RFL killing the game

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Any reason given?

I would guess that the mess from the off season would have been a huge negative in that decision and the likelihood they will not be around should the funding get pulled. 

4 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

That doesn’t mean that they can’t still run a reserve team if they wish. They’re doing so now and there’s not a proper league in place, so they could easily do so again next year. 

I would imagine a few clubs will enter a comp like this if only a select few get through the process. 

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Playing devil’s advocate, are Keighley ressies up to snuff?

Only way to find out would be to have let them play, maybe that's the reason he RFL have excluded them. Another tick in the box of the RFL shafting Keighley.

Oh no another bloody drama queen thread.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

While Keighley are to be commended for running a reserves when few clubs were willing to do so, do Keighley reserves really offer anything above what the NCL does?

The NCL aren't part of the Professional leagues.

36 minutes ago, StuartH said:

I would guess that the mess from the off season would have been a huge negative in that decision and the likelihood they will not be around should the funding get pulled. 

I would imagine a few clubs will enter a comp like this if only a select few get through the process. 

Guess? Imagine? ??

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Can’t quite see where that was said in the post you’ve quoted. 

Saint 1 was of the opinion that Keighley Reserves would offer no more the an NCL team.Moot point, I am of the opinion that NCL teams are not eligible to join the Reserve League so it doesn't matter in the slightest.

5 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

No but the whole point of the reserve league is player development above and beyond the amateur game. If a team don't offer that, what is the point in them being in the league?

So I guess a Saints reserves playing in that league will also not be offering anything more than a NCL side either then?

53 minutes ago, StuartH said:

Those clubs with a particular grading of  Academy have to run reserve sides - as do Super League clubs - despite Keighley and Halifax managing to run a reserve side through the years when other clubs failed to do so.

https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/284510-reserves-get-off-the-mark/

The owner from the successful years in the 1990's has returned to Keighley since the previous owners got the club in a mess.

They play their own players.Last season St Helens played Hull KR players in their reserve side.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

8 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

No but the whole point of the reserve league is player development above and beyond the amateur game. If a team don't offer that, what is the point in them being in the league?

I don't see it like that, the NCL is amateur, the Reserve League is a semi professional environment at the very least. Their is no ladder system to establish that some NCL team is better than some teams Reserve team, they are different competitions with no overlap

Halifax also been denied ...

Appalling decision , both clubs have supported the Reserve Team Structure for many years , particularly in Fax's case being funded and supported by supporter run iniatives ...

Both teams have produced a steady stream of players that have made their mark at first team level yet another kick in the proverbials for lower league clubs trying to develop from within ....

5 minutes ago, Rach said:

Halifax also been denied ...

Appalling decision , both clubs have supported the Reserve Team Structure for many years , particularly in Fax's case being funded and supported by supporter run iniatives ...

Both teams have produced a steady stream of players that have made their mark at first team level yet another kick in the proverbials for lower league clubs trying to develop from within ....

Wow! No Halifax reserves! After what their wonderful supporters have done over the years to have a reserve side - gratefully accepted by the current assistant head coach at St Helens,Mr Marshall.

So much for player participation and funding,then.

It was further back than last year when the great and good,who want all the television money,accepted players from each other to feature in reserve games - a vital link for clubs and player pathways.Which also improves players.

https://www.totalrl.com/column-rfl-need-make-reserve-grade-compulsory/

Even by RFL standards this is outrageous.

It’ll be interesting to see if there’s any reasoning given to any clubs who do or don’t get an invitation to join. I don’t necessarily buy the idea that the game is out to harm Lower League clubs.

For some context, my local non-league football team have a first team and a reserve team. One of my local Football League Teams only have a first team, having shut down their Academy this summer. That’s a club who receive vast sums of money from the Football League, FA, Sponsors etc and they can only run one side, while “we”, the non-league team, have a first team, a reserve team and an academy ranging from about U7-U18. 

The reserve team is absolutely miles away from the first team and U18 side. It’s essentially high end Sunday League level, it produces absolutely zero players for the first team (most come from other clubs or are promoted from the U18 side) and is miles off from being close to the standard of the first team. I’ve questioned the chairman and another director on why they continue to fund a reserve side when it continues to serve such a presence and they don’t really seem to give a great answer on why, I think it’s just because it’s one of those things they’ve always done, so always will do and they’re a little averse to change. 

Anyway, my point is, while it looks good at least from the outside looking in that a county level (a ninth tier side) can have a first team, reserve team and an academy, a local professional side only has a first team, there’s often more to the story. 

Now I’m not suggesting any lower league club’s reserve side is on a similar level to the example I’ve given but more, there’s more than meets the eye. 

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

Any reason given?

No official reason yet but my first thought was that the super league clubs (who didn't want to run reserve teams in the first place) don't fancy the extra couple of games a season against "less worthy" lower league opposition. If I remember correctly the last time Wigan ran a reserve team a few years back they refused to play against Keighley or Fax. 

44 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

So how do clubs like Keighley & Halifax attract young players and keep existing players who are not in the first team if there is no comp for them to play in.

Twitter suggests Whitehaven have had their application for a reserve side rejected.

This is Whitehaven,top of League 1,coached admirably by Gary Charlton,after their financial problems last year,in his first season,with a side full of local players,and now informed they will not be able to have a reserve side for their probable first season in The Championship.

Just when you thought the sport couldn't get any more idiotic after the weekend...

Archived