thousands of empty seats at Wembley Charity Shield

So I've just watched highlights of the charity shield between two massive clubs and it's a premium event for the biggest sport on the planet/UK, there were thousands of empty seats. I can guarantee there will be no mention of this anywhere.

Discuss.

7 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

So I've just watched highlights of the charity shield between two massive clubs and it's a premium event for the biggest sport on the planet/UK, there were thousands of empty seats. I can guarantee there will be no mention of this anywhere.

Discuss.

It was mentioned and discussed on the Five Live commentary of the game.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Discuss.

I think that might be where you are confused, it is not a premium event in many fans eyes. It is a pre-season friendly, with probably less riding on it, than the Yorkshire Cup, organised by some of the championship clubs earlier this year.

10 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Discuss.

I can guarantee there will be no mention of this anywhere.

See HERE 

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Ticket prices ranged from £20-45 too.

It's a friendly. Might as well count the Emirates Cup as a big game.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

I'm not critical of the crowd, was adding context. 

I have used this game as a reference point for RL though, this game generally gets bigger crowds than our Cup Final, has more profile generally and involves teams who are far bigger than the RL teams that play at Wembley.

But they still have the challenges around selling the stadium out. They have to make tickets cheap and are still very often left with thousands and thousands of tickets. 

I don't think a bit of realism all round would go amiss.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm not critical of the crowd, was adding context. 

I have used this game as a reference point for RL though, this game generally gets bigger crowds than our Cup Final, has more profile generally and involves teams who are far bigger than the RL teams that play at Wembley.

But they still have the challenges around selling the stadium out. They have to make tickets cheap and are still very often left with thousands and thousands of tickets. 

I don't think a bit of realism all round would go amiss.

BUT YOU ONLY WANT TO SPEND £20 TO GO TO A GAME (HERE'S A QUID). Or something.

Oh, and I do kind of agree. But the challenge here is selling to fans who know this game is a very minor deal who, by implication, were last at Wembley less than three months ago and who will now have a 55+ game season for their team to support.

Tickets for Day 5 at Edgbaston are £25 general admission by the way. £5 for kids. I think that's too high.

29 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

BUT YOU ONLY WANT TO SPEND £20 TO GO TO A GAME (HERE'S A QUID). Or something.

Oh, and I do kind of agree. But the challenge here is selling to fans who know this game is a very minor deal who, by implication, were last at Wembley less than three months ago and who will now have a 55+ game season for their team to support.

Tickets for Day 5 at Edgbaston are £25 general admission by the way. £5 for kids. I think that's too high.

Post reported.

On the Community Shield point, it is interesting to look back at the history of the event. It seems it very rarely sold out - 25 years ago Man Utd vs Blackburn got 60k, before dropping a further 20k 12months later when Everton took on Blackburn.

I get frustrated where people refuse to consider context, as you describe, the above game had a certain challenge facing it. Just like the Challenge Cup had a unique challenge facing it last year. Yet people just blindly shout that this should be a bigger event and we should sellout with neutrals either way.

I am convinced we can be doing better, but a dose of realism should help us to understand what success looks like. 

37 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Maybe the City fans are saving up for all the Major finals they expect to achieve this season?

League cup, FA Cup & Champions League trips all cost money to avoid you know.

Money can’t buy you love.

City struggled to sell their FA Cup allocation last year and even had to put them on general sale.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

it most definitely is not a friendly, itls the try first competitive match of the season and bragging rights plus trophy between the two top dogs of EPL.

The RFL community go into meltdown for same yet one reference across the massive soccer community.

27 minutes ago, mickhornet said:

77k for a meaningless game

tell the fans, players and coaches that!

Just now, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

it most definitely is not a friendly

It's a friendly.

Man City won the treble last year.

They also won the Community Shield.

13 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Discuss.

I'm not quite sure what you want to discuss, the empty seats or the "no mention of it anywhere"?

The empty seats are down to individual fans making choices which, I'm sure you'll agree, they are free to do. 

The talk of empty seats seems to be, pretty much, exclusively a RL obsession, sorry, observation. 

_20190805_131511.JPG

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

6 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

I'm not quite sure what you want to discuss, the empty seats or the "no mention of it anywhere"?

The empty seats are down to individual fans making choices which, I'm sure you'll agree, they are free to do. 

The talk of empty seats seems to be, pretty much, exclusively a RL obsession, sorry, observation. 

_20190805_131511.JPG

That isnt quite true. There is plenty of talk about empty seats in other sports, some of those other sports have fewer empty seats though and it is less of an issue.

If the 6Nations was played in front of tens of thousands of empty seats, they would talk about it.

Just as people talk about empty seats at their rivals grounds in football.

I think the truth is City don’t have a massive fan base at this stage.

We can see from the past when they got relegated and played in the lower divisions that they do have a large hardcore of fans which is a different equation.

The Charity Shield is probably more notable for performance and fitness than the result and both teams will be fairly happy with this.

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Money can’t buy you love

but it can buy you half an hour with electra and her zena princess warrior outfit (or even an hour if your under 45)

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, Mister Ting said:

It wasn't a friendly when Burnley last won it.?

Blimey.

I had to look that up.

Archived