Swinton Lions-Will they add the name Manchester into the official name? (MERGED THREADS)

9 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

If you combined the crowd's that Salford, Swinton, Oldham and Rochdale get it isn't enough to fund a good Championship club. Of course Salford struggle on with their SL money but it's hard to see much future for the others, ground problems, reliance on individuals to keep them going, ageing fan base, changing local community with no intrest in the game, all the usual problems that beset our clubs. Time's have changed and RLs best day's have been and gone, to expect 30+ clubs to survive at a semi professional or above standard is unrealistic I'm afraid.

You’re going to disillusion a large proportion of fans from all four clubs and likely lose many, so you’ll be lucky to have a crowd on a similar level to that Salford currently get in Super League. 

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Celtic Roosters said:

Oh my God, that's going to have the Swinton fans up in arms. This is what happens when people who know nothing about the history of RL in these parts start fantasizing. You mention history. How long has Swinton been in Salford? Somebody in a town hall made that decision sometime in the late 60's or early 70's. For centuries before that Salford, Swinton and Manchester were  all separate places in the county of Lancashire. That's as bad to a Swinton fan as telling me that Salford is in Manchester. If Manchester wants a Rugby League club, and it doesn't, let them start their own. Changing the  name of Salford or Swinton to Manchester and re-locating to Manchester would kill off either club.

The few hundred of them that exist, probably. I don’t think anywhere that I’ve suggested they should go to/re-name Manchester. Just responding to the OP. But if they did,  no half measures. As for location, I think you’ll find Swinton as a location was always historically part of the Salfordshire “Hundred” of Lancashire, but for the last 45 years at least in the City of Salford. 

Point is that both clubs appear to be on a not so slow decline. Once the wonderful memories of the 50’s and 60’s have faded with the death of the last fans to have enjoyed watching them then, there’s not going to be many left to hang onto the memories. Keep the clubs as they are, absolutely fine. But you have to wonder what’s left in 10 years. 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

28 minutes ago, Celtic Roosters said:

When are you going to make a start then? They know where the RL clubs are. They would find them if they were interested. no chance of the RFL going out and discovering new talent as there is no funding available for development officers. The development of the game, even in the heartlands, is left mostly to the volunteers at the community clubs. The game is full of people who know exactly what is wrong with the game and what needs to be done but when but won't get off their backsides and do Jack!

Schools for starters

1 hour ago, Celtic Roosters said:

When are you going to make a start then? They know where the RL clubs are. They would find them if they were interested. no chance of the RFL going out and discovering new talent as there is no funding available for development officers. The development of the game, even in the heartlands, is left mostly to the volunteers at the community clubs. The game is full of people who know exactly what is wrong with the game and what needs to be done but when but won't get off their backsides and do Jack!

Disagree, listen to the interview with a bloke from Manchester Rangers on this week’s Total RL Podcast, there is loads of grass roots stuff being done in the City now, eg a league with 7 schools in it this year and a new full time development officer (none of it funded by the RFL obviously). 

Whenever this topic is brought up people start talking about current crowds at Swinton, Salford, Oldham, Rochdale. They talk about how simply changing the name wouldn't add to that and would possibly detract from it.

I don't think for one second that if the Lions were to rebrand in any way, that it would be a standalone action and that anyone at the club is deluded enough to think thousands will suddenly start flocking to games on the back of a name change. Yet this is what people always portray. 

The club is in a stronger place than it was two years ago both on and off the field but it can only be relative baby steps given the circumstances.

On 08/08/2019 at 15:53, Robthegasman said:

Swinton-Manchester Lions

Manchester-Swinton Lions 

Swinton Lions of Manchester 

Swinton Greater Manchester Lions 

Easy enough to say.

After all there are York City Knights And Hull Kingston Rovers so(if it comes to it,if it is agreed etc)Swinton-Manchester Lions Or Manchester-Swinton Lions isn’t too bad and acceptable.

why not just go with Swinton Sales 

13 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

No I don’t think that would be the right name.

ok knock the s off the end or perhaps go with

Swinton-sale lions .  lets fact facts you can stick Manchester in the name but until they actually play in Manchester it will make ###### all difference

On 08/08/2019 at 20:38, Eddie said:

Disagree, listen to the interview with a bloke from Manchester Rangers on this week’s Total RL Podcast, there is loads of grass roots stuff being done in the City now, eg a league with 7 schools in it this year and a new full time development officer (none of it funded by the RFL obviously). 

I would imagine the RFL have help secure the funding, even if it has not come from them directly.

The Manchester Rangers foundation would be talking to the RFL both being based at the regional arena at one point in time.

On 07/08/2019 at 19:35, Robthegasman said:

And let’s not forget many years ago a certain team who I also support relocated from Newton Heath(NE Manchester)moved to Old Trafford(funnily enough in the Trafford Metropolitan Borough since 1974)and totally renamed themselves Manchester United.and they have done well enough.

So surely in the case of Swinton Lions marrying history with the future I think would if it happens work nicely.And could well be successful in it’s own way.

I'm sure loads of folks in Swinton support the Manchester football teams, Why would they object so much to supporting a Manchester RL team?

17 hours ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Swinton’s badge says Manchester

Swinton, Salford and Broughton are the 3 historic Manchester clubs (there were more before the schism inc Moss Side and Hulme)

People in Swinton have as Manc an accent as anyone else in Mancunia

Yes a lot of people in Swinton do indeed have a Manc accent,maybe slightly different than say someone from Burnage or Withington for example but not too far off.

On 10/08/2019 at 12:59, paul hicks said:

ok knock the s off the end or perhaps go with

Swinton-sale lions .  lets fact facts you can stick Manchester in the name but until they actually play in Manchester it will make ###### all difference

Well Manchester United Don’t play in the city of Manchester and that has made no difference to them and I don’t think Nottingham Forest play in the city of Nottingham either.

45 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Deep down most Swinton fans know the Swinton name will be gone in a few weeks. The Manchester Lions will be playing out of the Salford City ground which is much closer to Swinton than Sale

Deep down most Swinton fans know that we will not be coming home,deep down most Swinton fans know that changes are coming but I do not think the board will ever remove the name Swinton from the title.

It could be that one day Salford City FC ground does become a long term home and it is closer to Sale but I personally prefer Sale.

4 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

Well Manchester United Don’t play in the city of Manchester and that has made no difference to them and I don’t think Nottingham Forest play in the city of Nottingham either.

perhaps if hunslet add Leeds to the name that could help them. how about  HUNSLET SOUTH LEEDS HAWKS

35 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

removing Swinton from the name (keep the kit) and moving into the class of 92 stadium will open far more doors than playing out of that hole in Sale, especially when funding is removed

I disagree with removing Swinton from the name,that would be throwing away 150 plus years of proud tradition.I see no problem with keeping the name and adding Manchester in it somewhere.

You may be right that if we did play at Salford City FC that it could open more doors for sponsorship etc.I grant you it is a lot nearer to home.I do accept that Sale FC whilst it is by no means a hole there are things that could and yes should be improved and yes the Shed should be knocked down and replaced with a new possibly seated stand but certainly at the very least a new stand with better terracing and relevant facilities.And yes I would like to see perhaps one day a new seated stand.

Perhaps if Swinton,or whatever they one day become if Manchester is put in the title too were to stay long term there then perhaps Sale FC would be able to get the relevant grants etc to improve that stadium.Time will ultimately tell there.

why not ask what Swinton fans want ? I bet most would be happy with life in the championship . All they really need is a small stadium they can call home . Somewhere in the Swinton area. Why is everybody obsess with creating so called big city clubs . Not every team can play in super league . Plus look when footy tried it with Wimbledon by moving to MK that hasn't worked . Look when both Cardiff and Hull wanted to re brand there fans went against it .  

Chief Crazy Eagle

7 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Deep down most Swinton fans know the Swinton name will be gone in a few weeks. The Manchester Lions will be playing out of the Salford City ground which is much closer to Swinton than Sale

Fascinating. How long before they merge with Salford?

Archived