widnes greatest cup run

Was Widnes 1963-64 Challenge Cup run and win the biggest of all time . Playing ten matches in just five rounds

first round

Leigh 2-2 Widnes  ,  1st replay Widnes 11-11 Leigh ,  2nd replay Widnes 14-2 Leigh

Second round

Widnes 16-6 Liverpool c

Quarter Final

Widnes 5-5 Swinton  , 1st replay Swinton 0-0 Widnes , 2nd replay Widnes 15-3 Swinton

Semi Final

Widnes 7-7 Castleford , 1st replay Castleford 5-7 Widnes

Final

Widnes 13-5 Hull KR  

Chief Crazy Eagle

Gluttons for punishment!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not precisely the same thing but reminds me of I think it was the 82/83 season for Hull, they played something like 7 games in 21 days, we drew with Northern in the JPS, played again three days later then played Oldham 4 days later. We then didn't play for another 20 days due to bad weather so ha the backlog of postponed games.

Thank god we didn't draw any games in the CC as that would have been even more chaotic/hellish, the problem of going far in all 4 knock-out comps and getting a tour match to boot. Also that year in the CC we beat warrington away, it was my first time at Wilderspool, the next time I went was over 20 years later with my local club in the death throws of the ground for a Harry Jepson play-off match. 

Warrington fans went absolutely bezerk after we beat them 4-10 with 11 men, I remember being chased along with a load of FC fans by hundreds of their fans, it would seem they haven't changed much!

Archived