Bill Wookey

Seaton Sandy

Just learned from a friend in the Barrow camp that the legendary Bill Wookey passed away just now. For all the few remaining dinosaurs who still remember when Town strutted their stuff at the highest level we will recall the partnership between Bill and Ike Southward. Great names from an iconic era. Condolences to the family of the great man..... 

11 hours ago, Seaton Sandy said:

Just learned from a friend in the Barrow camp that the legendary Bill Wookey passed away just now. For all the few remaining dinosaurs who still remember when Town strutted their stuff at the highest level we will recall the partnership between Bill and Ike Southward. Great names from an iconic era. Condolences to the family of the great man..... 

RIP Bill

Bill Wookey was a great centre and a bit of a wizard.  He had a side step that not even his own team mates knew which way he was going. RIP Bill

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

As a kid I found it amusing that a player called Wookey should be playing for "Wukky" !  I was incredibly lucky to be raised in an era where Town had so many fabulous players- many of them homegrown. I confess that although I was taken to matches involving the likes of Wookey,Paskins ,Mudge and many others I was far too young to really appreciate what I was seeing. My dad had mates like Albert Pepperel and Harry Archer so I was always going to be baptized in the Town tradition. I think the first players who registered on my radar were the awesome Martin brothers - can still recall them causing maximum carnage in the opposition ranks!

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

And now legendary cup winner Tony Paskins

Hadn't heard of his passing. One of the great Aussie recruits to the Town machine under the stewardship of Gus Risman. Johnny Mudge was another countryman who starred in the second row. My old feller reckoned Mudge wasn't keen on his first name being used.........( Rupert!) 

Just now, Seaton Sandy said:

Hadn't heard of his passing. One of the great Aussie recruits to the Town machine under the stewardship of Gus Risman. Johnny Mudge was another countryman who starred in the second row. My old feller reckoned Mudge wasn't keen on his first name being used.........( Rupert!) 

I’m wondering if Paskins would have been the last one left of that cup winning team?

Archived