Each club’s one main rival?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think for Hull FC the derby is still the stand out. But overexposure has definitely taken the shine off a little bit. 

I have really enjoyed Hull v Wigan games in recent times. I think there is a lot of mutual respect between the club's which probably stemmed from Wane and Radford being good pals. Then we had the Australia trip. There have been some cracking games between the two over the last few years including a cup final and playoffs which went right to the wire.

11 minutes ago, MZH said:

I think for Hull FC the derby is still the stand out. But overexposure has definitely taken the shine off a little bit. 

I have really enjoyed Hull v Wigan games in recent times. I think there is a lot of mutual respect between the club's which probably stemmed from Wane and Radford being good pals. Then we had the Australia trip. There have been some cracking games between the two over the last few years including a cup final and playoffs which went right to the wire.

That's why two Hull teams in the top league doesn't make sense.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

2 hours ago, Mister Ting said:

That's why two Hull teams in the top league doesn't make sense.

No, two Hull teams is fine. But not when we are playing eachother 4 times per season. If you just keep it to home and away then Craven Park will sell out, the KCOM will get 20k+, and they will feel like proper occasions.

7 minutes ago, MZH said:

No, two Hull teams is fine. But not when we are playing eachother 4 times per season. If you just keep it to home and away then Craven Park will sell out, the KCOM will get 20k+, and they will feel like proper occasions.

OK, you stay with your little teams and we can carry on watching a little sport., played mostly in little northern towns.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

6 hours ago, Mister Ting said:

OK, you stay with your little teams and we can carry on watching a little sport., played mostly in little northern towns.

I think having an city derby adds a lot to super league, I’m more likely to tune into Hull v KR than a game between two other comparable sized teams (eg Wire v Wakey), especially when it’s at Craven Park where the ground seems to be absolutely rocking on derby day. 

Who would you replace one of them with anyway Mr Ting?

On 05/08/2019 at 10:21, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Hull FC v Hull KR obviously.

I guess Leigh would consider Wigan as their main rivals, but not the other way round.

Warrington would either be Wigan or Saints I guess.

Not sure about the West Yorkshire clubs. Most would consider Leeds I guess.

From what I have been told it was always Leigh v Wigan and visa versa in days past, my grandad who died in '64 aged 70 it's told that if Leigh lost at Central Park he would walk the 8 miles home and not speak to anyone for a week being so upset, I never found out what is reaction was if Leigh lost to them at home!

18 hours ago, Mister Ting said:

That's all well and good, but sport (any sport) is built on rivalries. I'm all for expansion, but you don't want to throw away the things that are good about the game whilst you are doing it.

We need to take the game to different places. But people don't get excited about sport because two teams from big cities are playing. 

I never look forward going to Headingley when they are playing either Hull clubs ,that's no slight on most fans of those clubs who are fine its just a feeling I get. My other Club Bramley its got to be Bradford either the Northern version or Bulls . Bit of feeling there 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

13 hours ago, MZH said:

That's all well and good, but sport (any sport) is built on rivalries. I'm all for expansion, but you don't want to throw away the things that are good about the game whilst you are doing it.

We need to take the game to different places. But people don't get excited about sport because two teams from big cities are playing. 

I agree, personally its why with expansion, in an idealistic (and perhaps totally unrealistic) world teams would come in pairs. Natural rivals so to speak. For example, Catalans and Toulouse, Toronto and Ottawa, etc.

Obviously there's a lot of problems in that, but that instant rivalry should be something to build on at least.

Not one for us (perhaps in the future Broncos if we ever get in the same league) but frankly beating ANY heartland club is a big deal. 

46 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

For Fax I would say it is Fev. We have both been kicking about the top of the Championship for a number of years and there is always a fierce rivalry in the games and between the fans.

I agree Blues Ox- any game in recent times against fax either at Post Office Rd or the Shay has that added spice.

But most at Fev would count Cas as our closet rivals even though the opportunities to play them in the past decade or so have been limited to pre-season friendlies, the couple of occasions when they got relegated and one cup game.

For Swinton it used to be Salford but in recent times we haven't really had anyone apart from Rochdale and Leigh as derbies. 

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

On 05/08/2019 at 11:02, wilsontown said:

York's games against Bradford have been pretty intense, but I guess you couldn't say it was a traditional rivalry. Hunslet maybe?

York-Hunslet always seems a bit contrived to me (like calling a Barrow-Whitehaven game a 'Cumbria' derby). Decades ago (when Hunslet could give Leeds a run for their money), York would have been below the notice of Hunslet. Owing to its relative isolation (in rugby league terms), York doesn't really have a 'local' rival.

32 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

York-Hunslet always seems a bit contrived to me (like calling a Barrow-Whitehaven game a 'Cumbria' derby). Decades ago (when Hunslet could give Leeds a run for their money), York would have been below the notice of Hunslet. Owing to its relative isolation (in rugby league terms), York doesn't really have a 'local' rival.

Time for an expansion team in Harrogate then (the Posh Derby) ?

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Time for an expansion team in Harrogate then (the Posh Derby) ?

one of the proposed changes of home for hunslet in the 1970s was to relocate to Harrogate at one of the football grounds there .

perhaps in hindsight it may have been a wise move 

14 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

one of the proposed changes of home for hunslet in the 1970s was to relocate to Harrogate at one of the football grounds there .

perhaps in hindsight it may have been a wise move 

I don’t understand why there are two unrelated Hunslet teams playing in the same colours (Wikipedia doesn’t explain), but surely (from a layman’s view) if they merged they’d create a stronger Hunslet side?

21 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I don’t understand why there are two unrelated Hunslet teams playing in the same colours (Wikipedia doesn’t explain), but surely (from a layman’s view) if they merged they’d create a stronger Hunslet side?

quite simple one is semi professional the other totally unrelated and amateur.   

Archived