Swinton Lions-Will they add the name Manchester into the official name? (MERGED THREADS)

57 minutes ago, Damien said:

So basically no real change other than sticking Manchester in their name, a typical Rugby League quick fix there. A club called Manchester playing in the lower leagues at Heywood Road won't appeal to anyone extra.

All the while an actual club called Manchester and based in Manchester at a decent stadium gets screwed.

Driven away serious investors in Manchester by the shoddy way they got treated.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seem to remember that Swinton grabbed the name Manchester during the Mo's combine every club but a few phase all those years ago. I think the then chaiman did so they wouldn't get stuffed in the process and when I saw the thread I did wonder if he helc it still or the club did?

8 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

He responded with a personal and angry attack on me.

Well you're from Salford can you blame him?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

6 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Surely a merged thread is coming?

Just to make sure it does

I seem to remember that Swinton grabbed the name Manchester during the Mo's combine every club but a few phase all those years ago. I think the then chaiman did so they wouldn't get stuffed in the process and when I saw the thread I did wonder if he held it still or the club did?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

6 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

I foresee Heywood Road being improved and yes it does need improving.

It s already one of the best grounds outside Superleague. I agree it could be improved but so could most other RL (and RU) grounds.

12 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Well you're from Salford can you blame him?

Guilty as charged.

Or is it Trafford or Manchester, ? 

People seem very confused with geography. 

I grew up with map geography or "Fake Geography" as some call it now.

Interesting you mention Uncle Mo's master plan with his apprentice at the helm at Super League.

Pretty sure this is phase one of the Manchester "super club"  roll up with Oldham merged into Manchester Lions before the dropping of League One.

The story in the League Express that Rangers got the option to merge with Swinton and Oldham by the RFL would strongly hint that they have both been circled for mergers by the powers that be.

Guessing someone had the idea to drop the story while Bury and Bolton would be consuming all the media attention in Greater Manchester.

19 minutes ago, bazzzz65 said:

It s already one of the best grounds outside Superleague. I agree it could be improved but so could most other RL (and RU) grounds.

Absolutely.And maybe with a long term rugby league team playing there it could allow Sale FC access to grants etc to improve the stadium.

32 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

If that happens yes.Sale FC have done well out of us as the rent paid along with the bar profits have helped pay for the improvements at their club house.

It's a pity it's not much benefit to Swinton or Rugby League.

8 hours ago, DoubleD said:

For this to work, the Lions need to engage with business groups and universities in Manchester, preferably the old Rangers board too, and ideally look to move to the Regional Arena. Just a change of name will not achieve anything.

Ill be interested in how it plays out, it’s certainly a bold move and probably needed

Absolutely. As IffleyOx has said the RU club Moseley tried the same thing with Birmingham and it didn't work. 

They have to focus on engaging the Manchester audience.

19 hours ago, DoubleD said:

For this to work, the Lions need to engage with business groups and universities in Manchester, preferably the old Rangers board too, and ideally look to move to the Regional Arena. Just a change of name will not achieve anything.

Ill be interested in how it plays out, it’s certainly a bold move and probably needed

No chance anyone from the old Rangers board wants to be involved with Rugby League.

People have lost a small fortune on a project that looks like the RFL never had any intention of letting them be the Manchester club in the professional game. 

Putting them in the same room as the Swinton board would be a very bad idea.

On 29/08/2019 at 01:09, Wellsy4HullFC said:

That basically reads as "we could have merged to become Manchester, but we'll go it alone as Manchester to keep our heritage." Out of the two options, that was the better one for fans.

If Swinton fans want a Swinton named club, it will likely only be in the amateur league. In its current form, it will not last long in the new professional era.

Was it the best option for the fans?

Or is it a case people on the board don't want to give up power.

They couldn't see the issue was not the club name, but the quality of people running the club.

(Not like this scenario is new to rugby league)

Its unbelievable the board that nearly took them out of business, is still more or less the same people there now.

People refer to them as saviours.

Could be what has happened is that the board began to start seeing the club as their own personal property.

Very human to get controlling when people get power for any length of time.

One of the reasons we have term limits for political leaders.

Should have them in the RFL at the top.

It will take more than a name change to save the Lions long term and for them to ever grow into a club that represents Manchester, but considering they have been living outside of Swinton since 92 (correct me if it's later), arguably the new name is more a truer reflection of where they now represent and play.

If nothing else it allows them the opportunity to focus on saving and growing the club versus always trying to find a way to 'get home' which is what it has felt like the club has been trying to do as long as I've known about them.

At least now they can draw a bit of a line in the sand and say, whilst we know our history is from Swinton, but we see our future being bigger than that and move forward, whatever that looks like.

From a marketing angle, the combination of the new name, logo, colour scheme and the 150+ yrs of history actually gives them a great brand to push to market, just whether they can find the right people to help them leverage that.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

9 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

From a marketing angle, the combination of the new name, logo, colour scheme and the 150+ yrs of history actually gives them a great brand to push to market, just whether they can find the right people to help them leverage that.

From an outsiders view I think a lot of people would agree with what you said. Line in the sand, moving on to bigger and better future etc. 

My major concern is the above, if as I suspect Manchester Rangers were dropped so Swinton could become Manchester Lions then they have to prove that was the right decision. I'm massively wary as to whether they are capable both in terms of ability and finances to leverage the new name and take the opportunities that come with it or whether it will just be a case of "we're called Manchester now! Why aren't loads of people turning up to watch?"

I certainly think Manchester Rangers could have been a success story. Swinton/Manchester Lions HAVE to live up to and supersede that to justify the decision to drop the former and their substantial investors.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

From an outsiders view I think a lot of people would agree with what you said. Line in the sand, moving on to bigger and better future etc. 

My major concern is the above, if as I suspect Manchester Rangers were dropped so Swinton could become Manchester Lions then they have to prove that was the right decision. I'm massively wary as to whether they are capable both in terms of ability and finances to leverage the new name and take the opportunities that come with it or whether it will just be a case of "we're called Manchester now! Why aren't loads of people turning up to watch?"

I certainly think Manchester Rangers could have been a success story. Swinton/Manchester Lions HAVE to live up to and supersede that to justify the decision to drop the former and their substantial investors.

What would be the problem having 2 teams with the first name Manchester playing in League 1 or the Championship? and I'm not trying to score points of off of you.

4 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

What would be the problem having 2 teams with the first name Manchester playing in League 1 or the Championship? and I'm not trying to score points of off of you.

There's limited funding. They aren't going to introduce a new club representing "the same area" in their name if they don't have the cash for it.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

4 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

It certainly shouldn't be a problem. Both teams were in different areas and Manchester is certainly big enough to attract from different areas. Give both teams a chance to building from the ground up, and a healthy rivalry can be very beneficial, and see which one rises to the top.

3 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Personally I see little, especially if the Swinton version were to continue playing out of Sale whilst the Rangers were based out of the 'Baby Etihad'. I guess the advantages of Swinton taking up the Manchester name would be negated somewhat however. 

1 hour ago, Damien said:

It certainly shouldn't be a problem. Both teams were in different areas and Manchester is certainly big enough to attract from different areas. Give both teams a chance to building from the ground up, and a healthy rivalry can be very beneficial, and see which one rises to the top.

One played in Manchester, the other one doesn't!

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

It explains the refusal from the RFL to Rangers become Salford's reserve team, using Manchester in the name.

Clearly had other plans for the use of the Manchester name at the start of the year.

1 hour ago, RugbyLeagueMan said:

If and as Swinton/Mcr Lions progress, the 15K stadium at the Manchester Sporting Precinct would be a far better and high profile location?

Which stadium is this? Do you have a link? 

Swinton said that they would be targeting South Manchester as a supporter area 

Archived