Swinton Lions-Will they add the name Manchester into the official name? (MERGED THREADS)

I don’t as of yet know the full facts about this but if as I suspect this is the case well I do think that this is inevitable,and if we are honest it has probably been inevitable for a long time.

Whether we like it or not I think the circumstances dictate that this is going to happen.

And let’s face it and especially as the Manchester United fans(and I am one)know Newton Heath was how they started out as before the name change and subsequent move to Old Trafford.It certainly worked for them and it could work for Swinton Lions Maybe soon to be Manchester Lions.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Were the people of Swinton even supporting the club? No!! Then the club directors have every right to do whatever they think is necessary to ensure the club survives. They should move to Gigg Lane. 

Simple answer No even years ago so I believe 

1 hour ago, iffleyox said:

Possibly,

alternatively you've got the merger at around the same time of Hereford and Worcester that was unpicked 30 years later into Herefordshire and Worcestershire again, the eventual re-emergence of Rutland from inside Leicestershire, the residents of Sutton Coldfield who won't believe they're in Birmingham, the persistence of Middlesex as a county despite not having existed for nearly 60 years.... People are a funny lot.

Jury's out on that one I suspect.

On the one hand, you've got gallant folk in Hull and Middlesbrough fighting for years to get back into Yorkshire.  On the other, you've folk claiming "Oh no, we're from Cheshire/Cumbria/Greater Manchester/Merseyside". 

There are still Yorkshire folk today living under the jackboot of occupation by Durham, Cumbria and Greater Manchester.  That "Welcome to Durham" sign on the A66 annoys me no end - no part of Durham is south of the Tees.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

4 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

It's hard to know what the future holds for Swinton as they currently stand though. With the change in funding of the professional game rumoured to be on the horizon, I cannot see Swinton surviving the cut in their current form. They have pretty much peaked as a club in the modern era (which sadly isn't that high). Being cut adrift would likely be catastrophic and could well spell the end for them anyway.

There looks like there could be a huge change in the structure of the game, and chairmen that aren't proactive will be left behind.

Surviving which cut?

I think that a few things have brought it to this.We do not play in Swinton and haven’t done for 27 years.And I don’t think we ever will return sadly.

Then there is the changes that are coming in Rugby League outside Super League where there will in all likelihood be no central funding for clubs like Swinton so in order for them to survive they need to find at least say £350K-£400K(Min)from other sources to not only replace the loss of central funding but to ensure they can stand on their own two feet.Can a stand alone Swinton Lions do that when they play out of town?I doubt it and I question if they could if they still played in Swinton in honesty.They might,they might not.Now as a Manchester club it might bring in new sponsors,more and new support hopefully with the existing support(please don’t turn your backs whatever happens fellow fans)and money but could it be that the possibilities are greater if they were?

Then it also seems that the future of this game,certainly outside of Super League will be more city/city region based so will any new potential competition or their broadcast partners want small town based clubs in it?From what I gather they might not.

So mix those ingredients together and it seems now that the Swinton club has come to a crossroads and a decision and change in honesty needs to happen if the club is to survive.A stand alone Swinton Lions I think sadly in all likelihood would probably die at the end of 2021 or become amateur,a newly named say Manchester Lions might prosper and take off because the name would potentially attract a bigger audience etc etc. Yes it would be a risk but I take a risk every day when I cross the road especially with what I think is gout(not nice)currently in my left ankle that I could misjudge the road and get knocked down,seriously injured or killed,so for Swinton Lions as they currently are which is the bigger risk?Could renaming make the club into something bigger and stronger and one day successful?

I think if we do become Manchester Lions without the Swinton name in it, I don’t necessarily see it as the end as Newton Heath LYR Football Club eventually became Manchester United(my team football wise for my sins and Glazers Out)in 1902 But Newton Heath was always there and will always be a part of it.And I think Swinton will always be a part of any Manchester Lions club/brand.

And if we do become Manchester Lions I will support them as quite honestly if I didn’t I would be a hypocrite as I support Manchester United football wise and I might be all sorts to those who know me for good and bad but I tell you all who read this what I am NOT and that is a hypocrite.

Board statement 

Supporters will be aware of the article in The Sun newspaper this morning, and therefore it’s important that the headline is put into perspective.

Over recent weeks the Board has made it clear, particularly given the financial constraints that are severely impacting on many clubs, uncertainties surrounding the next broadcast deal, as well as the general direction of the sport, that significant changes would need to be made to safeguard the existence and future of the Club.

Last week, before a group of key stakeholders which included the Supporters’ Trust Board, Pride Builder management, Shareholders, Vice Presidents, existing club sponsors, match day volunteers and a selection of life-long supporters, the Board outlined its vision for the future, within a detailed and reasoned explanation of the forces that have driven us to this conclusion.

The response to that consultation was largely positive and understanding. Important feedback was received and that feedback is currently being adapted into a final presentation that will be put in front of the wider fan base within the next few days.

However, it is important to stress that Swinton Lions RLFC Ltd will continue, and to that end we have fought off several attempts at merger which would have signalled the end of the club as an historic entity. ‘Swinton’ will remain prominently on the badge, and we will continue to play at Heywood Road. However, we must also seek to exploit the advantages that a trading name, instantly recognisable across the world, will give us. We see our history and heritage as non-negotiable, but we are at a crossroads in the sport and the Club has to evolve to survive and thrive into the future.

5 minutes ago, Pie tries said:

Good.

move out of the dump that is Sale and go to the MR stadium.

manchester lions - you have better future ahead of you than the current flow death

"They will still play at Sale RU’s Heywood Road ground."

25 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

I think that a few things have brought it to this.We do not play in Swinton and haven’t done for 27 years.And I don’t think we ever will return sadly.

Then there is the changes that are coming in Rugby League outside Super League where there will in all likelihood be no central funding for clubs like Swinton so in order for them to survive they need to find at least say £350K-£400K(Min)from other sources to not only replace the loss of central funding but to ensure they can stand on their own two feet.Can a stand alone Swinton Lions do that when they play out of town?I doubt it and I question if they could if they still played in Swinton in honesty.They might,they might not.Now as a Manchester club it might bring in new sponsors,more and new support hopefully with the existing support(please don’t turn your backs whatever happens fellow fans)and money but could it be that the possibilities are greater if they were?

Then it also seems that the future of this game,certainly outside of Super League will be more city/city region based so will any new potential competition or their broadcast partners want small town based clubs in it?From what I gather they might not.

So mix those ingredients together and it seems now that the Swinton club has come to a crossroads and a decision and change in honesty needs to happen if the club is to survive.A stand alone Swinton Lions I think sadly in all likelihood would probably die at the end of 2021 or become amateur,a newly named say Manchester Lions might prosper and take off because the name would potentially attract a bigger audience etc etc. Yes it would be a risk but I take a risk every day when I cross the road especially with what I think is gout(not nice)currently in my left ankle that I could misjudge the road and get knocked down,seriously injured or killed,so for Swinton Lions as they currently are which is the bigger risk?Could renaming make the club into something bigger and stronger and one day successful?

I think if we do become Manchester Lions without the Swinton name in it, I don’t necessarily see it as the end as Newton Heath LYR Football Club eventually became Manchester United(my team football wise for my sins and Glazers Out)in 1902 But Newton Heath was always there and will always be a part of it.And I think Swinton will always be a part of any Manchester Lions club/brand.

And if we do become Manchester Lions I will support them as quite honestly if I didn’t I would be a hypocrite as I support Manchester United football wise and I might be all sorts to those who know me for good and bad but I tell you all who read this what I am NOT and that is a hypocrite.

That's a very well reasoned assessment of the position/dilemma of a fan of a 'less fashionable' club.

I think the expulsion of Bury from the EFL very much brings the future prospects of smaller clubs into focus, and may indeed cause a number of Swinton fans to be a little more accepting of the change of name.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Board statement 

[Snip]

However, it is important to stress that Swinton Lions RLFC Ltd will continue, and to that end we have fought off several attempts at merger which would have signalled the end of the club as an historic entity. ‘Swinton’ will remain prominently on the badge, and we will continue to play at Heywood Road. However, we must also seek to exploit the advantages that a trading name, instantly recognisable across the world, will give us. We see our history and heritage as non-negotiable, but we are at a crossroads in the sport and the Club has to evolve to survive and thrive into the future.

That basically reads as "we could have merged to become Manchester, but we'll go it alone as Manchester to keep our heritage." Out of the two options, that was the better one for fans.

If Swinton fans want a Swinton named club, it will likely only be in the amateur league. In its current form, it will not last long in the new professional era.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

For this to work, the Lions need to engage with business groups and universities in Manchester, preferably the old Rangers board too, and ideally look to move to the Regional Arena. Just a change of name will not achieve anything.

Ill be interested in how it plays out, it’s certainly a bold move and probably needed

1 minute ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

That basically reads as "we could have merged to become Manchester, but we'll go it alone as Manchester to keep our heritage." Out of the two options, that was the better one for fans.

If Swinton fans want a Swinton named club, it will likely only be in the amateur league. In its current form, it will not last long in the new professional era.

Spot on bud.

9 hours ago, RugbyLeagueMan said:

It's not about the 'City of Manchester', it's about the Manchester City Region, two different things! The MCR encompasses the traditional city of Manchester boundaries plus the other 10 boroughs to make up 'Manchester'. It's the direct the city/region is going whether traditionalists who are stuck in 1978 like it or not...

1978 wasn’t a bad year.Queen brought out the excellent”Jazz”album ?

2 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

I have noted and clocked that it seems to be fans from other clubs who agree with what is being proposed.Do they see something others don’t see?

In fairness, it's easier for fans from other clubs to say it would be a good idea to do x, y and z, but when it's your own club it's not always the same.

I've been asked about a Hull merger plenty of times, and my response has always been "we don't need to, we're pretty successful already." However, should a time come where Hull FC and KR are so far behind the leaders (leagues behind), with not much sight of ever coming back, bouncing around from area to area, I'd certainly consider if pooling our resources would be a better option and not hold it against them.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

9 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Hunslet directors weren't considering becoming Leeds Hawks or South Leeds Hawks - maybe not Hawks after the fan vote to drop it, but they are in a similar predicament to Swinton.

It might well make sense for Hunslet to rebrand on the field as South Leeds.

7 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

In fairness, it's easier for fans from other clubs to say it would be a good idea to do x, y and z, but when it's your own club it's not always the same.

I've been asked about a Hull merger plenty of times, and my response has always been "we don't need to, we're pretty successful already." However, should a time come where Hull FC and KR are so far behind the leaders (leagues behind), with not much sight of ever coming back, bouncing around from area to area, I'd certainly consider if pooling our resources would be a better option and not hold it against them.

I go along with that.

7 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Board statement 

Supporters will be aware of the article in The Sun newspaper this morning, and therefore it’s important that the headline is put into perspective.

Over recent weeks the Board has made it clear, particularly given the financial constraints that are severely impacting on many clubs, uncertainties surrounding the next broadcast deal, as well as the general direction of the sport, that significant changes would need to be made to safeguard the existence and future of the Club.

Last week, before a group of key stakeholders which included the Supporters’ Trust Board, Pride Builder management, Shareholders, Vice Presidents, existing club sponsors, match day volunteers and a selection of life-long supporters, the Board outlined its vision for the future, within a detailed and reasoned explanation of the forces that have driven us to this conclusion.

The response to that consultation was largely positive and understanding. Important feedback was received and that feedback is currently being adapted into a final presentation that will be put in front of the wider fan base within the next few days.

So basically no real change other than sticking Manchester in their name, a typical Rugby League quick fix there. A club called Manchester playing in the lower leagues at Heywood Road won't appeal to anyone extra.

All the while an actual club called Manchester and based in Manchester at a decent stadium gets screwed.

50 minutes ago, Damien said:

So basically no real change other than sticking Manchester in their name, a typical Rugby League quick fix there. A club called Manchester playing in the lower leagues at Heywood Road won't appeal to anyone extra.

All the while an actual club called Manchester and based in Manchester at a decent stadium gets screwed.

Do remember a few weeks ago I called a Swinton board member out on here for making uncalled for inaccurate and negative comments about Manchester Rangers?   

Especially as the League Express had ran the story so the facts were out there.

My issue was I felt it was a pretty poor thing for a club official to do.  

He responded with a personal and angry attack on me.

Well, well .........

Archived