Each club’s one main rival?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Why do they wear the same colours and have similar names though? Are they derived from the same club?

it goes back to the days of the old hunslet club in about 1972.  when the club closed down a trust fund was there to keep junior rugby in the area going and a youth team was started in belle isle that was named hunslet parkside . that team that still exists and over the years produced many fine players and a number of years ago former players from there and hunslet boys club/warriors got a open age club together playing I think out of the blooming rose pub in hunslet . the colours date back to the old hunslet club and of course were and still are used by the hunslet Parkside youth and open age teams . that's the only real link in that the original money to fund the junior team came from the sale of Parkside .

think I have it right but would appreciate any other comments either agreeing or indeed disagreeing with what I have said as its a while back and the mind at times forgets things

Until probably the 1950s Wigan and Leigh were the biggest of rivals. Around that time for Wigan it became St.Helens and vice versa with Leigh slowly being relegated to a lower rivalry, though Leigh seem to have kept that up, especially when in 1973 big WIgan swallowed up the village of Leigh into the Metropolitan Borough of Wigan.

Some people are confusing intense competition when two teams are at the top with true rivals.

For cross Penine rivalry Wigan and Leeds has always been the big one. 

Warrington will just fight with anybody.

The Leeds v Bradford SL rivalry was just made up by Sky.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived