10-11 Aug: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread

11 minutes ago, Londonfan said:

Skolars are back down the bottom of the table which I predicted at the start of the season. Nothing has changed with lack of cohesion as a group and lacking fitness. We would only be in front of Coventry, west wales and crusaders if keighley didn’t lose their points. Another season of failure in my opinion. We were fortunate to have guy armitage today who has been full time  at one of the biggest rugby clubs in Europe otherwise we wouldn’t have got close to Doncaster.

I guess when it comes to Skolars I'm glass half full and you're half empty...If we'd won the two games we lost by one point we would be in the play offs. I do agree we are not playing every game for 80mins but unlike last season we are not collapsing when we go behind as today shows. I've seen plenty of good performances this season, which makes the poor ones more frustrating. I wasn't at the game today but feedback from Don fans on here and Twitter have been positive.

Whether scores are getting closer doesn’t matter we aren’t winning enough games. It’s the same old study every season promise of investment and quality players. This season we poached 3 of west wales Australian players as well as other signings but nothing has changed. We had a couple of wins at the start of the season when we had a car load of Wigan players now they are gone it’s back to losing most weeks.

well done to oldham today, a game of 2 halves, we were great first half, awful second half, hooker keal carlile missed the game today and we missed him bigtime, 3 games left we have coventry home, north wales home and keighley away, 2nd spot is still to play for, come on thunder!

21 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Didn't look like a big crowd, but the PA wasn't working where I was so I don't know if it was given.

21 hours ago, Yorks Tim said:

Bears and Crusaders served up a cracker today despite both teams deleted by injuries etc. Classic game of two halves. Bears defending brilliantly and taking chances but losing two key players before the break.

Crusaders responded well to their interval bollocking and rolled us over in the second half. League 1 rugby league was the winner (he said magnanimously) and everyone went home friends.

Should be an easier game next week at Newcastle...

I thought you were going to pinch it after the first half! No idea what Coach Murray said at half-time but I think he needs to say it before we kick off! A muxch improved second half performance putting the Bears on the back foot throughout the second 40 minutes. 

I hope your No9 recovers he looked a dangerous player and was hobbling even after the game.

Great to see the Bears fans turn up in Wrexham - always great fans. Best of luck for the remainder of the season.

20 hours ago, Londonfan said:

Whether scores are getting closer doesn’t matter we aren’t winning enough games. It’s the same old study every season promise of investment and quality players. This season we poached 3 of west wales Australian players as well as other signings but nothing has changed. We had a couple of wins at the start of the season when we had a car load of Wigan players now they are gone it’s back to losing most weeks.

This year, when Skolars have been poor they have been awful.

However, when they have played well they have won & competed in some very close games against the stronger heartland teams.

They have made good use of DR and I like the fact they ‘keep in the spirit’ of DR using the younger Broncos/Wigan lads.

Their league table position is disappointing, however regular Skolars viewers must admit this year has been much improved on the previous 2 seasons and turned a corner on what was starting to become a worrying plateau/decline in progress.

Hopefully they can finish the season strongly & next year find some much needed consistency.

8 minutes ago, dead man inc said:

This year, when Skolars have been poor they have been awful.

However, when they have played well they have won & competed in some very close games against the stronger heartland teams.

They have made good use of DR and I like the fact they ‘keep in the spirit’ of DR using the younger Broncos/Wigan lads.

Their league table position is disappointing, however regular Skolars viewers must admit this year has been much improved on the previous 2 seasons and turned a corner on what was starting to become a worrying plateau/decline in progress.

Hopefully they can finish the season strongly & next year find some much needed consistency.

Very well put and I completely agree with you.

Not sure why the poor performances occur, particularly those like against Coventry, that follow periods in a single game where we play well. Someone associated with the club, told me it was "confidence". May be we need a sports psychologist to help out. 

If - and its a possibly a big if - we can keep most of this squad and have access to Bronco players then we should build on this next year. The plan was to take two years to get out of L1. (As an aside I have given up hoping to see any money from Argyle).

5 hours ago, EssexRL said:

Very well put and I completely agree with you.

Not sure why the poor performances occur, particularly those like against Coventry, that follow periods in a single game where we play well. Someone associated with the club, told me it was "confidence". May be we need a sports psychologist to help out. 

If - and its a possibly a big if - we can keep most of this squad and have access to Bronco players then we should build on this next year. The plan was to take two years to get out of L1. (As an aside I have given up hoping to see any money from Argyle).

As mentioned in the trade papers this am - Penultimate para - https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/citing-costs-the-toronto-wolfpack-cuts-broadcast-of-2-regular-season-games/ar-AAFufzY

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Archived