rorke's Drift is probably the greatest ever Test - I had the pleasure of wearing my Rorke's Drift commemoration England shirt at the SCG on ANZAC Day this year - but a word has to be said for the Battle of Brisbane 1958. GB Captain Alan Prescott broke his arm in the 3rd minute but played on for the whole game - in the pack!!

2 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

How can we say which is the best GB performance of all time? In our memory, yes. All time, no.

So in your memory, was 1994 a better performance than the Rourke's Drift Test or not? ? 

9 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

It was a great game and one that I've watched again several times - both with Ray French commentating and also with the Aussie commentator.

Jonathan Davies was immense in that game. It's a real shame he got the injury and had to go off and then miss the other matches.

The early 90's were for me a golden era that I'll always remember fondly. Partly because I was young and sport always seems more magical when you're a kid, but also because there were some fantastic games too.

1st and 2nd tests in 1990 were amazing, as was this test in 1994 and the 1992 world cup final at Wembley. I didn't follow the 1992 ashes down under at the time, but I've since watched the test GB won and that was good too. There was something magical about winning at the old Wembley though.

"Good" is all you have to say about that match in Melbourne?  Have any of us here ever seen Australia beaten as comprehensively as they were that night??

24 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

"Good" is all you have to say about that match in Melbourne?  Have any of us here ever seen Australia beaten as comprehensively as they were that night??

As I explained, I didn't watch it live at the time, so that's why it isn't quite as magical for me as the other games are. I'll happily upgrade it in terms of performance to great and amazing.

3 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

As I explained, I didn't watch it live at the time, so that's why it isn't quite as magical for me as the other games are. I'll happily upgrade it in terms of performance to great and amazing.

I didn't even follow the sport at the time, I found that match online a while back and downloaded it to watch.  Seeing Australia beaten like that, and in their own back yard too, was something to behold.

26 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I didn't even follow the sport at the time, I found that match online a while back and downloaded it to watch.  Seeing Australia beaten like that, and in their own back yard too, was something to behold.

Yes, I enjoyed watching it almost 25 years later. It must have been amazing to watch live at the time though. I think it's even more special when you actually have a memory of it happening at the time.

I was there and was sat in the corner where Edwards was sent off. I remember him standing in front of us and everyone was giving loads of abuse because we thought that he had just cost us the game. To restrict an Aussie team that had many players who are legends of the Australian game to just one try was an amazing effort and that try by Davies will always be remembered as one of the great Great Britain tries.

Archived