Two former Leeds and England stars struggle Down Under

On 22/02/2020 at 17:27, AB90 said:

I'm of the belief that the top 20 best english super league players could all make it in the nrl. And by make it, I mean make starting, full strength match day 17's assuming they were randomly scattered throughout the 16 teams.

Only exception would be spine players (1,6,7,9) as they would have to go to specific teams with a need. 

Then even the next group of players from 20 - 40 could all make squad's and still play throughout the year. Just maybe not if the team is at full strength. Ryan Sutton fits into this category at Canberra.

What about George Williams then, he can't replace Wighton can he?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 22/02/2020 at 17:27, AB90 said:

I'm of the belief that the top 20 best english super league players could all make it in the nrl. And by make it, I mean make starting, full strength match day 17's assuming they were randomly scattered throughout the 16 teams.

Only exception would be spine players (1,6,7,9) as they would have to go to specific teams with a need. 

Then even the next group of players from 20 - 40 could all make squad's and still play throughout the year. Just maybe not if the team is at full strength. Ryan Sutton fits into this category at Canberra.

I guess it depends on what you mean by this.

Canberra have clearly decided that their need is to update their halfbacks from a Grand Final team to a Premiership winning team and to do that they have swapped in George Williams for Sezer. 

Time will tell if this is a wise move but it shows that a British half is very much wanted by a leading NRL team.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

Watkins is rubbish though.  He’s got a turn of pace, can hit a gap and defends ok.  He’s not a ball player in any sense of the word though and you need that to be a successful outside back in the NRL.

Did you really just write that? ??‍♂️

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

Watkins is rubbish though.  He’s got a turn of pace, can hit a gap and defends ok.  He’s not a ball player in any sense of the word though and you need that to be a successful outside back in the NRL.

Watkins isn't rubbish.

At his best, he is a much better centre than Brian Kelly or Tyrone Peachey. The big question mark is whether the recent injuries have stopped him reaching these heights, but he is young enough to come back.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Did you really just write that? ??‍♂️

Honestly I think he’s really over-rated.  I’ll take back “rubbish” as a bit harsh but I see him as a more athletic than skilful centre so I think he’s a bit limited.  I’m always quick to acknowledge that if I’ve seen him play say 50(?) times, maybe I’m not as in the know as a Rhinos fan who had watched him 300 times, but I’m often a bit disappointed by him.

2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Honestly I think he’s really over-rated.  I’ll take back “rubbish” as a bit harsh but I see him as a more athletic than skilful centre so I think he’s a bit limited.  I’m always quick to acknowledge that if I’ve seen him play say 50(?) times, maybe I’m not as in the know as a Rhinos fan who had watched him 300 times, but I’m often a bit disappointed by him.

So even in the matches he played with Gold Coast last year, he showed real class in the centres and the commentators were eulogising about him with ball in hand.

It was his defensive efforts which really saw him exposed (whether not being fit or lacking the mobility now post injury).

By all accounts, he's had a strong pre-season and looks fitter/stronger so we will see when the season starts. I hope he's not done

28 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I think like  Hall we should judge Watkins this year . No excuses now if they’re fit and get a chance . There was mitigation last season but this year it’s on them 

Absolutely, they are both experienced and successful players with a full pre-season behind them. Time to show what they can do.

3 hours ago, Tonka said:

Watkins is in the top 5 centres to ever play in SL - my opinion of course but you won't get many in the game disputing that. The guy is 28 and undoubtedly was brought back into first time way too early the other year at Leeds. I'm confident he'll start most games for GC this year. 

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

So even in the matches he played with Gold Coast last year, he showed real class in the centres and the commentators were eulogising about him with ball in hand.

It was his defensive efforts which really saw him exposed (whether not being fit or lacking the mobility now post injury).

By all accounts, he's had a strong pre-season and looks fitter/stronger so we will see when the season starts. I hope he's not done

I must have watched the Aussie commentary, I missed this bit.

They talked him up on reputation, I do not remember anyone pumping up his tires on game day performances.

I was totally wooden in defense and did not even look like he was trying to hang on to an attacker.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

2 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Watkins is in the top 5 centres to ever play in SL - my opinion of course but you won't get many in the game disputing that. The guy is 28 and undoubtedly was brought back into first time way too early the other year at Leeds. I'm confident he'll start most games for GC this year. 

Well if he can't start for the Titans he may as well retire.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Absolutely, they are both experienced and successful players with a full pre-season behind them. Time to show what they can do.

Hall hasn't had a full preseason, but agree when he's fit it's time to prove he can still do it at his age and in the toughest league. I know he regrets not going when he was 26 (at the end of 2015 season) but life got in the way of it back then, as is often the case. 

6 minutes ago, Allora said:

They talked him up on reputation, I do not remember anyone pumping up his tires on game day performances.

I was totally wooden in defense and did not even look like he was trying to hang on to an attacker.

Must admit I remember that game - really felt for him because nothing went right. 

Just now, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Hall hasn't had a full preseason, but agree when he's fit it's time to prove he can still do it at his age and in the toughest league. I know he regrets not going when he was 26 (at the end of 2015 season) but life got in the way of it back then, as is often the case. 

Yes, I was going to say that as well but he was back on the training pitch on the 8th of January so a solid two months.

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, I was going to say that as well but he was back on the training pitch on the 8th of January so a solid two months.

Yeah the 'casualty ward' section on the NRL website is usually pretty accurate and just noticed that has updated Hall to be fit for trials week 2 - before it was showing round 1. Not sure if that's an indication he'll be listed for the trial but that squad hasn't come out yet. 

image.thumb.png.0b850ee64bd295056748b4790fe14030.png

16 minutes ago, Allora said:

No worries, memory gets to us all when we reach a certain stage of life ?

7 hours ago, Allora said:

I hope they don't both produce sick notes from the Doctor every week to say they are not feeling well.

So do I.

But seeing as though they have played 661 senior games between them I doubt they are going to cry off anytime soon.

9 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Unfortunately I can't see Hall ousting Tupou or Morris,his only chance will come if either pick up an injury.

I really hope Watkins can get back to the level he played 3 yrs ago but the Titans have Peachy & Kelly as other options in the centre's so getting in the team isn't that straight forward.

10 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I guess it depends on what you mean by this.

Canberra have clearly decided that their need is to update their halfbacks from a Grand Final team to a Premiership winning team and to do that they have swapped in George Williams for Sezer. 

Time will tell if this is a wise move but it shows that a British half is very much wanted by a leading NRL team.

I more so mean, if your a fullback, say for instance Jack Walker or Zack Hardaker and want to play full back in the nrl it wouldn't be wise to sign with the Roosters (Tedesco) unless your happy to play reserve grade for little money. You would have to sign for a team that specifically has a need at fullback. Titans, Panthers and tigers are the only teams that come to mind.

The William's situation is interesting as when Canberra decided to part ways with Sezier they weren't a grand final team. William's signing was announced in early July so the decision to move on from Sezier would of been made prior to 2019 season when Canberra were not even predicted to make the top 8.

Just an assumption, but if Canberra new how the season would pan out and the contribution Sezer would make they may have had second thoughts on signing Williams.

14 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Unfortunately I can't see Hall ousting Tupou or Morris,his only chance will come if either pick up an injury.

As mentioned in the WCC thread, when Hall is available I can see Morris moving to centre and Hall on the wing so that Crighton can move back into the pack.

Archived