thousands of empty seats at Wembley Charity Shield

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Blimey.

I had to look that up.

I giant of a club from such a small town. Can you tell me how Man City v Burnley was the 1973 charity shield?

Yesterday, I think City wore a replica of their 1973 shirt.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

7 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

I giant of a club from such a small town. Can you tell me how Man City v Burnley was the 1973 charity shield?

Yesterday, I think City wore a replica of their 1973 shirt.

Because neither the FA Cup winners or First Division champions chose to participate is what it says on wiki

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Because neither the FA Cup winners or First Division champions chose to participate is what it says on wiki

So, even in 1973, it was being treated as a friendly?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

11 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

So, even in 1973, it was being treated as a friendly?

Only because they were scared of playing Burnley.

"For the third consecutive year, neither the reigning Division One champions (Liverpool) nor the reigning FA Cup holders (Sunderland) chose to compete."

Third division champions Aston Villa played in the 1972 played in the shield against City. It could have been Halifax Town, they just missed out on promotion.

4 hours ago, Mister Ting said:

It wasn't a friendly when Burnley last won it.?

I had forgotten about the 70s one, I was thinking you meant when they won the league, 59/60 was it? I was around but more interested in mastering walking than attending football matches ?

I was around in 1959/60, but I didn't have a clue. I even went on a Burnley supporters coach to Nottingham Forest before I could walk.

I don't have the interest I once had.

Is the OP trying to assert that the attendance was some worrying disaster and that the soccer authorities are hushing it up? 77,00 is not bad for a friendly. But is it a friendly?

Well , Jose Mourinho always counted it as a trophy worth winning if he won, and a.meaningless friendly if he lost!

And probably so do the fans. More of a concern to us should.be SL attendances. I've always felt SL clubs who share a town/ city with big football clubs may have their gates fluctuating, to a small degree admittedly, depending on.how the football club is doing.

Did Huddersfield Giants lose eyeballs when Town were in the EPL?, will their gates increase now Town got relegated. Perhaps I'm wrong and there's no connection, but some folk are definitely fans of both codes, and it's expensive to follow both.

Huddersfield Town got 22,000 for Mondays Derby game, which is astonishing for a team that so sucked last season. When Hull and Wigan were flying high in the EPL did H.F.C, HKR or Warriors lose out , only.slightly maybe, I don't know. Interesting to see if Salford City effect the Salford Red Devils.

On 08/08/2019 at 12:35, HawkMan said:

Is the OP trying to assert that the attendance was some worrying disaster and that the soccer authorities are hushing it up? 77,00 is not bad for a friendly. But is it a friendly?

Well , Jose Mourinho always counted it as a trophy worth winning if he won, and a.meaningless friendly if he lost!

And probably so do the fans. More of a concern to us should.be SL attendances. I've always felt SL clubs who share a town/ city with big football clubs may have their gates fluctuating, to a small degree admittedly, depending on.how the football club is doing.

Did Huddersfield Giants lose eyeballs when Town were in the EPL?, will their gates increase now Town got relegated. Perhaps I'm wrong and there's no connection, but some folk are definitely fans of both codes, and it's expensive to follow both.

Huddersfield Town got 22,000 for Mondays Derby game, which is astonishing for a team that so sucked last season. When Hull and Wigan were flying high in the EPL did H.F.C, HKR or Warriors lose out , only.slightly maybe, I don't know. Interesting to see if Salford City effect the Salford Red Devils.

That's bang average for the Championship, especially when you consider Derby took 2k+ of them. What's happened to all the glory supporters? I bet they aren't Giants fans now...

Archived