Who going to be playing for us next season

toffeedog

8 hours ago, Batley Bob said:

And today's news is Diskin is in 

Batley Bulldogs....R.I.P.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DF, have we signed most of who we need to keep? We don't have a cracking prop on our books like Rowe any more, none of Gledhill, Lillycrop, Everett or Dickinson has gone busting through, there's only Wardy who steams in, and I guess from previous rumour that has been noticed elsewhere. We're short of pack leadership. One of two have given their ideas on a retained list, so here's mine; Scott, Walker, Wood if poss But as a centre not a 2nd rower, Galbraith, JC, Yates, Dom, Leak, Downs, Brierley, Brown, Ward if only, Tiara, Tomlinson, Brev if the body says yes, Dickinson maybe, Butterworth on a year loan, Broadbent on a year loan but not onnthe wing. Don't think Bienek has broken any pots with us in his effort to get back into SL, Everett has done little, a few of the remaining ones are getting over the hill and too injury-prone now. New blood required, don't think Huby is our man and clearly if Diskin's doing the recruiting then we've clearly been shafted on that front.

He will clear out anyone decent and put in dross if true and he in charge fev will be my last home game I'm afraid not driving 35 minutes and paying 20 pounds and driving 40 minutes maybe more if Wildcats are at home to watch the dross he puts out sorry cant stand his arrogance and his interviews are demomarolising if kev cant see this well I give up I'm having season off might take some away games in but no home games I'm afraid and people I sit with have said the same .

2 hours ago, phildog said:

DF, have we signed most of who we need to keep? We don't have a cracking prop on our books like Rowe any more, none of Gledhill, Lillycrop, Everett or Dickinson has gone busting through, there's only Wardy who steams in, and I guess from previous rumour that has been noticed elsewhere. We're short of pack leadership. One of two have given their ideas on a retained list, so here's mine; Scott, Walker, Wood if poss But as a centre not a 2nd rower, Galbraith, JC, Yates, Dom, Leak, Downs, Brierley, Brown, Ward if only, Tiara, Tomlinson, Brev if the body says yes, Dickinson maybe, Butterworth on a year loan, Broadbent on a year loan but not onnthe wing. Don't think Bienek has broken any pots with us in his effort to get back into SL, Everett has done little, a few of the remaining ones are getting over the hill and too injury-prone now. New blood required, don't think Huby is our man and clearly if Diskin's doing the recruiting then we've clearly been shafted on that front.

Some good points PD, which bring more questions. Are these a bad set of forwards, or forwards who are not coached to believe in their own abilities and strength, or coached in the skills to make tackle bursting breaks, which have not been seen at the Mount for the past couple of seasons. Even Alex Rowe's impact on games began to falter under Diskin.

It would appear that Diskin has been retained, looking at his 'recruitment comments' in certain publications today, and also has an idea on budget. I don't think his comments (probably intended to talk himself up prior to any announcement about his future at the Mount) will do anything other than to persuade his critics that he has failed to achieve any semblance of success in his 3 years at our club, and is looking for headlines to cling onto a position that in the majority of Clubs iwould have been untenable.

Totally disillusioned. With my hometown club. Something you used to cherish, big up and support.

Now it's the awkward and Boring family member you try to avoid. The mate you feel obliged to say how do to but can't stand in reality or neighbour you hope to miss their glance!

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

3 hours ago, phildog said:

Apologies, I meant I would be surprised if we haven't signed up most of the more hard to replace players already. Most of the backline is fairly replaceable, I'd have thought, even with our budget. 

Could you tell me of one player Diskin has brought in, that has been an abject failure?

I'm not saying they have all been world beaters, but none so far have been poor signings.

2 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

Apologies, I meant I would be surprised if we haven't signed up most of the more hard to replace players already. Most of the backline is fairly replaceable, I'd have thought, even with our budget. 

Could you tell me of one player Diskin has brought in, that has been an abject failure?

I'm not saying they have all been world beaters, but none so far have been poor signings.

......just underachieved for their potential, and under coached.

4 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

I don’t think anyone is poor but potential and ability wise they’ve underachieved and haven’t reach potential at all..

yesterday seemed like a pre season match due... players are putting themselves in the shop window for new deals 2020 we need to either improve or we will be left further behind 

24 minutes ago, Bulldog Days said:

Fev have obviously seen something in Jouffret, with the additional incentive of an 'in' to Leeds Rhinos.

I'd have liked to have kept Jouffret, but given the wages and cost of accommodation etc. He hasn't set the world alight imo. He hasn't really taken the line on with any regularity since we played Swinton at home. His best attribute is his pace and taking the line on. How often has he used it to draw a man and put a player through the gap this season?

He has won us a few games due to his pace, York away in the cup, fax at home with that tackle from the interception, don't get me wrong, he is an asset. But is he worth what we must be paying him?

9 hours ago, Bulldog Days said:

......just underachieved for their potential, and under coached.

I don't mean to be confrontational here, but was Down's howler of a pass to Yates down to poor coaching in your opinion? 

How about Galbraith, the last tackle we had with the ball, first in the set of 6, 20 seconds left of the game, we are winning by 6 points and he cannot stuff the ball up his shirt and keep hold of it. Diskin's fault again?

Not trying to ptb quickly and showing no urgency to regain our feet after being tackled, is this down to the coach?

Should players over the age of 12 need to be told these basics of the game?

8 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

I don't mean to be confrontational here, but was Down's howler of a pass to Yates down to poor coaching in your opinion? 

How about Galbraith, the last tackle we had with the ball, first in the set of 6, 20 seconds left of the game, we are winning by 6 points and he cannot stuff the ball up his shirt and keep hold of the ball. Diskin's fault again?

Not trying to ptb quickly and showing no urgency to regain our feet after being tackled, is this down to the coach?

Should players over the age of 12 need to be told these basics of the game?

Fair point DF, and something I've looked at over past 3 seasons with all players involved in the squad.

It is similar to being bullied at work - the basic skill sets and common sense go out of the window when fear and self doubt come in. It does appear that fear and a blame culture exist under Diskin, which is why  good players are making basic errors and not developing confidence  (and a  positive approach to games,) Under these circumstances it is very hard to develop a winning mentality. We have some good young players with plenty of potential - these need to be coached and developed in the right way ( as a certain Alex Walmsley was at the Mount).

2 minutes ago, Bulldog Days said:

Fair point DF, and something I've looked at over past 3 seasons with all players involved in the squad.

It is similar to being bullied at work - the basic skill sets and common sense go out of the window when fear and self doubt come in. It does appear that fear and a blame culture exist under Diskin, which is why  good players are making basic errors and not developing confidence  (and a  positive approach to games,) Under these circumstances it is very hard to develop a winning mentality. We have some good young players with plenty of potential - these need to be coached and developed in the right way ( as a certain Alex Walmsley was at the Mount).

You may be right, it is hard to perform at your best under constant criticism. Howevet, as a coach or manager, I'm not sure you can really praise players when you have witnessed them playing like they have? It would make him look like he is not living in the real world.

Did you see the Widnes v Toulouse game on Saturday? That was like watching us and Dewsbury, and having read the report in league express the Sheffield v Halifax game was also very similar, none of the teams were able to hold the ball. That is almost half the division unable to do the basics, players throwing either suicide or hospital passes, taking wrong options, passing to a man in a worse position than the guy with the ball.

We have a decent squad on paper, but so do the other 5 teams and all of them suffered with the same foibles. It has been the same in quite a few SL games too. I'd criticise Diskin if we were still trying to play with this total football approach every week. Against Sheffield in the 1895,  we obviously tried to play to a basic 5 drives and a kick game plan, we couldn't even do that. It was another mistake ridden game by us. Even Scotty, probably the most defensive e and solid players in the league made two shocking errors that led to tries.

41 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Just heard we are looking at him. Saw Sharp mentioned for you lot, rumours seem to be that he is Fev bound but if you did sign him he would be really good for you.

Nah, we've got better in Rettie and JC and the new lad Walker. I think Fax, Rams & us need to turnover quite a few of our players if we are going to be competitive next season

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

16 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

How do you lot rate Brierley?

Why?? Judging by his effort with the interception at ours v Fax he seemed to have lost a lot of pace. Jouffret threw the pass and caught him within 20m. As said Reittie and Galbraith played better when on wings.  

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

6 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

You may be right, it is hard to perform at your best under constant criticism. Howevet, as a coach or manager, I'm not sure you can really praise players when you have witnessed them playing like they have? It would make him look like he is not living in the real world.

Did you see the Widnes v Toulouse game on Saturday? That was like watching us and Dewsbury, and having read the report in league express the Sheffield v Halifax game was also very similar, none of the teams were able to hold the ball. That is almost half the division unable to do the basics, players throwing either suicide or hospital passes, taking wrong options, passing to a man in a worse position than the guy with the ball.

We have a decent squad on paper, but so do the other 5 teams and all of them suffered with the same foibles. It has been the same in quite a few SL games too. I'd criticise Diskin if we were still trying to play with this total football approach every week. Against Sheffield in the 1895,  we obviously tried to play to a basic 5 drives and a kick game plan, we couldn't even do that. It was another mistake ridden game by us. Even Scotty, probably the most defensive e and solid players in the league made two shocking errors that led to tries.

I can't speak for the other teams DF - the ones you mention are more successful than ourselves - I am concerned about Batley Bulldogs, who over 3 Seasons have been underperforming with players who on paper  have been of reasonable quality, with some good young players ripe for development.

The stats speak for themselves under Diskin, and  it would appear that after having turned down/been rejected for the Salford Assistant, has decided to continue with us, all subject to official confirmation. I believe he is still struggling in a part time environment, and certainly in 3 years has not improved our playing standards. This situation needs sorting, and fast, to reverse the decline, as many concerned supporters are waiting with baited breath.

Firstly it seems that Diskin was asked to apply for the Salford job but he decided against submitting an application. 

As far as the alleged signings I cannot believe we are interested in Huby which would be a lot of money badly spent, Sharp experienced player but getting to his sell by date. Abrahams might be worth a chance for his ability to cover various positions, but forget about full back as we already have that covered with Scott.

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

What happened to Jason Walton?

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Archived