Match Thread: Featherstone Rovers v Swinton Sunday 11th August 2019

So the equation is getting easier to work out now. Four games to go, two wins guarantees us top 5, four wins gives us a shot at 2nd or 3rd depending on other results.

Swinton up next. Traditionally a game we'd chalk up as a comfortable win, but they are getting plenty of publicity as one of the form sides in the division, having beaten Toulouse, drawn at Bradford and gone down by just a point at Leigh. they have eyes on a top 8 finish, and will be coming over determined to get the 2 points. They were quite impressive and speedy-looking against Leigh just judged on the highlights. Someone on the general forum suggests that Wigan may have withdrawn their DR players this week but I don't know if that's true.

If they perform as they have recently, we will need to be better than we have in the last couple of weeks to win. In particular, we can't afford a repeat of the 6 or 7 times we turned the ball over in our own 30 as happened last week.

With the transfer deadline tomorrow, it will be interesting to see if we have any more activity in the next 24 hours, or if we stand pat. Hardcastle is still suspended this week, but Cooper and Ormondroyd will be itching to get a recall.

In the backs, Johnson and Render will presumably continue on the wings. Conor Carey missed a couple of tackles last week but whether that leads to a recall for Teteh remains to be seen, Carey had generally been solid previously. McLelland played well last week and presumably will continue alongside Chisholm unless a rabbit is pulled from the hat prior to the transfer deadline.

I think most of us were a bit surprised that Connor Jones didn't get on the field last week. It seems clear that Carr doesn't like using 2 of his 8 interchanges on switching hookers, but King seems to have to pace himself when he's playing 80 minutes, not surprisingly given his tacking workload - can't recall a scoot from dummy half last week. I'd like to see Jones get 30 minutes this week, but maybe that doesn't fit in with Carr's interchange plans. 

Squad announced: Thompson Teteh, Conor Carey, Cameron King, Brad Day, James Lockwood, John Davies, Luke Cooper, James Harrison, Makahesi Makatoa, Jack Render Josh Walters, Jack Ormondroyd, Alex Sutcliffe, Ash Golding, Callum McLelland, Dane Chisholm, Wellington Albert, Connor Jones, Jack Johnson

No real surprises - Render for Briscoe and Ormondroyd in place of Wheeldon the changes from last week's 19 .

3 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

And before you ask, jamescolin, I have no idea how they will line up. ?

With LTS comments I think I can work it out: Golding, Johnson, Carey, Sutcliffe, Render, Chisholm , McLelland, Ormondroyd, King, Albert, Day, Walters, Lockwood. Subs Davies, Jones, Makatoa, Harrison. Cooper and TT miss out.  Win by 28-14. Albert MOM followed by McLelland and King. Jones to get a run after half time.  Sorry if I got entrenched by your humour. As you were used to going over the top perhaps you should be the goal kicker.? . I have had a word with your superiors and you are going to be subject to some corporal punishment even though you are only a Private. With Rick being part of your name perhaps it is appropriate that you are corny. Perhaps when I see you I should say 'HAY UP'.

5 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

With LTS comments I think I can work it out: Golding, Johnson, Carey, Sutcliffe, Render, Chisholm , McLelland, Ormondroyd, King, Albert, Day, Walters, Lockwood. Subs Davies, Jones, Makatoa, Harrison. Cooper and TT miss out.  Win by 28-14. Albert MOM followed by McLelland and King. Jones to get a run after half time.  Sorry if I got entrenched by your humour. As you were used to going over the top perhaps you should be the goal kicker.? . I have had a word with your superiors and you are going to be subject to some corporal punishment even though you are only a Private. With Rick being part of your name perhaps it is appropriate that you are corny. Perhaps when I see you I should say 'HAY UP'.

It's HEY up! 

28 minutes ago, Blue Pike said:

Does anyone know if Swinton are playing without their Wigan players tomorrow and how they are looking strength wise ?.

Comparing their team from the Leigh game to the squad announced on the RFL website it is pretty much the same squad, with their Wigan DR players in, contrary to what some Swinton fans have said on other forum threads. 

This scenario is similar to the Widnes home game- Playing against a side who on current form are much better than their league position. Rovers have done extremely well at home in "big games" this season and need to get into the "big game" mindset. Ryan will have to pick the strongest line-up available to him so don't blame him if your favourite is left out.

2 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

Comparing their team from the Leigh game to the squad announced on the RFL website it is pretty much the same squad, with their Wigan DR players in, contrary to what some Swinton fans have said on other forum threads. 

does it really matter if wigan lads play 3 young lads kibula mullen and shorrocks all household names  other one   hankison played last night for wigan  so doubt if he'll  make the cut

sunday is  all down to our attitude 

2 hours ago, POR said:

does it really matter if wigan lads play 3 young lads kibula mullen and shorrocks all household names  other one   hankison played last night for wigan  so doubt if he'll  make the cut

sunday is  all down to our attitude 

I obviously think regarding the Wigan players that if they don’t play we have a better chance of winning the game regardless of us being DR with Leeds.Am I wrong in thinking this,if so will you expand.

1 hour ago, wasginger said:

I don't think the coach or players are focusing on what players Swinton play, they'll be concentrating on making sure we're ready to play to the structures, and more importantly they have the right attitude to win this game.

True but I believe it’s better motivation to reach your goal in having a weaker side to beat  than a strong one don’t you think.

1 hour ago, Blue Pike said:

True but I believe it’s better motivation to reach your goal in having a weaker side to beat  than a strong one don’t you think.

No motivation is more likely to be affected the opposite way that you state. See for example Rovers v Hull May 1983 and more recently Rovers v Dewsbury March 2019 and Rovers v Barrow June 2019.

Archived