Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
toffeedog

Who going to be playing for us next season

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

What happened to Jason Walton?

got injured playing for FEV august 2018 hasn't played since then

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bulldog Days said:

I can't speak for the other teams DF - the ones you mention are more successful than ourselves - I am concerned about Batley Bulldogs, who over 3 Seasons have been underperforming with players who on paper  have been of reasonable quality, with some good young players ripe for development.

The stats speak for themselves under Diskin, and  it would appear that after having turned down/been rejected for the Salford Assistant, has decided to continue with us, all subject to official confirmation. I believe he is still struggling in a part time environment, and certainly in 3 years has not improved our playing standards. This situation needs sorting, and fast, to reverse the decline, as many concerned supporters are waiting with baited breath.

I could be looking at the situation in the wrong light, but I would have said the 7 players we really needed to keep hold of for next season were:-

Brown, Manning, Downs, Scott, Jouffret, Ward and Dickinson.

I hear we are negotiating with the last two and we have signed 4 out of the first 5 listed.

I keep reading post from fans supposedly "in the know", about what a shocking coach Diskin is, how arrogant he is, and how all the players will be leaving at the end of the season because he is not a good motivator and is bad mouthing them in the press on radio etc. However, if any of this was true and the coach is as bad as many seem to think he is, why would Brown, Manning, Downs and Scott have re-signed for him?

Batley are not a club that pays out big money, so we are not going to compete with most clubs from a financial point of view. I would be amazed if these players have not had wealthier clubs sniffing around them given their proven abilities. It just doesn't add up that they would stay, if the coach was poor and they did not believe in him. After all, losing pay is not a very attractive proposition for most sportsman, especially at a club like ours I would have thought.

 

Edited by DOGFATHER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On these anonymous forums you can almost say what you like and if you don't know then why not make it up? I can only judge the results and the performance, I have no axe to grind with the coach or any of the players, but I haven't enjoyed our performances for sometime and at the end of the day the coach ultimately takes responsibility for this. 

To offset my malaise I've been working my way through my extensive BISSA match DVDs, I've just watched our win away at Leigh on route to the Grand final and watched Gareth Moore's comments on winning the MOM and his comments regarding how close the team is as a group...

 

Happy days

  • Like 3

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

What happened to Jason Walton?

Not sure for definite but I heard his knee was still an issue. 


WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a while since the rumour mill got into overdrive about Wardy,  think we'd have to give him a contract good enough to make up forvtge number of losing pay games. Will Sharp must be off the same vintage of Retts and JC so it's youth we want to be replacing them when the time comes. Young Walker did great in his 2 or 3 outings, great pace, so another like him would he handy. Huby? No, pointless letting Alex Rowe leave ( who could have performed for us this season)  yet bringing in a bloke a year older. This though COULD be sorted out quite easily by the board releasing a few names who HAVE signed, surely they're still not discussing contracts with 3 games left? Previously at this stage of a season we'd already have known a dozen or more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huby and sharp would be no better than nick fozzard or ned catic for Dewsbury! The amount of strapping and pain killing injections would cost same as match appearance money!

First position to cover is hooker. 8 game ban man George flan anyone?


'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, toffeedog said:

Did anyone notice last season when both harrison and day left neither had anything to say about diskin praised Lear but not diskin . 

They slated Macbeth though.

  • Haha 3

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, phildog said:

It's a while since the rumour mill got into overdrive about Wardy,  think we'd have to give him a contract good enough to make up forvtge number of losing pay games. Will Sharp must be off the same vintage of Retts and JC so it's youth we want to be replacing them when the time comes. Young Walker did great in his 2 or 3 outings, great pace, so another like him would he handy. Huby? No, pointless letting Alex Rowe leave ( who could have performed for us this season)  yet bringing in a bloke a year older. This though COULD be sorted out quite easily by the board releasing a few names who HAVE signed, surely they're still not discussing contracts with 3 games left? Previously at this stage of a season we'd already have known a dozen or more.

Players and, especially, agents hang on before signing up at this time of year in the hope of getting more money. In addition it was only last week that the clubs and the RFL reached agreement on the shape of performance distribution for 2020. Most clubs still don't really know what their budget will be for the next season - okay if you have a money man with deep pockets but most of us don't.


Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

I could be looking at the situation in the wrong light, but I would have said the 7 players we really needed to keep hold of for next season were:-

Brown, Manning, Downs, Scott, Jouffret, Ward and Dickinson.

I hear we are negotiating with the last two and we have signed 4 out of the first 5 listed.

I keep reading post from fans supposedly "in the know", about what a shocking coach Diskin is, how arrogant he is, and how all the players will be leaving at the end of the season because he is not a good motivator and is bad mouthing them in the press on radio etc. However, if any of this was true and the coach is as bad as many seem to think he is, why would Brown, Manning, Downs and Scott have re-signed for him?

Batley are not a club that pays out big money, so we are not going to compete with most clubs from a financial point of view. I would be amazed if these players have not had wealthier clubs sniffing around them given their proven abilities. It just doesn't add up that they would stay, if the coach was poor and they did not believe in him. After all, losing pay is not a very attractive proposition for most sportsman, especially at a club like ours I would have thought.

 

I respect your viewpoint DF, however  the 4 players you quote may have other motivating factors other than Diskin - maybe they like what the Club stands for, which is far bigger than any individual Coach.

My point is focused on the quality of coaching, which is not up to a top 6 Championship Club standard, where we should be with the players. In our squad. We took a gamble on Diskin (I suspect for  reasons of economy) which has not paid off over a fair period of 3 years, especially when you consider where we were at the time of his appointment.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

On these anonymous forums you can almost say what you like and if you don't know then why not make it up? I can only judge the results and the performance, I have no axe to grind with the coach or any of the players, but I haven't enjoyed our performances for sometime and at the end of the day the coach ultimately takes responsibility for this. 

To offset my malaise I've been working my way through my extensive BISSA match DVDs, I've just watched our win away at Leigh on route to the Grand final and watched Gareth Moore's comments on winning the MOM and his comments regarding how close the team is as a group...

 

Happy days

You mean the days when we played the boring 5 drives and a kick type of football, that was forcing so many fans to stop away because it wasn't exciting to watch? 😄😄😄😄😄😄

Joking apart, you are correct, Diskin is the guy in charge and his job is to win matches ultimately. secondly to entertain the fans with the type of football we play. 

Just like the players though, there is no point releasing them until you have somebody better to replace them.

I see Scott Naylor has resigned as Oldham coach, he has done okay on a minute budget with them.

Edited by DOGFATHER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

You mean the days when we played the boring 5 drives and a kick type of football, that was forcing so many fans to stop away because it wasn't exciting to watch? 😄😄😄😄😄😄

Joking apart, you are correct, Diskin is the guy in charge and his job is to win matches ultimately. secondly to entertain the fans with the type of football we play. 

Just like the players though, there is no point releasing them until you have somebody better to replace them.

I see Scott Naylor has resigned as Oldham coach, he has done okay on a minute budget with them.

Naylor is off back to Salford in some capacity I heard last week but we shall see 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9'Oller...no.9 Archie Bruce fetch him in. Wasn't there a handy forward a mate of his from Moor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

Naylor is off back to Salford in some capacity I heard last week but we shall see 

Pity really, his style of football is not the most exciting to watch, as his teams tend to play to a very rigid structure but it is effective. It would be interesting to see how he went with a competitive budget in the CH.

Edited by DOGFATHER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A new coach


'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would like to know opinions of those who feel they can't criticise or those who won't get off the fence.

Imagine if we go above fax. Egg on faces or lucky escpae


'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, 9' oller said:

Would like to know opinions of those who feel they can't criticise or those who won't get off the fence.

Imagine if we go above fax. Egg on faces or lucky escpae

I would criticise, if I felt it was warranted. Diskin to me is a bit like the players, he is not perfect and has flaws, but if he was the finished article he wouldn't be here, he would be coaching in SL. The problem is, he has followed on from 2 SL caliber coaches and has been compared to them during his entire tenure. It is a bit like comparing Gledhill to Walmsley, if you did the same sort of like for like comparison you would be disappointed by Gledhill, even though he is a decent CH player.  

Before the season started, I expected us to finish 8th at best, if everything went for us, but I thought we would probably finish 9th. It had nothing to do with the standard of coaching, or the quality of the lads we had brought in, it was to do with the standard of the opposition. I think we have a good team on paper, but I think there are 6 or 7 teams in the division with better squads than us, and a couple about on a par.

Anyway back on topic:-

I'd like to see us sign Deon Cross (good step and a bit of pace) and the 2 PNG lads from Barrow, Puara ( a running hooker with a bit of pace) and Amean (SP?) and Matty Ashton at Rochdale 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

I would criticise, if I felt it was warranted. Diskin to me is a bit like the players, he is not perfect and has flaws, but if he was the finished article he wouldn't be here, he would be coaching in SL. The problem is, he has followed on from 2 SL caliber coaches and has been compared to them during his entire tenure. It is a bit like comparing Gledhill to Walmsley, if you did the same sort of like for like comparison you would be disappointed by Gledhill, even though he is a decent CH player.  

Before the season started, I expected us to finish 8th at best, if everything went for us, but I thought we would probably finish 9th. It had nothing to do with the standard of coaching, or the quality of the lads we had brought in, it was to do with the standard of the opposition. I think we have a good team on paper, but I think there are 6 or 7 teams in the division with better squads than us, and a couple about on a par.

Anyway back on topic:-

I'd like to see us sign Deon Cross (good step and a bit of pace) and the 2 PNG lads from Barrow, Puara ( a running hooker with a bit of pace) and Amean (SP?) and Matty Ashton at Rochdale 

Ashton has just signed for Warrington from swinton 

I doubt we will any of the players you’ve mentioned 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

I would criticise, if I felt it was warranted. Diskin to me is a bit like the players, he is not perfect and has flaws, but if he was the finished article he wouldn't be here, he would be coaching in SL. The problem is, he has followed on from 2 SL caliber coaches and has been compared to them during his entire tenure. It is a bit like comparing Gledhill to Walmsley, if you did the same sort of like for like comparison you would be disappointed by Gledhill, even though he is a decent CH player.  

Before the season started, I expected us to finish 8th at best, if everything went for us, but I thought we would probably finish 9th. It had nothing to do with the standard of coaching, or the quality of the lads we had brought in, it was to do with the standard of the opposition. I think we have a good team on paper, but I think there are 6 or 7 teams in the division with better squads than us, and a couple about on a par.

Anyway back on topic:-

I'd like to see us sign Deon Cross (good step and a bit of pace) and the 2 PNG lads from Barrow, Puara ( a running hooker with a bit of pace) and Amean (SP?) and Matty Ashton at Rochdale 

he is 💩 as a coach as simple as that

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Matts natural tenure has expired it hasn't worked. (3 yr generous anyway) Rumours of disharmony in dressing room and 100's unhappy species floating away.

I get the "be realistic" angle of we are never gonna be rewarded with "qualifiers" money and exposure again. Nor should we have a god given right to expect to be in top half of league.

I'm not even concerned with our lack of ambition or just exist to starve off relegation as we aren't alone amongst many clubs predicament feasting on scraps.

The club is starting to feel like an old boys club. Either with us and keep schtum or walk away you won't be missed. How much patience do bissa supporters clubs and various other volunteers need to keep before the cracks become unrepairable

  • Like 3

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...