Toronto away support

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Konkrete said:

Well what a jolly thread.  Oh how we always find a way... 

Thankfully its not "We", its one or 2 imbeciles who are hilariously bitter and twisted that a new club is having much more success than there own.

26 minutes ago, Konkrete said:

Well what a jolly thread.  Oh how we always find a way...  the 200 or so TWP fans at Odsal on Sunday is something to be cheered.  They supported their team well, waved their flags, and watched a good game.  I certainly heard a number of Canadian accents, and the lady that organised all this has done a brilliant job.  Yet once again we find a way to pick fault where there is none, not just on here, but by RL journalists.  My shoulders literally sank when I listened to this week's Forty-20 podcast .

To open the programme there was a very long discussion regarding the state of RL being the 'family game' in light of the hooliganism displayed by Warrington and Catalan fans over the weekend.  This expanded to encompass the racist fans of Fev, Wakefield and Hull and the homophobic ones at Cas.  A depressing but totally necessary topical conversation that left the panel and the listener quite flat.

Then a question was asked...'is there any positive RL news this week?' .

To which Phil Caplan quickly replied both emphatically and sincerely 'Yes! There were 200 TWP fans at Odsal yesterday and it was a great game'.  Surely the cue for a bit of talk around TWP and their upward trajectory?  Sadly not.  No sooner had the words of hope and positivity left Phil Caplan's lips the Trinity Troll immediately pipes up... 'Yeah, but what about George Flanagan?'  And yes, you've guessed it, the conversation leaves TWP and focuses on the negative, and totally unacceptable, foul play from Flanagan (from Bradford).  Opportunity lost.  Mission accomplished RSW.

This is the corner which must be turned...not just for Toronto or Bradford or some other club...for all of RL.   This is why Toronto has such great potential for the entire game....the high viewing figures from Australia show that the interest in TWP can act as a vechile for an entire new way of approaching the game....this is the future.

25 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Why would a Leigh fan be bitter and twisted? Which club have supported TWP the most? You should all be thanking Derek and the Leigh Club for the existence of TWP.

I would love to thank him personally...when is he coming over to claim his free 5 knuckle sandwich?

14 hours ago, Raumati Rugby said:

Personaly I think Toronto building a fanbase in the heartlands is great. Especially if it prevents us losing fans who've "given up" on their side for whatever reason (insolvency, relegation etc) and long may it continue.

As a London fan, we have a small nucleus of northern based fans who we'd meet regularly and I believe Catalan are many fans "2nd team".......I think it's great 

To be honest mate I'd suspect that a good number of the 199 (though I thought it might have been more than that) were probably family and friends of the players.  As said above, it's all good for the game, so who really cares where they came from?

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

5 hours ago, nadera78 said:

This thread really is something else. Some people are just determined to death ride Toronto no matter what, and they won't be happy until they see the club disappear. So much for a welcoming, friendly sport.

When you're busy turning back the clock to £ s d it's a signal no one's welcome.

Friendly sport ?  Mmmmmmmmmm!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Sandy S posted a great photo montage of the TWP fans at the game on Twitter a day ago. If anyone has any doubts about them - have a look at that. 

Toronto are great for the sport. 

5 hours ago, SL17 said:

Let me just point out the topic heading..

"Toronto away support"

Toronto were playing away from home. They had nearly 200 supporters at the game. No matter how people try to get around it, try to spin it or lie about it, that is "Toronto away support".

The topic heading is valid, we watched the game on TV and that was one of the things my wife and myself commented, that they had a lot of people supporting them for this particular game.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

8 minutes ago, Padge said:

Toronto were playing away from home. They had nearly 200 supporters at the game. No matter how people try to get around it, try to spin it or lie about it, that is "Toronto away support".

The topic heading is valid, we watched the game on TV and that was one of the things my wife and myself commented, that they had a lot of people supporting them for this particular game.

Anyone purporting to be a TWP fan should be quizzed on things like who the 1976 Regal Trophy finalists were and what Halifax’s old ground was called - anything less than 100% and they’re not allowed in. 

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Anyone purporting to be a TWP fan should be quizzed on things like who the 1976 Regal Trophy finalists were and what Halifax’s old ground was called - anything less than 100% and they’re not allowed in. 

That’s what I meant by the weird apprenticeship comment ?

6 hours ago, SL17 said:

I just wanted to clarify they haven't travelled from Canada. Which is the way this thread started off.

I started the thread and if you read the opening post, you will see that's absolutely not the case.

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It"s sad but on this topic I don't know if you're being serious or not.

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

And don't forget ; What was the name of Eddie Waring's dog after his first marriage and before his last tour down under?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I’m beginning to wonder, being born in Berkshire, whether I’m allowed to follow rugby league given there’s no history of the sport in the county. I did support Bradford when I was a student there in the early 80s but maybe I shouldn’t have. It’s all very confusing. 

1 hour ago, Copa said:

This thread is hilarious.

It would be if so many people weren't serious about supporters who don't live where they can see their clubs home ground from the garden aren't real supporters.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

23 minutes ago, Padge said:

It would be if so many people weren't serious about supporters who don't live where they can see their clubs home ground from the garden aren't real supporters.

I hope you have a Wigan postal address. You don’t want to be considered a neutral fan.

46 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

I’m beginning to wonder, being born in Berkshire, whether I’m allowed to follow rugby league given there’s no history of the sport in the county. I did support Bradford when I was a student there in the early 80s but maybe I shouldn’t have. It’s all very confusing. 

Nope , you shouldn't have ?

48 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

Not born within five minutes walk from the M62? Stick to cricket and croquet. 

Archived