Toronto away support

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

Anyone purporting to be a TWP fan should be quizzed on things like who the 1976 Regal Trophy finalists were and what Halifax’s old ground was called - anything less than 100% and they’re not allowed in. 

I think it was the John Player Trophy in the 1970s. Any home supporter would know that ? 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 06/08/2019 at 21:32, EssexRL said:

I’m beginning to wonder, being born in Berkshire, whether I’m allowed to follow rugby league given there’s no history of the sport in the county. I did support Bradford when I was a student there in the early 80s but maybe I shouldn’t have. It’s all very confusing. 

I'm wondering if it's better to be a plastic London Fan (only a 120 mile round trip), or a Plastic Heartlands Fan (a 300 mile round trip) ? If I am unfortunate enough not to live anywhere near a Superleague club, is it permissible for me to even turn on the telly to watch a match?

As for the Wolfpack fans, UK branch, some of them had done 400 mile round trips to support their team at Bradford. If they aren't supporters and travelling fans then who are ? Have only encountered Wolfpack fans via Social Media, rather than real life, however I have to say they have all been brilliant, positive, inclusive, welcoming. Maybe that's one of the reasons that people can relate to them and find a spiritual home? The traditional clubs have local followings due to being embedded in communities for 100+ years. Toronto are building a new community of fans, some are in Toronto and some are in the UK, Australia etc. If Manchester Utd can have a Malaysian Fan Club, so can St. Helen's, as a for instance.

The Internet facilitates a new community. There's nothing to stop any other team taking a similar initiative. I have no idea whether TO Wolfpack will be a short term or long term proposition. However, I do think we owe them a debt of gratitude for the Publicity, getting the Championship on TV, raising the playing standards by putting on such good performances. As the season draws on TOW are being pushed much harder than they were at the start of the season. We are all benefiting from that up-shift in quality and performance as teams raise their game and take them on. Amateurs v Professionals but pushing them all the way, full credit to all the Championship. 

??

6 minutes ago, SL17 said:

You cant say logical things like that. The expansionists are here forever.

Well until the plug is pulled.

Its Okay...we have our own generator (and it can pump out lots of juice).

2 hours ago, SL17 said:

Unfortunatley you wont have the diesel to put in it..

Got her hooked up on tickle charged  batteries sourced from solar and wind power to act as a backup.

6 hours ago, Raumati Rugby said:

I can only guess (based on figures for a 3 year period that I Have seen), that David Hughes has invested between £25,000,000 and £30,000,000 into the London club in various stages of its existence. I'd be stunned if Argyle is at 10% of that figure yet and there's a long road for the Wolfpack to Navigate until they are self sufficient, if ever.

That said, not many teams pay for themselves, so carry on Mr A.......you're not hurting anyone other than the naysayers.

I believe Toronto’s costs are over £2 million a year. Given this is the 3rd year of their existence, I’m fairly sure Argyle will have spent over £3 million.

9 hours ago, Hemel Stag said:

The Internet facilitates a new community. There's nothing to stop any other team taking a similar initiative. 

An important point. I know Skolars have been learning from TWP social media team but also trying some Wolfpack inspired initiatives to build gates (somewhat countered by our performance on the pitch recently). Back to the OP - the away support at Bradford also shows the potential in using fans more to build support - something I’m not sure we do enough of. I don’t mean (just) selling raffle tickets but a much more integrated role like the TWP Ambassadors. 

2 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

That would have been Moi? Moi? Kman. Are you sure you're a teacher and not a schoolkid?

I'm just a little kid for the love of Mike.

kid.jpg

Whether they are Canadians, expats, Brits, turncoat Bradford fans, or curious aliens from another galaxy matters not. As long as they spend money on tickets, merch, beer and food, then it's all good.

So many nits to pick, sometimes this feels like a colony of chimps.

4 minutes ago, Loup said:

Whether they are Canadians, expats, Brits, turncoat Bradford fans, or curious aliens from another galaxy matters not. As long as they spend money on tickets, merch, beer and food, then it's all good.

So many nits to pick, sometimes this feels like a colony of chimps.

Avez vous un cuppa?

rldfsignature.jpg

Archived