Sign in to follow this  
nadera78

Transgender Players

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

I just don't think these kind of arguments are helpful. It makes a bit of a mockery of an extremely complex issue tbh.

In the nonsense case you highlight, you are eligible, you just aren't talented enough.

I could well be talented enough but can't compete just because my legs won't move as fast.

Paralympian Johnny Peacock has talent but, in the same way, he just can't run as fast as Usain Bolt.

Edited by RL does what Sky says

21 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

I could well be talented enough but can't compete just because my legs won't move as fast.

Paralympian Johnny Peacock has talent but, in the same way, he just can't run as fast as Usain Bolt.

As I say, nonsense argument do a dis-service to this debate and the complexity of the issue.

On 29/08/2019 at 18:18, Bedford Roughyed said:

What happens to the had's but now haven't?  Or the didn't but now does?

well if you had it but don't have it now then surely you are now a haven't 

44 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Yet suppose a 17-stone prop forward with muscles to match makes the change in his early 20s ?

I would say it's where you begin not where you finish !

Under the most recent study i saw on ageing and health - they were saying people who were fit in their teens but then became inactive, if they started exercising in their 40's their bodies responded better to that training (in terms of fitness levels) than a similar person who had not been fit in their teens. It appears there was a "memory" in the tissues

So I guess much the same as the argument that if someone has been a drug cheat with steroids even if they have been clean a couple of years they have already seen the benefit the same could be said of a he to she trans player who transitioned after they had done all their initial growth and strength training. BUT as i think we are talking about vanishingly small numbers of possible players, I see no issue with it as a blanket rule and would happily see it dealt with on a per player basis. If for example your 17 st prop was an ex U19 SL academy player who transitioned and came back into the game as a female player, then I would ask an independent body to carry out a risk assessment for the other players in the league and agree to be bound by that

Edited by SSoutherner

17 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Under the most recent study i saw on ageing and health - they were saying people who were fit in their teens but then became inactive, if they started exercising in their 40's their bodies responded better to that training (in terms of fitness levels) than a similar person who had not been fit in their teens. It appears there was a "memory" in the tissues

So I guess much the same as the argument that if someone has been a drug cheat with steroids even if they have been clean a couple of years they have already seen the benefit the same could be said of a he to she trans player who transitioned after they had done all their initial growth and strength training. BUT as i think we are talking about vanishingly small numbers of possible players, I see no issue with it as a blanket rule and would happily see it dealt with on a per player basis. If for example your 17 st prop was an ex U19 SL academy player who transitioned and came back into the game as a female player, then I would ask an independent body to carry out a risk assessment for the other players in the league and agree to be bound by that

Yes I realise there are lots of complexities and that not everyone will always be satisfied with any ruling.

The problem is that if you allow one separate section to be catered for then there are always others who want to be treated in the same way or even sub-sections of the original who claim to be slightly different to the main group.

Our male and female teams play separately purely because of their gender, so why not have the same ruling applied to those who want to be known as transgenders and let them form their own separate teams ?  However, even doing that might cause the question of do you then have men-to-women's teams as well as women to-men's teams ?

Somewhere along the line there would have to be (yes, I know this is a bad pun) a cut-off point !