CC final attendance

What is regarded as a satisfactory final attendance? Looking at the ticketmaster map, it’s likely to be about 65k. Lower tier holds 40k, middle 10k & upper 40k. I assume that the bulk of tickets are now sold and sales will be fairly slow now as most fans have what they want. South upper not on sale yet, that holds 20k. 

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

65K would be failure, if we had 50K last year (putting aside the argument about whether there were actually 50K there)

We've, in effect, replaced Catalans with St Helens. If we only get 15K more, given that St Helens are a well-supported club who haven't been to Wembley for a decade, then how could that really be progress from last year?

2 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I’d take 65k+ plus but a game of this standard between the two best sides in the northern hemisphere at present should  be looking at 70-75k, with the right people promoting the game. 

Who's playing in place of Warrington?

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

1 minute ago, paulwalker71 said:

65K would be failure, if we had 50K last year (putting aside the argument about whether there were actually 50K there)

We've, in effect, replaced Catalans with St Helens. If we only get 15K more, given that St Helens are a well-supported club who haven't been to Wembley for a decade, then how could that really be progress from last year?

I’m not sure how a 30% uplift isn’t seen as a success?

You’re basing your figures also on Warrington taking the same number of fans. They may, they may not, having played in Perpignan a couple of weeks previously. 

Also, given the game’s lack of an advertising push and the fiasco over bonds, Super League breaking away etc, I’m not sure how many neutral’s you’ll get attending. 

the CCF will not get the big gates in August with rail effected badly every year - the neutrals have much more to do with it being the last weeks of the school holidays etc. If we hit 65k this year then a more favourable calendar slot with similar teams hit 80k

57 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I’m not sure how a 30% uplift isn’t seen as a success?

You’re basing your figures also on Warrington taking the same number of fans. They may, they may not, having played in Perpignan a couple of weeks previously. 

Also, given the game’s lack of an advertising push and the fiasco over bonds, Super League breaking away etc, I’m not sure how many neutral’s you’ll get attending. 

The game’s lack of an advertising push is exactly the reason that it won’t be a success. it’s an embarrassment that we can’t even get close to filling wembley for a game like this.

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

Interesting thought, PW71.  Personally, if I was in Rimmer's position and the crowd was a mere 65k, I would demand a bond from Saints next year!

1 minute ago, JonNgog said:

The game’s lack of an advertising push is exactly the reason that it won’t be a success. it’s an embarrassment that we can’t even get close to filling wembley for a game like this.

Sorry but "an advertising push" is something rugby league fans always say but it's so much harder than that statement makes out. It's not a tap you can turn on and generate an extra 30,000 people which is the impression you get from some posts.

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

Plus add in a few thousand Chemics and a few hundred Sheffield fans, maybe adding 5,000 to the gate. 

1 hour ago, M j M said:

Sorry but "an advertising push" is something rugby league fans always say but it's so much harder than that statement makes out. It's not a tap you can turn on and generate an extra 30,000 people which is the impression you get from some posts.

True but there is zilch, zero, no advertising about it in London. So don’t expect many Londoners there except the few of us who follow the game. 

4 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

True but there is zilch, zero, no advertising about it in London. So don’t expect many Londoners there except the few of us who follow the game. 

Does anyone without a vested interest in the game know about the Final? I’d argue that it’s only us fans who know about it, no adverts on the BBC about the coverage, nothing on radio etc. 

oh god, if I had a pound for every time I've heard these pleas for them to do something I'd be a lot wealthier. 

Where is the approach to the ''event culture'' in London Ralph Rimmer was talking about on Back Chat?

Its enough to make you weep. 

1 hour ago, EssexRL said:

so how much advertising costs would you suggest to get say 15,000 from London to the game. 

I'm all for advertising but the revenue must be more than the costs of the advertising by a good margin. to throw say £50,000 at it and get just 2 or 3 thousand extra mostly at discounted prices just does not add up as been worth the bother

13 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

so how much advertising costs would you suggest to get say 15,000 from London to the game. 

I'm all for advertising but the revenue must be more than the costs of the advertising by a good margin. to throw say £50,000 at it and get just 2 or 3 thousand extra mostly at discounted prices just does not add up as been worth the bother

Oh yes it does. What's important here is not the single transaction value of these customers, but the lifetime value. If they enjoy the event and come again to a rugby league event 3 or 4 times in their lives then the total yield outweighs the initial cost. I'm not advocating a loss making effort but you have to quantify the value of converting someone to live rugby league for the whole of their lives. 

4 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Unfortunately, the argument about whether there was 50k there is relevant.

There is also the fact that the RFL had to pretty much give tickets away to get the crowd they did last year. 65k would probably be 20k  more than last year which would be ok, but not great.

The fact this is Wire's 6th visit in the last decade is a challenge too.

40 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Oh yes it does. What's important here is not the single transaction value of these customers, but the lifetime value. If they enjoy the event and come again to a rugby league event 3 or 4 times in their lives then the total yield outweighs the initial cost. I'm not advocating a loss making effort but you have to quantify the value of converting someone to live rugby league for the whole of their lives. 

sorry but if its at the expense of another loss for the RFL then its one that can not be afforded. you can have all the expanding but not when your running at a loss  . 

34 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

sorry but if its at the expense of another loss for the RFL then its one that can not be afforded. you can have all the expanding but not when your running at a loss  . 

You have to manage your finances to allow you to be able to invest in these areas. Focusing too much on the short term financial position gets us where we are now.

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

You have to manage your finances to allow you to be able to invest in these areas. Focusing too much on the short term financial position gets us where we are now.

indeed but just focusing on the long term  is a very dangerous thing to do when you have short term obligations . a much better way is to ensure your short term objectives are secure before spending money you are wont even sure you will be able to cover in the future

4 hours ago, M j M said:

You could, for example, email me. An OurLeague member who lives in the south.

I mean, that's not an expense. That's just pushing a button on Mailchimp.

But, so far: nothing.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

People I know who're going all seem to have paid more for their tickets this year, seems to have been fewer of the last-minute cut-price offers going. Would be interesting to compare overall gate receipts with previous years, if that is possible.

An extra 5000 tickets for the 1895 cup is £200k+ extra, as most of the allocated tickets to both clubs were in the £40+ range.

2 hours ago, paul hicks said:

If you can't afford to do it you can't, but we've got 100 odd years of not even trying to bring in new customers.

How much have you spent in your lifetime on Rugby League?

I must have spent hundreds, possibly thousands of pounds.

If it costs us £100 to get a new customer and he spends £500 in his lifetime, that's a profit. If he also involves his family you get another £500 for each additional one of them.

I think we need to remember Wembley is a huge stadium. 70K at Old Trafford looks huge, 70K looks a bit sparse at Wembley.

If a combined 20,000 extra Saints and neutral fans attended compared to last year, we get 70,000 (20,000 short of capacity).

Widnes getting to the 1895 Cup Final may add a few thousand too.

70,000 is good in my view. Going back to July next year gives us a chance to reboot and start looking upwards with crowds again. 

Archived