Swinton Lions-Will they add the name Manchester into the official name? (MERGED THREADS)

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/08/2019 at 13:23, sweaty craiq said:

Deep down most Swinton fans know the Swinton name will be gone in a few weeks. The Manchester Lions will be playing out of the Salford City ground which is much closer to Swinton than Sale

Swinton used to play at Moor Lane. 

Salford City FC don't want and won't have any ties with Rugby League. 

On 14/08/2019 at 15:50, Celtic Roosters said:

Sale is in Cheshire and Manchester is in Lancashire - not even in the same Counties.

Sale was in Cheshire as a Municipal Borough until 1974 when it became part of Trafford along with Altrincham and Partington,which became the new County of Greater Manchester.Sale of course has a Manchester post code and I will hazard a guess that many in Sale class themselves as Manchester even if it is not the city of Manchester,though that was the original plan along with I might add Swinton as per the Redcliffe Maud Report 1966-1969,just after Greater London was born in 1965

So therefore I suggest as a Swinton Lions fan that if the club did decide to add Manchester into the official name,there would actually be no betrayal of any sort whatsoever.

On 14/08/2019 at 15:54, RugbyLeagueMan said:

Used to be. Like England no longer being a standalone nation for over 300 years, the UK has moved on with most traditional county boundaries.
I look forward to the Manchester City Region to administer all metropolitan districts that are currently swallowed up in administrative mess.
Most Sale residents identify themselves as Manchester. Perhaps ask them?

That is true.And see my previous comments about the boundaries since 1974.

1 hour ago, Robthegasman said:

That is true.And see my previous comments about the boundaries since 1974.

I was born when Sale was in Cheshire and Manchester was in Lancashire. My Dad was born in Carrington, Cheshire. I was born in Salford, Lancashire. I am a traditionalist. I refuse to recognise new boundaries that are created just to suit somebody sat a desk in a town hall. Therefore, Sale is in Cheshire ans Manchester is in Lancashire, as is Liverpool. Yes, I know that most people born before 1974 in Sale identify as being in Manchester. That makes no difference to me.

24 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

The owners of Salford City, bar one, all have links to RL to varying degrees.

Which is the one?

Peter Lim
Phil Neville
Gary Neville
Nicky Butt
Paul Scholes
Ryan Giggs
David Beckham

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

On Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 10:48, RugbyLeagueMan said:

Manchester - Swinton Lions could work.

Sale is a Manchester suburb, so the Manc base is covered.

Sale Sharks fans sing "We 're just a small town in Cheshire". So they don t identify themselves as Mancs. Neither do I as a Salfordian!! 

54 minutes ago, Celtic Roosters said:

I was born when Sale was in Cheshire and Manchester was in Lancashire. My Dad was born in Carrington, Cheshire. I was born in Salford, Lancashire. I am a traditionalist. I refuse to recognise new boundaries that are created just to suit somebody sat a desk in a town hall. Therefore, Sale is in Cheshire ans Manchester is in Lancashire, as is Liverpool. Yes, I know that most people born before 1974 in Sale identify as being in Manchester. That makes no difference to me.

I very much feel the same about the 'new' boundaries - and no doubt your birth certificate show the County of Lancaster.

6 hours ago, Celtic Roosters said:

I was born in 1972 in Salford,Lancashire even though Salford didn’t come under the due restriction of the County Council.It was a County Borough yet the neighbouring towns like Swinton were Urban Districts But came under the due restriction of Lancashire County Council so I can understand why the boundaries were changed after reading up a bit on the subject especially where Lancashire was concerned.

And regarding Greater Manchester I believe again from reading up about it that it was always going to be created one way or another,just like Greater London was.

8 hours ago, RugbyLeagueMan said:

It makes perfect sense to keep all of the suburban and urban parts of 'Manchester' as one. Why split them up just as they they to do with the country?
The satellite towns over the years have now merged into one big urban mass. This is how cities organically grow worldwide.

manchester-3d-render-satellite-view-topographic-map-horizontal-frank-ramspott.jpg

That is an excellent picture.

And that is why I think Swinton Lions will soon incorporate Manchester in it’s name

2 hours ago, RugbyLeagueMan said:

It make sense.

Yes I think it does.I accept that as we are right now as Swinton Lions,we might not be around for much longer especially when the current funding from the current TV Deal is gone.And let’s face it when we see what has happened at Bradford(who I carry no flame for)with crowds that Swinton Lions would die for then that tells us a story.

1 hour ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Its in Trafford.

Yes Sale does come under Trafford but many class it as part of the Manchester area,region nevertheles.

And if it wasn’t for Ted Heath winning the 1970 election Sale as well As Swinton would have been under the boundaries of the city of Manchester by 1971 or 1972.

6 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

Yes Sale does come under Trafford but many class it as part of the Manchester area,region nevertheles.

And if it wasn’t for Ted Heath winning the 1970 election Sale as well As Swinton would have been under the boundaries of the city of Manchester by 1971 or 1972.

No, none of that is true.

As they’re all in the same conurbation all the Greater Manchester clubs should put Manchester in their name; you’d have Oldham Manchester, Rochdale Manchester, Swinton Manchester, Salford Manchester and maybe even Wigan Manchester. It would be great, everyone in Manchester and Stockport would pick a team and grounds would be bursting at the seams. 

On 16/08/2019 at 07:14, RugbyLeagueMan said:

It makes perfect sense to keep all of the suburban and urban parts of 'Manchester' as one. Why split them up just as they they to do with the country?
The satellite towns over the years have now merged into one big urban mass. This is how cities organically grow worldwide.

manchester-3d-render-satellite-view-topographic-map-horizontal-frank-ramspott.jpg

Where are you from?

Clearly not from the locale if you think places like Bolton are giving up their identity to become Mancunians.

7 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueMan said:

Administratively yes, physically it's suburban Manchester. Most cities around the world are broken up into shires, regions, districts, towns etc...pretty common in Australian cities.

or Salford if you go down that route.

At the time trafford was nearly put under Salford when the boundaries were drew up.

The ship canal seen as a natural boundary.

Salford and Manchester as cities are next to each other to the point Salford lacks a distinctive city centre.

6 hours ago, RugbyLeagueMan said:

spacer.png

Where I'm from is irrelevant but the satellite picture tells thew story. Manchester is being currently developed into the UK's second city. Look at all the high rise building activity to prove.
A great change for rugby league to finally have a go at pushing itself into new communities and demography in the city region.

6-E6-EDD3-A-6-C82-46-E6-8396-A01-FE1-FEE52-D.jpg

Nicely sidestepped, but proved my assertion and other points.

I've finished with this thread and am seriously thinking of finishing with Rugby League altogether. The game has been taken over by fantasists (certainly these forums) and idiots who want to talk persistently about things they know nothing about. Its like a boil on my ######. It annoys me so much but I can't leave it alone. For God's sake ban me.

2 hours ago, Celtic Roosters said:

I've finished with this thread and am seriously thinking of finishing with Rugby League altogether. The game has been taken over by fantasists (certainly these forums) and idiots who want to talk persistently about things they know nothing about. Its like a boil on my ######. It annoys me so much but I can't leave it alone. For God's sake ban me.

You know you love it really! 

Archived