Toronto away support

21 hours ago, dkw said:

Leigh fans are hilarious when literally anything about Toronto is posted ?

Just perhaps, because we personally know a lot of local Leigh people who have represented the Wolfpack in some capacity be it coaching, playing or backroom and we have the opportunity to speak to them we may just be privvy to information that is the figment of the imaginations of some on here, but carry on with your crusade of hating and trying to stir anything that has any connection with the club or the town, can you not let it go, you really are tiresome.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Just perhaps, because we personally know a lot of local Leigh people who have represented the Wolfpack in some capacity be it coaching, playing or backroom and we have the opportunity to speak to them we may just be privvy to information that is the figment of the imaginations of some on here, but carry on with your crusade of hating and trying to stir anything that has any connection with the club or the town, can you not let it go, you really are tiresome.

Oh aye, what's this information then?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Do you know any Hull players or officials personally, if so would you divulge anything that is spoken maybe in confidence or otherwise, grow up.

I do and I wouldn't no.

Neither would I go online slagging off a rival club without backing it up but continuously suggesting that I know.

Reason bring it would make me look incredibly bitter and petty.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

Why would you assume they are Canadians?

49 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I think UK based Canadians are more likely to support TWP than English based RL fans who will already support teams. 

It doesn't actually matter. That they've engaged new people to the sport to support their team is fantastic. Especially when we're seeing stagnation in a lot of other teams' crowds.

If that's expat Canadians, Great!

If its anyone else, also great!

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Because why would English people with no interest in RL suddenly start going to TWP away games?

Maybe the same reason thousands of Canadians ‘suddenly’ started going to TWP home games. Could be fun??

Why does anybody who has previously had no interest in a sport start going. Or do you have to serve some sort of weird apprenticeship before you are allowed through the turnstiles?

5 minutes ago, burnleywelsh said:

Maybe the same reason thousands of Canadians ‘suddenly’ started going to TWP home games. Could be fun??

Why does anybody who has previously had no interest in a sport start going. Or do you have to serve some sort of weird apprenticeship before you are allowed through the turnstiles?

No idea what you’re on about with the apprenticeship comment but if you think there are going to be 1,000s of English people going to Wolfpack away games in future as fans of the club then great (I hope you’re right) but I can’t see it myself. 

3 hours ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

wouldn't it be great if you could sign up to join a u.k based Twp fan club? If you're team aren't playing that weekend then the members of the fan club all go and watch toronto,it would contribute money to the home teams,swell the crowds,make new friends from all over the rugby community and you get to watch rugby league,I'd be well up for it.

There is a Toronto Wolfpack fans in the UK Facebook group.

There are 82 000 Canadians in the UK. If we could get 1% of them a big ask, to away games they'd have a decent following...most of them are Down South but hey.

I couldn't care less whether those 198 people were people from Canada, Expat Canadians or people from Bradford with TWP shirts on. The fact is they were there and created a great atmosphere!

The more pointed question is why were there twice as many Toronto supporters at Odsal than away supporters when we play Batley or Dewsbury, which are literally 15 minutes drive down the road?

8 hours ago, SL17 said:

What would you like me to say?

Well starting from a point called a 'truth' would be great...the fact is that there was TWP away support for the game....that is a basic tenent.

3 hours ago, fighting irish said:

What about people who had never even heard of rugby league until Toronto made them aware of it?

I suppose you are referring to Parky here fighting irish , that pretending Hunslet fan.

2 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Can you envisage a future where hundreds or thousands of fans turn up to support Toronto who were not Canadians and had never supported amy other rugby league club before?

Eh, NFL seems to be managing exactly that over here. 

On the more general point, on the three occasions TWP have played at New River there have been hundreds of ex pat Canadians there (most U.K. based Canadians live in London). 

8 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

Eh, NFL seems to be managing exactly that over here. 

On the more general point, on the three occasions TWP have played at New River there have been hundreds of ex pat Canadians there (most U.K. based Canadians live in London). 

That's precisely the point I was trying to make. Some people on here just can't comprehend that Toronto could create a fanbase in a foreign country, made up of people who are completely new to the sport. This is the power of marketing and the benefit of ''eyeballs'' but the luddites just don't get it, which is obvious from the assumptions they make that Toronto's supporters in this country must be ex-pat Canadians.

16 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Not disputing that. The fact some people think they haved travelled from Toronto, I find amusing.

Calling the away support "travelling support" is common parlance in all sports for those not wanting to be utterly obstinate.

2 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I do and I wouldn't no.

Neither would I go online slagging off a rival club without backing it up but continuously suggesting that I know.

Reason bring it would make me look incredibly bitter and petty.

You are getting me mixed up with someone who is slagging TWP I take it that is who you are referring to, please refer me to where I have slagged them, I have been privvy to both positive and negative statements about the Wolfpack from those at the pointy end to which I have not said a word on these pages, yes I have my reservations of the concept re the North American excersise to which I have expressed my views on a number of occasions, if I am accused of not being in favour of what I believe people refer to as expansion then I stand guilty, but I have never slagged the club or anyone connected with it.

4 hours ago, fighting irish said:

What about people who had never even heard of rugby league until Toronto made them aware of it?

Not many in England in reality , most aware if not really interested 

This thread really is something else. Some people are just determined to death ride Toronto no matter what, and they won't be happy until they see the club disappear. So much for a welcoming, friendly sport.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

32 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Not disputing that. The fact some people think they have travelled from Toronto, I find amusing.

Nobody has suggested that any more than a few might have travelled from Canada , if they are wearing a Toronto cap/shirt/scarf , they are Toronto fans , if they are cheering on Toronto , they are Toronto fans ( on that day ) 

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Not many in England in reality , most aware if not really interested 

i'm sure you are right, i'm just speculating about the future and reminding people that things are not static, but changing daily.

They can either change up or change down. Toronto are trying to change things up.

I believe it is possible in this day and age, (just as clubs like man united have far eastern fan clubs) that a properly promoted club can build a fanbase in a foreign country.

9 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Yes, but the emphasis being on where they have travelled from. If you came back at me and said they had neutral support attending, I'd agree.

I don't get this 'blood and soil' approach to support. If they're there, wearing TWP gear, supporting the TWP team, how can you consider them neutrals?

4 minutes ago, SL17 said:

I just wanted to clarify they haven't travelled from Canada. Which is the way this thread started off.

Its not at all how this thread started and your first comment on it was that they were "more freebies"

e

4 minutes ago, SL17 said:

I just wanted to clarify they haven't travelled from Canada. Which is the way this thread started off.

Some would have come from Canada...some not.   Who cares?...what difference does it make?  Lots of fans for other teams come out to the Toronto games....not all have flown over just for the game.  Talk about silliness.

The great divide shows itself yet again.

Well what a jolly thread.  Oh how we always find a way...  the 200 or so TWP fans at Odsal on Sunday is something to be cheered.  They supported their team well, waved their flags, and watched a good game.  I certainly heard a number of Canadian accents, and the lady that organised all this has done a brilliant job.  Yet once again we find a way to pick fault where there is none, not just on here, but by RL journalists.  My shoulders literally sank when I listened to this week's Forty-20 podcast .

To open the programme there was a very long discussion regarding the state of RL being the 'family game' in light of the hooliganism displayed by Warrington and Catalan fans over the weekend.  This expanded to encompass the racist fans of Fev, Wakefield and Hull and the homophobic ones at Cas.  A depressing but totally necessary topical conversation that left the panel and the listener quite flat.

Then a question was asked...'is there any positive RL news this week?' .

To which Phil Caplan quickly replied both emphatically and sincerely 'Yes! There were 200 TWP fans at Odsal yesterday and it was a great game'.  Surely the cue for a bit of talk around TWP and their upward trajectory?  Sadly not.  No sooner had the words of hope and positivity left Phil Caplan's lips the Trinity Troll immediately pipes up... 'Yeah, but what about George Flanagan?'  And yes, you've guessed it, the conversation leaves TWP and focuses on the negative, and totally unacceptable, foul play from Flanagan (from Bradford).  Opportunity lost.  Mission accomplished RSW.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

Archived