8 Aug: SL: Warrington Wolves v St Helens KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/08/19 at 18:45

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Man of Kent said:

I have to applaud the effort by Warrington forwards to make a game of this. It’s a shame they’ve had to field a 17yo half who is nowhere near ready 

I am loathe to criticise anyone as the effort has been there, but we have seen a few players maybe not ready. I think we could have maybe used them a bit earlier in the year in more positive circumstances.

6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I have to applaud the effort by Warrington forwards to make a game of this. It’s a shame they’ve had to field a 17yo half who is nowhere near ready 

You hit the 1 key in error I presume. Matty Smith?

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Anyone going to Wembley, expect more of the same.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

That game was won as soon as Stefan Ratchford stuck the ball down to kick a penalty at 10-18. A massive psychological tick in the box for our defence and not the first time we’ve seen sides admit defeat and take the two due to not having the confidence in their own ability to break down our defence. 

Anyway, a good win. Dominant in the latter stages but a decent grind of a performance for much of that game. 

Warrington remind me a lot of Wigan during Wane’s most successful spell. While they are a good attacking side and can/do play well, they also have a bit of a grubby side that can see them overstep the mark sometimes. They’ll be a big challenge round this time of year when it comes to semi’s and finals and I’m not looking forward to the Cup Final in a couple of weeks. 

Saints better than Wire and so they won.  Wire missing a few players which would have helped, but probably still have lost. Clearly missing Austin who's kicking would have helped and might have put Saints more on the back foot.  But generally Saints better organised and focussed and completed the key plays that counted.

Well considering we were missing our 1, 4, 6, 8 and 9 I thought Saints did alright tonight (not that you'd know it listening to Sky but hey ho). Bentley and Welsby having probably their best games for us. I know I joked before the game about Wire using academy products being a novelty but that was a prime example of what happens when you don't drip feed them through during the season. The young half was nowhere near ready so chucking him into a weakened team doesn't seem particularly sensible

Still tells us nothing about the cup final or play offs though, will be two different sides out for those and even though the scorelines of all three Wire games this season have ended up fairly comfortable they've all been pretty close affairs for large portions. Our fitness level do look bob on though for this time of year

Interestingly that leaves second placed Wire just as close to relegation as they are to Saints in the table. Not sure what that says really but it doesn't feel like a positive

5 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

With Warrington, bar kicks to the corner and taking the 2, I don't see where their points are coming from, beyond praying Austin creates something from nothing.

To be fair, we didnt score from kicks today. Those two tries were back to how we started the year with decent link play putting the wingers in. As form has dropped we have started to see us go into our shell and rely in the kicks.

6 minutes ago, meast said:

Weren't Saints missing Coote, Fages, Roby, Walmsley, Knowles? That's a pretty decent 5 players to have missed out, why is there so much focus on who Warrington had out?

Because Wire had Charnley, Lineham, King, Patton, Austin, Cooper, Clarke, Hughes out (8 of the starting 13) and then saw Currie and Walker leave injured in the first half.

That is why they talked about Wire's injuries.

But I'm not a fan of the focusing on injuries that Sky do, it's all a bit boring. Clarke even used the infamous moral victory line :kolobok_biggrin:

12 minutes ago, meast said:

Weren't Saints missing Coote, Fages, Roby, Walmsley, Knowles? That's a pretty decent 5 players to have missed out, why is there so much focus on who Warrington had out?

Percival also and we lost one player to a hamstring injury during the game.

However, that's beside the point really.  Whether the absent players were all fit or not, neither team was ever going to field its full side tonight given the big match in two weeks.

Warrington have the edge on Saints at Wembley.  We have only one player who has played there before, in Robes.  Given Saints have a couple of players prone to panic, that lack of big game experience may well make a difference on the day, although we do have a couple of internationals so that may go some way in rebalancing things. 

Either way, it's anyone's game in two weeks' time.  Saints tonight were the better side and I think our young guns really stood up.  Welsby in particular has made real improvements in his few appearances for the first team and it was really nice to see him awarded Sky's MoM.  That should encourage him.

One of the things I have really liked about our coach this season is that he has actively given game time to some young players.  He hasn't just waited for injuries to occur and then thrown them in.  He's rested first teamers and then proactively given young players a chance.  I don't remember who the last Saints coach was who did that.  We seem to have been prone to playing youngsters only when regulars have had injuries, which has frustrated me as that is no way to approach player development IMO.

Anyway, it was a good game to watch and I'm very pleased we have maintained our almost faultless record at the Halliwell Jones! ? 

2 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

I missed the first half hour with rugby training unfortunately! It did seem from what I saw that you reverted to type though. It might get you some results with Grace on a wet night but from 3 games against us this year it feels like the kick to the corner is all you have beyond Austin.

Hey you wont get me disagreeing too much on our style, I'm just not getting on my soap box tonight as i wasnt expecting much, and I generally pee my fellow Wire fans off with my moans about how boring we are!!!! :kolobok_biggrin:

we do have the potential when we have Ratch and BMM in the team, and we are a threat via Clark down the middle.

But tactically we are negative.

One thing about Matty Smith he has a booming kick. Helped Warrington when they were pegged back by saints, meaning saints coming from deep. Although kick chase by Warrington was slow. Think this greatly helped saints to keep pressure on.

Bit of a strange game and I don't think it was much of an indicator for whats to come at Wembley. Not a great deal of fluency from either team but not surprising given the spine (1,6,7,9,13) from both only had 1 regular starter in (Ratchford & Lomax). Both teams looked like they had players who were unsure of their role & positioning so the link between forwards & backs wasn't really there for most of the match.  

Ratchford & Lomax were the 2 that stood out for me as the ones who looked most likely to open the game up & create opportunities. Couldn't fault the effort from both sides either and the forwards looked like they were really enjoying the collisions with a few big hits.

Over-all I think Saints had that extra bit of class and composure when it mattered at key times and deserved the win, and it showed why they are so far ahead in the league. Interestingly if you look at the league points, Wire are 2nd in the league but essentially mid-table being the same number of points away from first as they are from last place. 

Several of the young players can also take a lot from that game and can hopefully use it as a springboard for their careers.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

The score should have been closer, but the Saints try from start of the 2nd half both killed off the game and showed the difference between the 2 teams, a poor tackle and with it a lack of application.  It was a soft try.   

Will it be any different at Wembley? Being selfish I was glad to see Saints win last night but, if I must, I'd be happy to see Wire win at Wembley.  But I don't think they will.

Disappointed with the score at the end but as usual Wire capitulated with 20 mins still to play. Not overly downhearted though as there were a few glimmers of hope out there. Tasi played to his true potential for the first time, Livett never stopped trying, Goodwin - I wish he wasn't going and Ratchford is indispensable for us. The youngsters are not quite ripe but gave it a goid go. Wire desperately need to bolster the pack with some line breaking forwards who are also prepared to bend their backs in defense without giving needless penalties away. Austin and Smith as a half back pairing could just work!

Well played Saints though, their systems are evidently reaping rewards and they well deserve their success this season.

14 hours ago, Dave T said:

Because Wire had Charnley, Lineham, King, Patton, Austin, Cooper, Clarke, Hughes out (8 of the starting 13) and then saw Currie and Walker leave injured in the first half.

That is why they talked about Wire's injuries.

But I'm not a fan of the focusing on injuries that Sky do, it's all a bit boring. Clarke even used the infamous moral victory line :kolobok_biggrin:

In your list is that the same Patton who was dropped and replaced by an experienced former England international and GF / Lance Todd winner?

In that case we were also missing Luke Douglas because he was on loan at Leigh.

On 08/08/2019 at 12:53, Dave T said:

Good spot!

Dont know anything about Riley Dean but listed as halfback.

Maybe Livett at 6?

Played his junior football at Siddal in he same team as Morgan Smithies (Wigan), Amir Bourouh (Wigan) and Tom Holroyd (Leeds Rhinos) who have all made their SL debuts this year. Not a surprise that Siddal often dominate at junior level and is just a production machine. Sadly Fax just cant compete with what SL Clubs or even Bradford offer these kids when they sign them.

3 hours ago, FearTheVee said:

In your list is that the same Patton who was dropped and replaced by an experienced former England international and GF / Lance Todd winner?

In that case we were also missing Luke Douglas because he was on loan at Leigh.

I'm not bothered who is in or out. It's your lot moaning.

Add whoever you want to your list of missing players.

Archived