Knights vs Wolfpack

RobertAM

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the risk of sounding controversial, I have been mulling over the ‘Toronto’ experiment and can’t help but feel that there isn’t anything like a level playing field currently. 

To explain, as far as the Knights are concerned, I understood they began their journey in the early hours of Friday morning (those that could get time off work) and returned home on Sunday. Teams playing in Toronto get little or no chance to acclimatise. In comparison, Toronto’s away games are much easier as most, if not all their squad, are based in the UK.

I would doubt very much that they will travel to Canada the day before their home games so will get much longer to prepare. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great city and i am sure away games are a great experience, but the real test is likely to come next season, if, as expected, they make it to SL. I can’t see established SL sides taking an 8 hour flight across several time zones and playing the following day. 

Beer and York Knights. Proof the God loves us and wants us to be happy. 🍺🏉

4 minutes ago, White Knight said:

At the risk of sounding controversial, I have been mulling over the ‘Toronto’ experiment and can’t help but feel that there isn’t anything like a level playing field currently. 

To explain, as far as the Knights are concerned, I understood they began their journey in the early hours of Friday morning (those that could get time off work) and returned home on Sunday. Teams playing in Toronto get little or no chance to acclimatise. In comparison, Toronto’s away games are much easier as most, if not all their squad, are based in the UK.

I would doubt very much that they will travel to Canada the day before their home games so will get much longer to prepare. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great city and i am sure away games are a great experience, but the real test is likely to come next season, if, as expected, they make it to SL. I can’t see established SL sides taking an 8 hour flight across several time zones and playing the following day. 

The big 4-5 will fly over on the Tuesday or wednesday i would think 

6 hours ago, White Knight said:

The players flew home straight after the game

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Flew out from Manchester Thursday dinnertime, didnt seem to be too many Yorkies on board.Anyway i was lucky enough to have 3 seats to myself, stretch out. Got to Toronto about 7hrs later then minus the 5hrs difference and its 1430 we get there. The transfer was a drag as the traffic congestion is mental, this happened every time we got on a bus. Sheraton hotel was great, right near the famous TORONTO sign. Quick wash and out on the lash. First pub Duke of Richmond not bad. People talking to us straight away, this happened all the time on this trip by the way. Canadians are a friendly people. Ended up in Quinns bar which we learnt after 2 days was attached to our hotel Doh! First meal a hot dog. Didnt find a kebab shop until Sunday night. 

Friday set off for Niagra Falls. More Yorkies about, Peter G. and Mrs G on the bus before us. Niagra was brill, worth every penny. Got drenched, looked like pratts , but what a great laugh. Coach back was as i said a drag so we were late back into Toronto so we missed the first 2 hrs of the meetup in The Northern Maverick. Anyway got there to see more York fans and the flag draped above where everyone could see it. The event was nowt flash but good to see more people, including the legend that is Geoff Pryce.

Saturday morning up at 8. Brekky then photo shoot with the flags in front of the TORONTO sign then taxis to The 3 Brewers. Got there early. It was shut....so got all the flags hung up..then it was open.Plenty of choice of beers..no Johns. 3 ex York lads come in, Midgley, Tansley and Gary Pryce,all players from the 84 semi v Wigan. Onto Lamport, crowd building nicely. Red hot.Counted 62 York fans. The teams come out led by Geoff Pryce along with the 3 afore said ex players. A great touch. York were off it today, make your own reasons,whereas Wolfpack were on fire. Glad we got on the scoreboard. Some new songs were sung, and sung to the end. ..Just cant get enough...Matty Marsh's Mam n Dad...Hey Braddy...etc etc etc. Stayed at the ground for 2 hrs after the game. Players mixing with us all. Loved it. Just had a great laugh for the rest of the night. 

Sunday up not so early but had a good walk around the Waterfront ending up in a bar that did pints of Guinness for 3 and half dollars for 3 hours! Get in!!  Finished Sunday with a kebab at last.

Monday not flying till late so had a look around BlueJays Baseball Stadium and then the Aquarium which was great. Did not touch a drop today..dont like drinking before flying. Got back to Manchester Tuesday a.m totally knackered but so glad we did the trip. Highly reccomend it.    Now onto Fev!!!!

Archived