James Child Dropped?

Been dropped to the touch for a SL game and only taking full charge in the championship this weekend. 

Honestly I don't see why, unless this is part of a usual rotation, which I doubt. That Cats v Wire game was unreffable at times because of the players. Regardless of why I think its a pretty appalling misjudgement by whoever at the RFL to drop a ref after that sort of scenario when instead solidarity should be shown.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/james-child-to-referee-championship-game-this-weekend/

Outrageous decision by the RFL. Whatever way you look at it, it comes across as blaming the referee for the players' behaviour on Saturday. Talk about hanging your own officials out to dry.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

There are a couple of ways you can look at it, and we will never know the facts around what the discussions were that took place in the MO Dept. From the outside it does look as if he has been dropped which essentially could be interpreted as hanging him out to dry and appeasing the crowds. 

I personally don't think he did anything wrong, the tone was indicated by Chris Hill early on in my opinion, with the challenge that he got sin binned for, he as captain indicates to the rest of his players the type of behaviour that is deemed to be acceptable. Warrington didn't respond well to Catalans going ahead and the game got very niggly, again my opinion but Wire feeling the pressure and being unable to perform. 

When you throw into the mix players like McIlorum who isn't afraid of flaring things up, I think it didn't matter who was reffing, the outcome would have been the same. The irony of Chris Hill going "my missus and parents are up there" and being worried about it kicking off is that if he'd thought about his own conduct earlier in the game and not wanting his kids to see him flying off the handle the outcome may have been something very different.

Anyway back on topic, if it was discussed with Childs by his managers in the MO dept it may well have been decided that it was for the best in order to protect him rather than sending him out in front of a baying crowd as it is inevitable that any error would have been massively scrutinised and all SL games this weekend have a bearing on final positions so in fact it may have been a genius stroke by the MO dept and not actually what it appears at first. 

Ganson's legendary man management skills appear to have struck again

As a minimum he should have issued a statement giving full support to ALL the match officials involved in the game but once again he has hung them out to dry and you wonder why the match officials get so much unwarranted and ignorant abuse

22 minutes ago, wilsontown said:

If it's part of the usual rotation of officials, then I think the RFL should come out and say so.

I highly suspect it is. However, in these exceptional circumstances you'd think someone at the RFL would have an ounce of perspective and be able to see what this looks like from the outside and shuffle it around a bit. 

None of the headlines say 'Child rotated out' - they all say 'Child Dropped'. Once again they've failed to direct the message they're wanting to send out.

Child should have been given the biggest and highest profile game of the Super League round to ref.  He may have made a mistake in the last game he reffed but players and referees make mistakes all the time... what he didn't do was damage the game with outrageous acts of petulance and violence as some of the players did.

Whatever he is told or whatever spin is applied, the clear implication from this move is that he was some way at fault for the events on the pitch on Saturday.  Anybody who have been taken off a project to protect them or reduce their risk of negative exposure knows it is done because their manager doesn't really trust them.

It stinks of terrible man management and a lack of trust and support for the officials.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

James Child is the scapegoat here. He won’t be involved in a Super League fixture this weekend, but Kenny Edwards is free to play, outrageous. 

Yes and no.  He is absolutely not to blame for what happened but he did some strange things.  For the first sin bin he refused to look at or acknowledge one touch judge when in conversation and completely ignored them when they pointed a finger at Mamo.  It was bizarre behavior and not one a quality ref should follow.  I remember thinking how petty and it looked and then the rest subsequently happened.

It is worth noting Child was getting plenty of critisism on the Catalan/Wire game thread long before the game blew up into the shambles it turned out.

He comes across as weak and not in control when the ###### hits the Fan IMO and players will take advantage of this in a heated game.

That is also my answer to your other previous question Dunbar on the game thread.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with Super League/The RFL “dropping” referee’s after a string of bad performances onfield. However, I don’t think we have a particularly deep or strong pool of referees, but that’s another discussion. 

I’ve only watched the highlights of the game at the weekend and I didn’t think he did anything particularly bad or made any major errors from what I saw. 

Just now, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with Super League/The RFL “drooping” referee’s after a string of bad performances onfield. However, I don’t think we have a particularly deep or strong pool of referees, but that’s another discussion. 

I’ve only watched the highlights of the game at the weekend and I didn’t think he did anything particularly bad or made any major errors from what I saw. 

I never have a problem with it either. Refs are professionals and should be reactive to performances. However in the big picture this looks like they've thrown him under the bus.

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I never have a problem with it either. Refs are professionals and should be reactive to performances. However in the big picture this looks like they've thrown him under the bus.

He could be injured, unwell etc, he could be taken out of the firing line for a week, he could be dropped, who knows? 

Just now, Oliver Clothesoff said:

He could be injured, unwell etc, he could be taken out of the firing line for a week, he could be dropped, who knows? 

He's touch judging on Friday in SL and is in the middle in the championship game. He's not injured or unwell. I don't see why he needs to be taken out of the firing line the only two people in the game that have criticised him were the two coaches. Every headline, news article, comment has been that he's been dropped. That is an appalling way to treat someone who oversaw a very difficult situation imo.

I called it on the Warrington / Cats thread - I fully expected that James Childs would be in the Championship this week. 

That's the way it seems to go with refs. Every time there is some sort of 'controversy', that referee does a week in the Championship. It's no wonder they appear tentative and afraid to make tough decisions.

I thought childs did very well to handle a difficult situation.

I think when teams lose the plot like this and when, like in this game  he (or any tef) warns the captains before it really kicked off - to control their team they should sin bin both captains if it happens again - that way the rest of the players may think first. The captains are usually the best player as well, so even more incentive for the rest of the team to keep calm.

I think Chris Hill is a great player but on this occasion he showed himself up and made RL look amateurish.

7 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Been dropped to the touch for a SL game and only taking full charge in the championship this weekend. 

Honestly I don't see why, unless this is part of a usual rotation, which I doubt. That Cats v Wire game was unreffable at times because of the players. Regardless of why I think its a pretty appalling misjudgement by whoever at the RFL to drop a ref after that sort of scenario when instead solidarity should be shown.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/james-child-to-referee-championship-game-this-weekend/

Or maybe it's to take him out of the firing line since it appears to have been him, and him alone that caused the players and Warrington fans to act disgracefully on Saturday night?

9 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

James Child is the scapegoat here. He won’t be involved in a Super League fixture this weekend, but Kenny Edwards is free to play, outrageous.

Plus Chris Hill and a host of others. Totally agree with you and for once Phil Clarke.

Child's decision-making and black and white rule interpretation are OK but his management of games and of players leaves a lot to be desired at times and I sense (happy to be proven wrong if there's a metric) that more of his games end up in some sort of chaos of boiling over or players and fans feeling exasperated than with other refs.

But he's never been dropped for that before, and I don't think there was anything wrong in particular with his decisions last week. So to drop him this week is just spineless and looks like scapegoating.

James Child didn't stiff-arm tackle anybody, run into 'brawls' (although spectators from the 70s would laugh at today's pat-a-cake being so designated), put his face into anybody's face, throw punches at anybody, show blatant dissent with foul language, threaten to jump into the crowd and generally act like a tool.  Those who maintain that he contributed to what happened need to grow up and try and find a couple of brain cells from somewhere.

5 hours ago, meast said:

Or maybe it's to take him out of the firing line since it appears to have been him, and him alone that caused the players and Warrington fans to act disgracefully on Saturday night?

B9llocks

16 hours ago, M j M said:

Child's decision-making and black and white rule interpretation are OK but his management of games and of players leaves a lot to be desired at times and I sense (happy to be proven wrong if there's a metric) that more of his games end up in some sort of chaos of boiling over or players and fans feeling exasperated than with other refs.

But he's never been dropped for that before, and I don't think there was anything wrong in particular with his decisions last week. So to drop him this week is just spineless and looks like scapegoating.

This is pretty much how I feel about it. Its wrong that he seems to be being scapegoated for that game, but in general I think his game/player management is terrible and he just isn't up to reffing at SL level because of it.

Archived