CC final attendance

6 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

You get 40% discount for a group booking of 15 or more, it's possible that this is where this has come from 

Unfortunately it’s a sorry state of affairs if you need discounts for a major final in any sport. Changing date or venue will not change interest. So much in London to see after CC final or night before, top class shows, which can be booked with show/hotel deals. Great value all round. Is skylarks or broncos play Sunday then home!

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

On a recent BBC RL podcast, Ralph Rimmer reckoned 15/20% of tickets would be sold to people who live within an hour of Wembley (however that may be defined - e.g. an hour's drive north from Wembley is quite far, but not many people would be driving right up to Wembley)

He is deluded if he thinks that.

3 hours ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

On a recent BBC RL podcast, Ralph Rimmer reckoned 15/20% of tickets would be sold to people who live within an hour of Wembley (however that may be defined - e.g. an hour's drive north from Wembley is quite far, but not many people would be driving right up to Wembley)

It's basically Northampton so pretty impressive.  London Broncos do lots of great things for our game but their inability to draw a crowd unfortunately gives Northern RL fans the impression there aren't thousands and thousands of RL fans in the south.

On 09/08/2019 at 12:30, sweaty craiq said:

the CCF will not get the big gates in August with rail effected badly every year - the neutrals have much more to do with it being the last weeks of the school holidays etc. If we hit 65k this year then a more favourable calendar slot with similar teams hit 80k

How many would ordinarily travel by rail - excluding overground/tube within London? it works out cheaper to go on an organised coach and cheaper by car still. Sure some would go by train but not enough for the disruptions to make a difference in attendance numbers. You either want to go or you don't, it's as simple as that.

2 hours ago, kev p said:

Unfortunately it’s a sorry state of affairs if you need discounts for a major final in any sport. Changing date or venue will not change interest. So much in London to see after CC final or night before, top class shows, which can be booked with show/hotel deals. Great value all round. Is skylarks or broncos play Sunday then home!

Disagree... the criticism of England union is they give tickets away however they never have a problem 'selling out'their stadium for major games...

On 09/08/2019 at 12:49, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Interesting thought, PW71.  Personally, if I was in Rimmer's position and the crowd was a mere 65k, I would demand a bond from Saints next year!

They should be asking for £100k each from both clubs if it's only 65k, given the figure asked of Catalans would be equivalent to 25,000 if each seat sold averaged £20 net profit (after tax too) to the RFL and that's a bloody big if.

If it's not 75k+ then it should be looked as a huge disappointment, two very close rival teams meeting in the final for the first time, fans should be absolutely gagging to go especially saints lot.

IF the true attendance was 50k last year (it wasn't IMHO) then the RFL should be asking that money from both clubs if it doesn't reach 75k, or they at least tell us how much they are making on ticket sales so that we know how much a bunch of @@@@s they were for asking catalans for a bond

7 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

They should be asking for £100k each from both clubs if it's only 65k, given the figure asked of Catalans would be equivalent to 25,000 if each seat sold averaged £20 net profit (after tax too) to the RFL and that's a bloody big if.

If it's not 75k+ then it should be looked as a huge disappointment, two very close rival teams meeting in the final for the first time, fans should be absolutely gagging to go especially saints lot.

IF the true attendance was 50k last year (it wasn't IMHO) then the RFL should be asking that money from both clubs if it doesn't reach 75k, or they at least tell us how much they are making on ticket sales so that we know how much a bunch of @@@@s they were for asking catalans for a bond

I'll bet it won't reach 70k (although the RFL will possibly announce it does) , currently there are about 70k seats on sale/sold and still there is plenty of empty seats. The graphic for the block I am in shows sold out but in reality it is half full. 

Hull v Wigan got 68k iirc. That is probably par for this event for an attractive fixture at the moment.

Wire playing there for the 6th time in 11 finals will knock off a lot of 'must-go' casual supporters.

51 minutes ago, saintspete83 said:

I'll bet it won't reach 70k (although the RFL will possibly announce it does) , currently there are about 70k seats on sale/sold and still there is plenty of empty seats. The graphic for the block I am in shows sold out but in reality it is half full. 

How do you know that? 

20 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

You get 40% discount for a group booking of 15 or more, it's possible that this is where this has come from 

No it’s a specific one targeting business as of this week - not related to the one you mention as I’ve used that in the past. 

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Hull v Wigan got 68k iirc. That is probably par for this event for an attractive fixture at the moment.

Wire playing there for the 6th time in 11 finals will knock off a lot of 'must-go' casual supporters.

Agreed - I think it'll be just under that this year: about 66-67k. I think Saints will have sold well but due to Warrington's regular attendance at the final and lack of actually winning recently has dampened the enthusiasm with the support - hence why more areas are sold out in our end that yours. Not a dig; just reality I think.

27 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Agreed - I think it'll be just under that this year: about 66-67k. I think Saints will have sold well but due to Warrington's regular attendance at the final and lack of actually winning recently has dampened the enthusiasm with the support - hence why more areas are sold out in our end that yours. Not a dig; just reality I think.

Indeed.

I recall as a Leeds fan that in the 2011 Grand Final the Saints end was significantly down on numbers in comparison to the 2007-2009 years. it was your 6th final on the trot though and you had lost the previous 4. stands to reason the novelty factor will wear off  after several years of final appearances. 

My guess is the attendance will be around 70k which is not bad and would pretty much fill Cardiff. I agree with others who have said the final of the CC is now far more suited to that venue. 

4 hours ago, dkw said:

How do you know that? 

The block I am in is in the saints end but tickets are being sold by Leigh. On the RFL we site it is has been shown as sold out for weeks but as you see in the following link its far from a sell out and these tickets are half price at £15 per adult

*edit last night there was half this block available now there's non. I hope they sold the remaining but somehow I doubt it. Maybe Leyther_Matt on here can clarify as I picked my tickets up of him. 

https://www.venuetoolbox.com/LeighSportsVillage/ASP/selectArea.asp?bookEvent=true&eventID={90629B30-39C5-4D1A-A97F-812C2A27F884}&homeArea=home

2 hours ago, LaneCoveTiger said:

I really wish the final would move back to Cardiff. Watched the Saints vs Wigan final there on DVD and the sense of occasion really stood out. Keep Wembley for an international match each year that can be sold to locals.

I was dead set against the cup leaving Wembley but now I think it might be for the best. Take it on the road like it was in the 00s. It's not Wembley as we remember anyway, as regards using it for internationals I think it would only work with gb/eng v oz. 

On 11/08/2019 at 22:08, DC77 said:

Tearing down the old Wembley was a mammoth blunder, not just from a sporting perspective (where it was an iconic destination for Cup finals). When you see those images of Freddie Mercury on stage at Live Aid...think of the musicians today who would have had goosebumps playing on the same stage. Looking out at the crowd thinking “I’ve seen this image before.” They’d have been pinching themselves...Coldplay, Ed Sheeran, Adele, Beyoncé..you name it.

That soulless bowl they’ve built does nothing for anyone, not sportsmen, not musicians. It’s not Wembley. Wembley was bulldozed. The only thing that remains is the address.

21 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

5 hours ago, saintspete83 said:

Looking at the blocks, they appear to show nearly full. They are not, the last 5 or so rows in each of the upper tier are not on sale yet, also some show alternate rows on sale, the others are not on sale yet, it’s done to show the ground is fuller than it is. I would imagine that all the finalists supporters who want tickets have them now, so sales will be a trickle now. 65k tops

Current status of the sales ... altho we know not all of the sold out have sold out.

EE983852-0AE2-45FF-9449-73C767DBEEA7.jpeg

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

7 minutes ago, kev p said:

Looking at the blocks, they appear to show nearly full. They are not, the last 5 or so rows in each of the upper tier are not on sale yet, also some show alternate rows on sale, the others are not on sale yet, it’s done to show the ground is fuller than it is. I would imagine that all the finalists supporters who want tickets have them now, so sales will be a trickle now. 65k tops

It's these graphics that are misleading. In reality 30-40% of these could be unsold. 

Screenshot_20190814_131645_com.android.chrome.jpg

A quick graphic to show attendances from 1980 on, the finals when Wigan got there/won it a fair few years on the trot didn't seem to lower the attendance but it had already down-turned since the mid 80s though I can't recal off the top of my head when Wembley had he reduced capacity, I don't it actually affected attendances.

Maybe the simple fact is that Wembley is 15k too big at least for the current needs of the CC final, that has been significantly affected by pushing it to August and the GF being pushed far more plus of course the cheap tickets situation for events such as magic weekend. I reckon without magic weekend and it been replaced with the Cc final at that point with ladies CC final beforehand it would add a significant number to the event.

cc final att.JPG

6 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

A quick graphic to show attendances from 1980 on, the finals when Wigan got there/won it a fair few years on the trot didn't seem to lower the attendance but it had already down-turned since the mid 80s.

Maybe the simple fact is that Wembley is 15k too big at least for the current needs of the CC final, that has been significantly affected by pushing it to August and the GF being pushed far more plus of course the cheap tickets situation for events such as magic weekend. I reckon without magic weekend and it been replaced with the Cc final at that point with ladies CC final beforehand it would add a significant number to the event.

cc final att.JPG

I do agree that it is to big. 90k is a hell of alot of seats to fill 

Archived