RFL killing the game

10 minutes ago, SL17 said:

No, but they would have to for 2021.

Of course that assumes they would still be in SL ? The promoted club will usually (Toronto excepted) be the favourites to come straight back down again...

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 07/08/2019 at 10:31, Tex said:

...I know for some players there is the prestige of playing at a Pro club even if it is at reserves but I would argue that a young player from Halifax Reserves would learn more and develop more playing NCL Premier for Siddal each week than playing Wigan/Saints Reserves in the new structure...

Very interesting whole post Tex ??

On the section above - A genuine question from a southern RL fan who does not know about NCL or the current reserve teams quality... what standard are the current reserve teams at & how would they compare to the top NCL/league 1/Championship teams?

Would we ‘expect’ the new SL reserve teams (made up for example of 1st team players not in the main SL 17 man squad & the 19/20 yr old ex academy lads kept on to develop) to be playing at a higher level than the top championship teams?

Would the reserve team players generally be on less money or more than the championship/league 1 players?

15 hours ago, Celt said:

I disagree with Tex's post.  

The NCL train and often play on public parks, train at night, often with volunteer coaches.  They have limited S&C input, limited medical/rehab support, very little analysis.  In short, they lack most of the pillars of a performance environment.

Disagree by all means, a healthy debate is more than welcome on this forum. 

The only thing I’d like to question about your argument is the paragraph above. Now that Halifax have been accepted and they’re now no longer in the discussion, Keighley reserves and/or Whitehaven would train on evenings, often with volunteer coaches, have limited S&C, Medical support etc, so the only difference is that they might have a club owned training ground.

What they may get, however, is a playing opportunity that might be more appropriately matched for that individual’s development which is what my point was from the start. 

23 hours ago, POR said:

only did that once last year when FEV got two injured and were short of players played second row  in centre in that game since their tom got injured luke not played in last two games for FEV  don't expect to see him again 

He’ll of a sentence mate.  ?

Looks like he could finish the year with Leeds.

The much-maligned Keighley Cougars have shown their resolve and elected to finish the fixtures.

Tonight they have defeated the much-vaunted Halifax reserve side 18-0.

Crackin'...

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

34 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

The much-maligned Keighley Cougars have shown their resolve and elected to finish the fixtures.

Tonight they have defeated the much-vaunted Halifax reserve side 18-0.

Crackin'...

Well done the Cougars. The Fax Reserves picked up 7 injuries including Will Calcott who left on crutches and Oli Waite with his arm in a sling. Keighley Reserves are no mugs and have beaten Fev, Fax etc this year. Just because the club has gone through some problems, doesnt mean the reserves are rubbish.

12 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Cool story. Still not in Super League. 

Pleasing,isn't it?

Away from those disciplined elite players.Those disciplined supporters.Not forgetting those elite owners.

Never forgetting those sarcastic,ever so witty followers.

As long as no one can accuse Super League of killing the game...  

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Pleasing,isn't it?

Away from those disciplined elite players.Those disciplined supporters.Not forgetting those elite owners.

Never forgetting those sarcastic,ever so witty followers.

As long as no one can accuse Super League of killing the game...  

No, Keighley have been told the reasoning for not being allowed a team in the new league. 

I think you probably need to look at the governance of the lower leagues, The RFaiL, sorry RFL, for a better look at whose damaging the game rather than Super League. 

On 15/08/2019 at 11:11, Oliver Clothesoff said:

No, Keighley have been told the reasoning for not being allowed a team in the new league. 

I think you probably need to look at the governance of the lower leagues, The RFaiL, sorry RFL, for a better look at whose damaging the game rather than Super League. 

Yea.I have been mesmerised by the information given by Dave Rotheram at the RFL.

I decided to look at the non-scoring English players in your side last night because I thought the modern rugby league player must be coached on the far side of the moon if they were not coming from the community game.

Alas,it seems the most successful club in England,hitherto,has many players from the community game...

Lomax - Orrell St James - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonny_Lomax

Percival - Halton Hornets - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Percival

Costello - Orrell St James - https://www.saintsrlfc.com/teams/first-team/matthew-costello/

Welsby - Blackbrook - https://www.saintsrlfc.com/teams/first-team/jack-welsby/

Archived