Women's Super League - Missed opportunity?

I think we can all agree it's great how the women's game is growing, and with a good standard of competition.

What I'm questioning however, is the decision to link to the Super League clubs.

Before you reply, I understand the pros of doing so. Attracting women who want to play for the clubs they know, matching fans of those clubs to different version of the sport etc.

But with the game looking to expand, and these essentially being rebranded clubs or brand new clubs that are using the same players (to start with) to relaunch, could it have been a missed opportunity?

The women's Super League could have been a road test for big city teams, with little to no risk, and massive potential.

It could have been a league involving big northern/midland cities to start with for eg. Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Coventry, Nottingham, etc.

As it took off and attracted money and sponsorship more big cities could have been added according to logistical and financial viability.

It could have been a great tester for future expansion. Well I think so anyway. 

21 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

How many girls/women in “Liverpool, Manchester, London, Birmingham, Coventry, Nottingham etc” are playing Rugby League in schools in the first place?It won’t be a massive amount and it was right to connect to teams in towns with Rugby League history and traditions. 

As far as I can tell they’ve uprooted players from other clubs and rebranded reformed as other teams anyway.

if it had been sold to them as the reason why was it could be bigger and give them a bigger profile then those same players could’ve represented different cities o encourage that development.

4 minutes ago, BenGilesRL said:

As far as I can tell they’ve uprooted players from other clubs and rebranded reformed as other teams anyway.

if it had been sold to them as the reason why was it could be bigger and give them a bigger profile then those same players could’ve represented different cities o encourage that development.

You think Thatto Heath players who are now Saints players should have been uprooted to say Manchester or Coventry? You know they’re part time, right?

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

It's a stupid idea, your talking about players who are basically amateurs playing in Coventry, Birmingham, Nottingham, even if they train  locally what connection do they have to those areas, and with the exception to a couple of hundred in Coventry what does anybody in those areas care about the game.

Another kite flying exercise, once I too used to think that the game would sometime be a National sport enjoyed World Wide, years and year's of following it soon knocked those ideas on the head, a sharp dose of reality is what the game really needs, consolidation of a small amount of what we already have is the best that can be hoped for, if you disagree show me the competent, achieving administrator's that are going to take the game forward?

3 hours ago, BenGilesRL said:

I think we can all agree it's great how the women's game is growing, and with a good standard of competition.

What I'm questioning however, is the decision to link to the Super League clubs.

Before you reply, I understand the pros of doing so. Attracting women who want to play for the clubs they know, matching fans of those clubs to different version of the sport etc.

But with the game looking to expand, and these essentially being rebranded clubs or brand new clubs that are using the same players (to start with) to relaunch, could it have been a missed opportunity?

The women's Super League could have been a road test for big city teams, with little to no risk, and massive potential.

It could have been a league involving big northern/midland cities to start with for eg. Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Coventry, Nottingham, etc.

As it took off and attracted money and sponsorship more big cities could have been added according to logistical and financial viability.

How much coaching staff do these areas have available? 

6 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Your mistake is the idea that consolidation protects what we have. It doesn't. It guarantees a managed decline. 

A mismanaged decline is the best we can hope for I'm afraid☹️

9 hours ago, Clogiron said:

A mismanaged decline is the best we can hope for I'm afraid☹️

There's a huge swathe of supporters the world over, who are simply unwilling to accept a managed (even less a mismanaged) decline. You might be content with it, but i'm not.

15 hours ago, BenGilesRL said:

This is just "Dublin's a big place, let's put a team there, people will watch it" handed over to an even less able-to-deliver section of the game than Super League.

The players, volunteers and supporters of women's rugby league are all in the traditional areas. We might wish that that weren't the case but we can't magically bend reality to a fantasy.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, fighting irish said:

There's a huge swathe of supporters the world over, who are simply unwilling to accept a managed (even less a mismanaged) decline. You might be content with it, but i'm not.

Good for you, as for me any hopes or faith I had in the game diminishes with each stupid decision the administrators take like this weeks binning of Catalan's TV coverage ??

I think the aligning with the Super League clubs allowed the players the opportunity to play at stadia which would allow most followers of the game the opportunity to locate the stadia - not the case,very often,with stadia outside of Super League,which are often difficult to find.

Also,better training and changing facilities - as well as better facilities for family crowds.

The sport of rugby league has shrinking participation and limited stadia of decent quality.

Seems a wise move to me.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

So we now expect people who are involved in the sport on a professional level whom are giving up there free time to make Womens SL happen to now also travel to and from random big city areas to conduct training and matches... ..the reason 3 teams are in one area is because there's just enough qualified coaches and backroom staff to make it happen in those areas......none in the areas people are dreaming of......

Archived