1989 WORLD CLUB

As its coming up to the 30th anniversary of that famous night at Old Trafford . Was thinking what a great Tv programme it would make for the BBC. Jon Davies could host with guest and full re run of the match . I do feel that rugby league doesn't shout about its illustrious past .  

Chief Crazy Eagle

13 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

What game was it? I'm guessing Widnes against an Aussie team?

I obviously didn't watch it at the time, but I love anything that has players and interviews from that era of rugby league.

Give me anything that has the likes of Offiah, Hanley, Davies, Meninga, and I'm interested.

Widnes v Canberra - hence the Widnes away shirt this year. I used to have it on VHS!!

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

Having gone to both I would prefer Wigan v Manly from 87, a much better game and atmosphere, each to his own I suppose but the chance's of seeing either are nil on the BBC, get the DVD and enjoy at your leisure ?

Exciting game, with either side dominating for periods. Well worth a watch, if only for start-spotting.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

This game was the only non-Wigan one I included in my top 5 live games.

I loved that Widnes team from the 1980's... really skillful and exciting to watch but also hard as nails.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I prefer this game to the Wigan v Manly game.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

14 minutes ago, jacksy said:

I prefer this game to the Wigan v Manly game.

As a game I think it probably was better. The Wigan Manly game is so engraved in my memory though as the atmosphere at Central Park that night was astonishing. Absolutely electric. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

26 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Don't you miss the quick 20 tap?

By the way , quick  taps  from penalties are something we often get told are allowed but they always seem to get pulled back 

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

This game was the only non-Wigan one I included in my top 5 live games.

I loved that Widnes team from the 1980's... really skillful and exciting to watch but also hard as nails.

I just loved that Widnes side of that 1987-91 era. As a teenager, they were the most exciting side I'd ever seen. Offiah is still my favourite player, but they had skill all across the park and just seemed to keep signing attacking players. As you say, they also had some hard guys in there. And the 1989 Widnes shirt is a cracker too!

Archived