Who going to be playing for us next season

toffeedog

6 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

Halifax’s cup run hasn’t helped them at all tbh but will get more money for semi final run than the top 5 in 2019 plus sponsorship and exposure on the bbc in the previous rounds plus papers etc.. instead we haven’t made past the round 5 in the last three years neither have we been close enough to the top 4.. but don’t worry as we’ve survived in the championship it’s best thing for batley 

They played two more games than us in the CC, we played two more than them in the 1895 Cup. So I don't buy into that argument that it hasn't helped there season, but the 1895 hasn't affected ours to a similar degree.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought my response answered your question.  As I said, apart from perhaps Toronto I would expect us to be competitive against all the other teams in the league.  The squad this season is equal to any of the other teams if they are properly coached and put together so that they are all in their best positions and work together as a unit. On that basis there would be no reason for us not to finish above any of them.

48 minutes ago, fredm said:

I thought my response answered your question.  As I said, apart from perhaps Toronto I would expect us to be competitive against all the other teams in the league.  The squad this season is equal to any of the other teams if they are properly coached and put together so that they are all in their best positions and work together as a unit. On that basis there would be no reason for us not to finish above any of them.

Fair point Fred, York's performance this season in terms of league standing, would also add weight to that argument too.

If I was a betting man though, I know where my money would have gone, in terms of predicting the top 6. In fairness though, I certainly wouldn't have had York amongst them either. 

Dogfather, I don't just look at it in terms of league position, I'm looking at it as much from a performance and competing point of view. We've had more towellings under this coach than for a long, long time.

1 hour ago, DOGFATHER said:

They played two more games than us in the CC, we played two more than them in the 1895 Cup. So I don't buy into that argument that it hasn't helped there season, but the 1895 hasn't affected ours to a similar degree.

Really the challenge cup vs Bradford and Saints would be More tougher mentally & physically plus no offence to our semi final I’m our players would of loved to have been at bolton vs saints etc 

hopefully we learn in 2020 if not we could be further behind the grind 

1 hour ago, phildog said:

Dogfather, I don't just look at it in terms of league position, I'm looking at it as much from a performance and competing point of view. We've had more towellings under this coach than for a long, long time.

I agree with you that we have had more towellings than we have for a long time. However both Toronto and Toulouse, for example, have thumped better teams than us this season. I would also say that the overall standard of the league is better than it has ever been too. We are also honors even, having won two and lost two games, against the side currently in second place.

The fact is, we have won 7 and been in contention (within 6 points) of winning another 5 games this season.

A team that is probably in the bottom 3rd of the league in terms of spending power, that has either won, or lost by less than 6 points in over half of the games we have played in so far, would surely be the very definition of a competitive side? Especially, if as you state above; you do not take in to account the league standings.

3 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

Really the challenge cup vs Bradford and Saints would be More tougher mentally & physically plus no offence to our semi final I’m our players would of loved to have been at bolton vs saints etc 

hopefully we learn in 2020 if not we could be further behind the grind 

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that. The Bradford game was undoubtedly a very tough game, but I'm not sure how you could argue it was any tougher than a midweek fixture away, at 2nd placed York in the quarter final.

No disrespect to Halifax, but they didn't have much hope against St. Helens, so they could play to enjoy the occasion with no pressure on them. If they had been beaten by 50, nobody would have really batted an eyelid. So mentally not as tough, physically it was probably tougher.

We on the other hand, had a lot to prove, given they had beaten us twice and a score to settle, and our only chance of success this season riding on our trip to Sheffield. 

Back on topic. I think that there are going to be a lot of unhappy players around at the end of this season. Across this division money is going to be a lot tighter than it has been for quite a while and some players will be looking at a pay cut or switching to the amateur game. Only one or two clubs will be splashig any cash (the usual teams) whilst the rest of us will be paring costs to the bone.

This will be a time for astute management by both the coaches and chairmen in order for any of us to build suitable squads for 2020.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

13 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that. The Bradford game was undoubtedly a very tough game, but I'm not sure how you could argue it was any tougher than a midweek fixture away, at 2nd placed York in the quarter final.

No disrespect to Halifax, but they didn't have much hope against St. Helens, so they could play to enjoy the occasion with no pressure on them. If they had been beaten by 50, nobody would have really batted an eyelid. So mentally not as tough, physically it was probably tougher.

We on the other hand, had a lot to prove, given they had beaten us twice and a score to settle, and our only chance of success this season riding on our trip to Sheffield. 

Mentally not as tough for 'fax? To keep up the physical exertion they put in throughout the whole 80mins needed an awful lot of focus and concentration. They will have been cream crackered as much mentally as they were physically at the end of that game.

On 10/08/2019 at 12:33, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Mentally not as tough for 'fax? To keep up the physical exertion they put in throughout the whole 80mins needed an awful lot of focus and concentration. They will have been cream crackered as much mentally as they were physically at the end of that game.

I'm not saying it was mentally easy for Fax, but I know which game mentally I'd have preferred to play in. We had so much riding on our game, it was our only hope of any success this season riding on it. It was also a game we had a good chance of and could be expected to win. Halifax on the other hand didn't have anything like the same weight of expectation in their game, as stated above, if they had been thrashed, nobody would have been shocked. 

We've really gone off topic! Who ARE we going to have next season, in fact who ARE we having for these last few games? We got Walker in for a couple of games, pace to spare, then boom, gone, injured again? Tomlinson was our go to man covering wing, now he's not in the running, yet we've brought in young Jack as a SL grade centre and stuck him on the wing. JC has clearly gone out of favour, can we persuade Giants and Leeds to leave Sam (what's this playing him in the 2nd row all about) and Jack with us? Can we get a prop in who can actually bust a tackle, will Wardy be off (Fax rumour)? Lots of questions everybody with different answers!

27 minutes ago, phildog said:

We've really gone off topic! Who ARE we going to have next season, in fact who ARE we having for these last few games? We got Walker in for a couple of games, pace to spare, then boom, gone, injured again? Tomlinson was our go to man covering wing, now he's not in the running, yet we've brought in young Jack as a SL grade centre and stuck him on the wing. JC has clearly gone out of favour, can we persuade Giants and Leeds to leave Sam (what's this playing him in the 2nd row all about) and Jack with us? Can we get a prop in who can actually bust a tackle, will Wardy be off (Fax rumour)? Lots of questions everybody with different answers!

JC is injured

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

A few thoughts are forming in my head, given team selection this last 2 weeks; one of which is as Scotty is signed on already  is the Jouffret to fullback a sign that Dom and Danny are being put together as next year's halves? 

Thank god dewsbury blew it or we could.have been hoping and praying barrow kept.losing. the team selection was baffling again louie was un easy under the highball and never took the line on.once . Were safe now time for diskin to.go if he stays we will be relegated next year 

We need to sign some players that show some urgency and don't take 20 minutes to get up off the floor when they are tackled. We will never get on a roll, or be threatening on attack whilst we are laying down and have a rest ever time we have been tackled. Dewsbury showed far more urgency than us in this department in the last 20 minutes, and could have, and probably should have won the game.

If it is not too much to ask, could we also sign some that can pass and catch a rugby ball for next season.

The players I'd like to keep next season are:-

Dickinson, Ward, Brown Gledhill, Manning, Downs, Brearley, Reittie, Walker, Scott and Brambani (if he plays like he did yesterday). Also Broadbent on a season long loan. 

The rest are not good enough and need replacing. The problem is, can we afford to bring in players that are better than those we already have?

Is this a joke how can our board give this man a new contract can they not see they damage season on season he his doing to our club. Well kev when he gets us relegated next year well done you did us proud by sticking by the worst coach since peter Regan . I'll be fev game and if it's TRUE could be my last till he leaves not paying to watch the dross  he calls rugby or you entertainment as its neither wirth the journey I travel or the price I pay sorry hope you read this kev but I'm being honest with you 

24 minutes ago, silverback said:

well that should bring the fans rolling in for 2020.kinda makes sense now as to why so many players aint signed on the dotted line. 1 outa 10 for ambition.:kolobok_read:

It’s only paper talk tho , not fact

IMG_0583.JPG

Dalton Grant would be OK, and a punt on the Rochdale lad. The rest I'm a bit underwhelmed tbh, but I get used to this feeling being a Batley fan n all

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

35 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

Dalton Grant would be OK, and a punt on the Rochdale lad. The rest I'm a bit underwhelmed tbh, but I get used to this feeling being a Batley fan n all

Will Sharp intercepted uphill and couldn't get to half way line. Get a grip please. 

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

2 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

<<<THIS>>>

I wouldn't get too worked up just yet.

I think most of the 24 players or so,  in next seasons squad are already known/agreed, as is the coach I suspect..

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Just now, Piggy's mate said:

I think most of the 24 players or so,  in next seasons squad are already known/agreed, as is the coach I suspect..

I think so too, we have signed most of the players we needed to keep. No doubt the club will drip feed the new signings and re-signings over the course of the end of this season and the pre-season.

Archived